Why not get a 111R ? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ya hachu
There's not a single thing I can think of that I prefer on the U.S Elise, though I'm open to suggestions.
Ya,
Suggestion:

The US elise is US legal and coming in June, need I say more?

Yep, unfortunately our road laws forced Lotus to put the fender sigs and airbags. But given the choice of no elise or an elise with airbags and fender lights, I'll take the latter for sure The alcantera I had on my Cat wheel faded badly after only one year and went from a nice red to tomato soup orange. Glad it's not coming here!

Chris

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 04:49 AM

Thats why you get light grey alcantera. Looks great forever....

Or dark blue like the audi s4 people have and continue to have looking great since 2000.

Scot
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:04 AM

Or.... you get leather!
Chris

Chris

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:07 AM

(just to be difficult )

Not on the dash you dont!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:15 AM

Isn't there anyone else out there that thinks alcantera looks like a redneck jacket from the late 80's? Uggg.. I can't stand it, and I'm glad it's not on the Elise. Not to mention that is stains really easy, fades, and dries out quickly.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:28 AM

Re: Why not get a 111R ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sownman
Since the Federal Elise seems to be a low priority for Lotus. By that I mean it's coming after the Toyota Elise in Europe (111R)and Australia, as well as behind the Toyota Exige. Whats wrong with this scenario....

The Rover Elise could not be imported due to smog regulations and safety equipment. The Seven somehow can be registered despite lacking safety gear. The 111R lacks some safety gear, but does conform to smog. Why not purchase a 111R and import ?

Steve

My thought is, if you're going to go through the hassle of getting a car imported, getting it declared legal, etc., why bother with a car that is going to already be here by the time your importing and legal paperwork take place? If it were me, I'd bring over an Exige. You'd have to go through the same hurdles, same costs, same timeframe, etc., but you'd have an Exige.

This, of course, is assuming that the homogoation (sp?) impact points are all the same between the Elise and the Exige (and I can't see why they wouldn't be???)

My $.02
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:04 AM

Re: Why not get a 111R ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sownman
Why not purchase a 111R and import ?
Because the DOT regs specifically prohibit it. You can not bring in a non-federal spec. car if the manufacturer makes (or will make) a US version of the car.

There are also some exceptions for individuals bringing in a single car that does not meet certain federal safety regulations (i.e. air bags), but there are absolutely no exceptions for not meeting EPA regulations (i.e. smog legal and
OBD-II equipped). Since Lotus will bring in the Federal Elise, you cannot bring in a 111R (at least not for street use).

The Seven is a kit car, not a manufactured car, so there are exceptions for kit cars. Even if you disassembled a non-US Elise, that doesn't make it a kit car.

As to the Toyota engined Elise being sold elsewhere before the US; Lotus might just be working out the bugs on the 111R, before it gets to the US. Past experience (the M100) has show that US purchaser's expectations are higher and we are more "sue happy" than others. Finally, maybe they are just building a batch of them to ship them all over in a short time, so that they start getting spread all over the country at once, rather than people on one coast getting upset because the other coast got them first...

Tim Mullen

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:18 AM

My take on it is this. They have been selling the elise in the UK for years. They are your known quantity. They KNOW what the car is supposed to be like. If you give them a new version of the old car first, their feedback will be solidly about the new changes and also lets them know you still think they are important.

The dealer network there is SOLID. Everyone lives near a dealer in some sense, and they will have enough time to go through the cars properly.

America has much more strict (for the seller) laws about warrantees and service. We are also much less obliged to get service on a regular schedule and at the said dealer. Lotus is also held liable for the car on a higher level here vs there.

They MUST get the bugs worked out, they are too small to have a recall, and the dealers are too far away to not have a huge amount of political backlash.

Let the brits have some fun. Just make sure to include a few alcantera cutouts for the dash and steering wheel in the car. Make a mistake in my favor.

Scot
I want my alcantera!
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 09:42 AM

The Fed Elise is probably no different from the start up process on the S2.

Lotus usually starts building them pretty slowly at first and then very gently ramps up the production.

When I ordered my S2 in late 2000 the dealer only had an allocation for 7 cars on the entire year for 2001. I got mine delivered in December 2001.

Only around mid/late 2002 did Lotus finally reach normal production levels on the S2 and the early problems mostly fixed.

So for the Fed Elise I would expect that the initial 2000 or so cars will not be spread across the year in a constant stream, but a very small amount in the first 6 months and then ramping up during the final 6 months.

Dealer demo cars and journalist test cars are usually the first in line and customer cars slowly arriving after that.

Even if the differences between the 111R and the Fed Elise are small they may still cause problems for initial customers (small manufacturer, no money for huge/long test programs), so a slow start-up helps to iron out the 'kinks' in the early cars.

Bye, Arno.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in