Will this happen to the Elise... Again? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,744
Will this happen to the Elise... Again?

I saw this on EBay. It seems someone took a brand new R32 for a test drive... and wrecked it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2466571857
Derek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:06 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,000
Wasn't it the Saffron Yellow Elise (that was formerly black) that was being shipped around the US as a demo that got wrecked? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly?

I don't know the circumstances behind the R32 accident, but I just don't understand how people could be so wreckless with a car that isn't theirs?

Bob
rtking is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Registered User
 
Modern Wedgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 2,744
It was the laser blue test car. It's just about repaired now, after a few months at the shop.

The front clam was destroyed, and the car that the elise hit wasnt even scratched

Long live the
Modern Wedgie is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Registered User
 
atyclb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally posted by rtking

I don't know the circumstances behind the R32 accident, but I just don't understand how people could be so wreckless with a car that isn't theirs?

Bob
actually, the problem was that they weren't wreckless.

atyclb is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
The front clam was destroyed, and the car that the elise hit wasnt even scratched [/B]
Maybe Elisetalk needs a tracker for all the US Elise and if an unfortunate event strikes and the little Elise has to pass onto a better place, we can give it a place where her remaining friends and family can remember her contribution and achievements.
agent.5 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 03:23 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally posted by atyclb:
actually, the problem was that they weren't wreckless.
LOL! Actually your reply reminds me of a quote I read in Car and Driver once:

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the near instantaneous deceleration that does..." -Csaba Csere

Maybe we should start banning immovable objects!

Bob
rtking is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bedford, NY
Posts: 6,301
Notice the VW was silver - if it had been yellow, the other car would have seen it coming
ivan1 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 587
huh. $18.4k bid on a car with $11k in *ostensible* damage, and the reserve still isn't met??

Isn't the car only ~$30k to begin with? And it's a demo car, to boot, and one that obviously hasn't been driven conservatively at all.

I can't believe anyone has bid it up that high.... actually nevermind, yes I can.

What a bad idea...

- John
suv_bait is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Registered User
 
smoseley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 12,193
Quote:
Originally posted by agent.5
Maybe Elisetalk needs a tracker for all the US Elise and if an unfortunate event strikes and the little Elise has to pass onto a better place, we can give it a place where her remaining friends and family can remember her contribution and achievements.
Sounds like cool functionality.... maybe homepages? I could add homepage functionality to uselise.com, where everyone gets a subdomain like http://agent5.uselise.com/ or http://transio.uselise.com/ and can create their homepage (or memorial LOL) there- what do you guys think of that?



smoseley is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 08:11 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,201
Thanks for supporting my little idea. I have that eerie feeling that any accident with a SUV at over 20 mile per hour will totalled the Elise. I sincerely hope all Elise's drivers and their passengers will escape injury.

Even the body of an Elise will be towed away and most likely will be destroyed, her soul will live on, and she will be remembered deep inside our hearts.

The memorial will be a monument to the spirit, sacrifice, and commitment of the Elise to the safety of her passengers and to the broader causes of peace and freedom from tyranny throughout the world.


Quote:
Originally posted by transio
Sounds like cool functionality.... maybe homepages? I could add homepage functionality to uselise.com, where everyone gets a subdomain like http://agent5.uselise.com/ or http://transio.uselise.com/ and can create their homepage (or memorial LOL) there- what do you guys think of that?
agent.5 is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Registered User
 
babak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally posted by agent.5
Thanks for supporting my little idea. I have that eerie feeling that any accident with a SUV at over 20 mile per hour will totalled the Elise. I sincerely hope all Elise's drivers and their passengers will escape injury.

Even the body of an Elise will be towed away and most likely will be destroyed, her soul will live on, and she will be remembered deep inside our hearts.

The memorial will be a monument to the spirit, sacrifice, and commitment of the Elise to the safety of her passengers and to the broader causes of peace and freedom from tyranny throughout the world.
All made complete by a shot of little Elises running from the tyranny of the SUV's piloted by Cylons.


Babak
Club111 Central Plains Coordinator

'05 Elise - Touring, HT, StarShield
'99 Ducati 996 Bip
'05 Freelander SE
babak is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Registered User
 
Canyon Carver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally posted by ivan1
Notice the VW was silver - if it had been yellow, the other car would have seen it coming
let's not start that discussion again please
Canyon Carver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome