whats the point of a waitlist? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

whats the point of a waitlist?

my dealer wouldn't specify if they will give me the car for MSRP or not...if they want to charger a markup and im not willing to pay it, will they just sell the car to whoever will pay extra for it? if this is the case...what is the purpose of a waitlist anyways?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 06:29 PM

Garage
There isnt one. So I would politely tell them that, and then move on to a dealer who will work with you.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 01:02 AM

Also, didn't someone else post that Symbolic (right dealer?) didn't have a "firm" list and they couldn't promise positions as they wanted to take care of "valued(read rich) customers first.

Wouldn't waste my time with them. Find a dealer that will give your list number and guarantee MSRP, they're out there. The greedy ones who're going to rape the first buyers can suck wind as far as I'm concerned.

Chris

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

theres only 3 dealers in my area...thousand oaks...beverly hills (symbolic), and costa mesa (european motor cars)...beverly hills is offering the car for MSRP however i would have to be 43rd on the wait list. thousand oaks has like 20 something and they dont know if they will offer for msrp...so i ended up doing it at costa mesa since i am #5 on teh waitlist..however i think i will be charged a dealer markup. is there anyway i can argue with them so that i can pay for msrp without them giving my car away to someone that will pay more?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 02:37 AM

Garage
Im going to have to fly down to pick up my car, and make a 7+ hour drive home.

If I were you I'd consider looking at a dealer out of state.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 03:17 AM

HI dwei,
Lotus has around 40 dealers at present. I'd recommend going to the website and looking around. Even if the distance is long you could always have it shipped, especially if it's difference between getting at MSRP or not.

I have a deposit with Star Motors in Houston, a good bunch(Wally is the guy to talk to) I put my original deposit there, because at the time Spruell was the only dealer in Atl. and I didn't really get a warm and fuzzy feeling talking with them back in Jan 02. So I'd planned a long drive from texas when picking the car up. Course now I'm #2 at LOA and loving it.

Also, you might get a lower number if you shop some of the other dealers.

Chris
PS>Jenn, I didn't realize you were that far from ATL! I was thinking you lived in Charlotte.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 06:20 AM

You might want to consider Steve Harris Imports in Salt Lake City. At the beginning of the year they started a waitlist but would not take any money. They are now taking deposits ($1000). I now have a purchase agreement from them stating MSRP. Their waitlist is low. I think it may only be 6 people, of course they will probably get less cars than much bigger dealerships.
Good Luck.

2006 Exige Chrome Orange
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 08:48 AM

I know from personal experience with the BMW MINI that the whole waiting list thing can be very frustrating and ultimately a useless exercise. But you really have little alternative, given the limited quantities that the Elise will be offered in.

As stated above, shop around, stay plugged in and try to develop a good, solid rapport with whatever dealer that you end up going with. Check in with them frequently, make sure they get to know you and that you are serious about getting this car. I think that many of the Lotus dealers and sales guys are as excited about the Elise as we are, and want them to go to good homes !

Covered in Brandy and Lard
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 10:22 AM

Garage
Do tell Mikester! What happened to you?

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 11:36 AM

Garage
Not to hijack, but how long is Doheny road in Beverly Hills? Is it hard to find, get around on?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 01:01 PM

In brief: I was quite high up on a waiting list (they weren't taking deposits though) at a big local BMW dealer and when the cars finally came in, it was basically "whoever came in the door first, with cash in hand" and willing to pay for the car, the premium and the extra junk they threw on the car ("paint protection", wheel upgrades, lowjack) gets the car. And, they refused to place any "special orders" - cars without the extras that nobody really wanted - for quite sometime.

As it turned out, I didn't end up really wanting one, anyway, after the news of the federalized Elise came out, and esp. after actually test-driving the MINI (Cooper and S). It's okay but compared to even a Miata, not a very involving drive. At the end of the day it's another FWD hatchback with good build quality, interesting styling and some very clever marketing.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 01:09 PM

Re: Doheny, it runs n-s from Pico to Sunset, about 2 miles. It's one of the main streets in The Hills of Beverly, east of Beverly Drive and west of Robertson. Easy to find.

So, why do you ask ?

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 02:30 PM

Garage
A friend of mine just purchased a condo on Doheny, and has asked me to purchase one as well, some kind of great deal apparently......but im not familiar with the area.

I have family in Ontario, Alta Loma area but to be honest for all my visits Ive never stopped in BHills.

Jenn

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 04:36 PM

I'm not really familiar with Doheny specifically either, but in general it's a very nice area. A high-rent district, for sure !

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 05:22 PM

Garage
The person who's trying to talk me into it is someone that I dont always trust judgement wise. Thought I'd ask the locals. LOL..

If its high rent Beverly HIlls I prolly cant afford it anyway, lol.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 05:45 PM

Re: Mini - The waiting lists for the Mini were spots people just "signed up" for - there was no money behind them. In theory, anyone could have just walked up and put their name down to be on the list.

In that sense, the list for the Elise is much different, being that we have already, in effect, purchased the car (or put money towards it, anyway).

I don't doubt that I'll get pushed back by Mr. Rich who buys a new Ferrari from my dealership every year, but I feel fairly confident that if Joe Schmoe comes walking up to the dealer with a fistful of money come next April, my place in line will still be reserved.

I don't mind being pushed a little bit back in line anyway - it's just that much closer I'll be to paying for the thing in cash (my "Elise" fund has already been started. )
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:06 AM

Thumbs up

Yup, the Elise situation is different. I feel much more secure now that I have placed a deposit on the car

And, I've been able to test-drive the car (at least the closest thing, the European-spec version) and it absolutely did not disappoint - far from it !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in