Crystalline window film (tint) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Crystalline window film (tint)

For those of you that have installed 3M Crystalline on your front windshield, do you have any issues with distortion when looking out the windshield?

I just had mine done several days ago, and the distortion is still there, especially when I look at a lane line when driving. The line looks jagged, instead of one solid line. The installer says that it might get better over time, but that it could be because the windshield has such a steep angle to it. So far it's been garaged the whole time. So, I'm going to leave it out in the heat tomorrow (108F) and see if it gets better. I hope it goes away, because the film seems to be helping with the heat.

'10 Solar Yellow Evora
'06 Chili Red Elise (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM

How much did the install run you?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:28 PM
kaz

Get it in the heat, and it takes a LONG time but will clear out smooth eventually. It does work wonders for your AC though doesn't it?

2006 Elise : JFG | Nitrons | 2bular 8" Single | IMRP aero | TWRD carbon | K20/24 NA | DRS EFI/Cosworth dash and tuning

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 AM

My installation is great, no problems. Anyone who is considering tinting should understand that Crystalline is state of the art and unlike any other film. It is expensive compared to other tints but you get what you pay for. Dramatically reduces solar heat in the cockpit, helping the A/C to work better.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_alien View Post
For those of you that have installed 3M Crystalline on your front windshield, do you have any issues with distortion when looking out the windshield?

I just had mine done several days ago, and the distortion is still there, especially when I look at a lane line when driving. The line looks jagged, instead of one solid line. The installer says that it might get better over time, but that it could be because the windshield has such a steep angle to it. So far it's been garaged the whole time. So, I'm going to leave it out in the heat tomorrow (108F) and see if it gets better. I hope it goes away, because the film seems to be helping with the heat.
Get it in the heat as recommended above and see what happens. I pit Solarguard nano film on mine a while back (the 3m film was not out ) and it help a bunch. The installer should stand behind it if it does not clear up, I used Airpark Tint in Scottsdale for mine and there is no distortion.

John
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarao View Post
How much did the install run you?
It was $340 for the windshield and side windows.

'10 Solar Yellow Evora
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
It was $340 for the windshield and side windows.
That's not too bad at all. As others have stated it will definitely need to sit in the sun for a bit. I usually let my new tint sit in out for a good 3 days, but that's CO sun, not AZ sun.

I can't imagine how you guys stand that heat.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:13 AM

why tint a lotus

15 ML250 Bluetec
90 Spec Miata

Great minds discuss ideas, Average minds discuss events, Small minds discuss people.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 AM

My reason was to reduce solar heat in the cockpit. Other's, I imagine, like the darker look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
why tint a lotus
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
why tint a lotus
What Viper said -- to cut down on the heat coming through. I can feel the car get instantly hot when I'm going down the road, and making a left hand turn into the sun.

I wish they had a perfectly clear film, but the closest I could come was the 3M film at 70% light transmission, and 50% heat rejection. It definitely works.

I parked the car in the sun all day today, and the distortion didn't seem any different. I guess I'll keep parking outside for a while and see what happens. May be the distraction will go away in time.

'10 Solar Yellow Evora
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
why tint a lotus
Don't own one yet? The a/c is kinda weak.

2006 Elise, Ardent Red, Black Pack, LSS wheels, shocks and springs.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:36 AM

Actually, by automotive glass standards, 70% is considered clear. 70% is what regular glass is on cars, therefore the installation of 70% Crystalline makes no difference.
Quote:
What Viper said -- to cut down on the heat coming through. I can feel the car get instantly hot when I'm going down the road, and making a left hand turn into the sun.

I wish they had a perfectly clear film, but the closest I could come was the 3M film at 70% light transmission, and 50% heat rejection. It definitely works.

I parked the car in the sun all day today, and the distortion didn't seem any different. I guess I'll keep parking outside for a while and see what happens. May be the distraction will go away in time.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 AM

Will the 3M tint also protect the windshield from rock chips? I have been looking for a product that would works like Starshield for the windshield.

vincesf
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesf View Post
Will the 3M tint also protect the windshield from rock chips? I have been looking for a product that would works like Starshield for the windshield.

vincesf
No. Window tint goes inside the window.

2006 Elise, Ardent Red, Black Pack, LSS wheels, shocks and springs.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 AM

Tint films are always applied to the inside of the glass. Of course there have been a few reports of rocks impacting the inside of rear window, I guess in this case the film may offer some protection.
Michael
Quote:

vincesf
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
Actually, by automotive glass standards, 70% is considered clear. 70% is what regular glass is on cars, therefore the installation of 70% Crystalline makes no difference.
Well, you're half right. Regular glass has 70% light transmission, the same as the 3M film. But by placing the film onto the glass, the light transmission is now 0.7 x 0.7 = 0.49, so now only 49% of the light is reaching the interior, instead of the 70% with the Lotus glass. The windshield now looks slightly darker with the film, but it's not obnoxiously dark.

'10 Solar Yellow Evora
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:17 PM

While I agree with the mathmatics, in practice it is not apparent.
Top of the window is single layer of 70%
Bottom of the window is a double layer of 70%
(can just make out the horizontal line)
Quote:
Well, you're half right. Regular glass has 70% light transmission, the same as the 3M film. But by placing the film onto the glass, the light transmission is now 0.7 x 0.7 = 0.49, so now only 49% of the light is reaching the interior, instead of the 70% with the Lotus glass. The windshield now looks slightly darker with the film, but it's not obnoxiously dark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5368.jpg (50.8 KB, 48 views)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:33 PM

Lotus installs tinted glass (according to their website and literature), but it only does so much I suppose. It would be an interesting test to have two like cars, same color interior, left in sunshine with identical thermometers inside each, one car with stock windows, one with 3M Crystalline.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 PM

I did before and after temperature readings. The surface temperature reduction was approx. 25'F.

QUOTE=JoeTodd;1075411]Lotus installs tinted glass (according to their website and literature), but it only does so much I suppose. It would be an interesting test to have two like cars, same color interior, left in sunshine with identical thermometers inside each, one car with stock windows, one with 3M Crystalline.[/QUOTE]
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Probably Lurking

Quote:

vincesf
ClearPlex Invisible Windshield Protection Filmes .::. Manufactured by MADICO

BTW, I have never used this product. I've had it linked in the Uberpost since rear windows started getting damaged.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Resource Center > Lotus Resource Center(LRC) > Exterior(LRC)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in