What Width Rims or What Rims Do I Have? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

What Width Rims or What Rims Do I Have?

Unsure of what rims these are. Ordering fresh tires today and BF Goodrich g-force Sport Comp-2 tires are on the car. 205/45 16 on the front. Yes, I just noticed they're on backwards. Planning to get the contiental extreme contact DW in the same sizes. Rear has 225's mounted.

Reading through the forums about how 205's aren't usually the best for the narrower base rims has me nervous... Anybody able to tell me which rims these are, or at least what width these are by looking at pics attached of the front tires/rims? Want to order right the first time out since shipping is murder to Hawaii (nearly 200 bucks shipping from tirerack).

-Paul

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:15 PM

Garage
Lotus Elise Wheel Setup and Options

You have the base wheels, 16x5.5.
DeafPaul likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:27 PM

Paul —

Those look like the “base” wheel for the Elise, but in the optional black finish. I believe the fronts are 5.5” x 16” and the rears are 7.5” 17”; if so, the original part numbers were C117G0028H and A120G0023H (respectively).

The stock tires would have been the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 in 175/55 x 16 (front) and 225/45 x 17 (rear). It looks like Tire Rack has the stock tires (but as the updated LTS2) in stock. I do not know what the differences are between with original LTS and the newer LTS2 tires.

I hope this helps.

— Mike
DeafPaul likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

My head hurts from trying to sort out tire options/sizes...

In a nuthsell, I've gathered that the 175 front was to force understeer for safety/less skilled drivers.

195's would probably be the ideal size, but what about diameter adjustment and the Lotus balance?

205's are better looking, have more traction, but not designed for skinny 5.5" width rims - sidewalls will flex more, providing for less feedback and less of a crisp response. Plus heavier.

195's it is, yeah? Still thinking I want to go with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport DW based on reviews and my daily driver status which includes rain or at least wet roads half of the time for parts of my commute. I also drive.. ahem... aggressively when there's no traffic so do want something sticky.

Do I want the fronts in 195/50ZR16 sizes or in 195/45ZR16 sizes for correct car set-up? Rear will be 225/45R17 (stock) unless there's a performance benefit to going to a different size. I used the forum search function and the google site:lotustalk function too but can't find any clear answers to the correct size ratios for going to 195's on the stock 5.5" rims.

Feedback?

-Paul
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Update: Continental.com doesn't list the ExtremeContact in a size smaller/narrower than 205/45 but TireRack sells it in 195/50, in limited supply. No other sizes available smaller or narrower. The 195 must be getting discontinued?

-Paul
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Yet another update so nobody needs to go through what I'm sorting out.

Going to 195/50R16 from the stock 175/55R16 fronts results in...
.1 inches higher, 23.6" to 23.7"
.8 inches wider, 6.9" to 7.7"

.1 inch diameter increase (+0.4%)
.8 inch wider increase (+11.6%)
No change in sidewall sizes
.3 increase in circumference (+0.4%)
3 less revolutions per mile

Speedo error change only .4 mph at 90 mph.

Looks like the only negative impact should be the additional weight and rolling resistance. Handling geometry should be pretty much the same. Positive impact will be up to date compound/tread and more front end grip, balancing out the car's understeer tendency.

As a sidenote, with the 205s currently on the front, I didn't have rubbing issues that I'm aware of. I also didn't have oversteer issues - it consistently slightly understeers, or drifts all four at low speed under power. It only wants to come around under aggressive trail-braking or hamfisting the throttle.

The Continental ExtremContact Sport in 195/50 is also approved for 5.5 rim width, up to 7.0 width.

-Paul
SufjansWasp likes this.

Last edited by DeafPaul; 11-07-2017 at 03:32 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

$658 shipped. Shipping was $191 bucks. Ugh.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 04:08 PM

Hi Paul - Confirmed we have the same rims now

Is there some benefit in using 195s on the front instead of the 175s?

No one on island carries the 175s, and 195s are iffy as well. American Tire Co can order these "special sized" tires on a container but it takes 2 months to arrive by ship. They have the Toyo R1Rs, but not the continental tires you want, and no yokohamas.

I think I will use Tire Rack:

ad07s front:
175/55/16

ad08s Back:
225/45/17

Shipping is $182

Anyone know if it's ok to use 07s up front, and 08s in the back? The ad08s don't come in a 175 or 195 option for the front

ETA - Tire Rack has the ad07s in LTS and LTS2. The LTS are listed as "Close out" tires for $107, and the LTS2 are $159.

Last edited by SufjansWasp; 11-07-2017 at 04:14 PM. Reason: see ETA
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Nein Kinder

Carefully inspect the Yokohamas you receive from Tire Rack. I ordered some LTS2 tires from them this summer ... one front tire was about 18 months older than the other. The other three tires had date codes from the previous 12 months and the two back tires had the same date code.

After I complained, they sent another tire to match the date code of the newer front tire. Their protests aside, tires exposed to air start aging; it’s not just light and temperature.

Glen
SufjansWasp likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Nein Kinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafPaul View Post
$658 shipped. Shipping was $191 bucks. Ugh.
In Alaska, my criteria was shipping couldn’t exceed the price of the item. You beat that handily!

As far as I know, the ABS wheel speed sensors at each corner send a signal to the ABS controller and that sends data to the ECU to generate a speed for display. I’m not sure what math the two boxes do, so your speedo error may not be in direct proportion to the tire diameter. With stock tires, my speedo reads 11% low, so after any tire change it would still be wrong.

I’ve got about 5,000 miles on the Continental ExtremeContact Sports I put on my Porsche. I like them. Compared to the Bridgestone RE-11s they replaced:

- The sidewall is a lot stiffer, making it easier to tell what the tire is doing. Good feedback during high side loads.

- Ride quality doesn’t seem any worse and tread noise is less.

- The Continentals resist tramlining much better.

- Tread wear is much better. The Bridgestone only lasted 5,000 miles on the rear and I have more than half the tread depth left on the Continentals at that mileage.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufjansWasp View Post
Hi Paul - Confirmed we have the same rims now

Is there some benefit in using 195s on the front instead of the 175s?
From what I've heard/figured out, 175's were put on the Elise because they provide less traction, and makes it less likely that people will spin out their Elises because the car will be very prone to under steering (front lets go before the back does). Going to 195 provides more traction, makes the car understeer less, will make the car stop faster under extreme braking, and make the tires last longer.

The bad things are... Less top speed, more unsprung weight, worse gas mileage. All of these by a very small percentage - I probably won't even notice any of the negatives, but will notice the positives.

-Paul
SufjansWasp likes this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 06:10 PM

This is a very deep rabbit hole. Sorry I didn't see it earlier, I could have helped you.

2006 Exige
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
This is a very deep rabbit hole. Sorry I didn't see it earlier, I could have helped you.
Any feedback or thoughts? Did I go in the right direction?

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Any feedback or thoughts? Did I go in the right direction?

Yes, I think you did great with the tire selection, and size. I'd personally pick a front tire with a shorter OD, 22.8" is actually perfect, as they fit balloons from the factory. But it's hard to find the correct size for the wheel, hence the balloon OE tires.

Anyway, well done.
DeafPaul likes this.

2006 Exige
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

195 fronts look good on the car in case anybody was wondering. Doesn't look skinny. Had a bit of a scare when they lifted the car and the car started to tilt backwards and off of the lift. Luckily just a few inches off of the ground and the operator stopped the lift just in time. Used a jackstand on one of the rear tierods to keep it from tipping over more and they did the change. Was flooding and pouring rain when I drove it home. Can say the car drives much more true now. For the first time I was able to let go of the steering wheel for more than a couple of seconds at over 25 mph without the car darting off of the road. Was surprised since no alignment or geometry changes were made. Pics attached of tires on the car.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 09:06 AM

Jesus christ, you cant lift these on a lift, where have you been? (not stock)

Where did they lift at? Possibly they have damaged your chassis.
glb likes this.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 09:27 AM

Queball...

2006 Exige
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

They lifted at the 4 marked lift points with thick rubber blocks (which looked better than the hockey pucks I brought along) . I did warn them that these cars were rear heavy and known to tip over backwards regardless which is why it was caught/stopped a few inches off of the ground. It didn't slide off so I assume all is well.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
They lifted at the 4 marked lift points with thick rubber blocks (which looked better than the hockey pucks I brought along) . I did warn them that these cars were rear heavy and known to tip over backwards regardless which is why it was caught/stopped a few inches off of the ground. It didn't slide off so I assume all is well.

The 4 marked points are NOT to be used together. You use just the middle one and lift one side at a time, or you use the front one and the rear crossbar under the shear panel.

There are like 100 threads about this...

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
The 4 marked points are NOT to be used together. You use just the middle one and lift one side at a time, or you use the front one and the rear crossbar under the shear panel.

There are like 100 threads about this...
In his defense, he's been here a year, and has 128 posts. Beyond that, many have had jacking/lifting issues with the car, and it's something people don't normally think about until they have an issue.
DeafPaul likes this.

2006 Exige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in