Side Mirror Comparison: Stock, Lotus Convex, & Craftsquare - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nobuyasu
  • 1 Post By Nobuyasu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Side Mirror Comparison: Stock, Lotus Convex, & Craftsquare

Original thread located here- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238...tsquare-84865/

I know there have been reviews done in the past on side view mirrors, but I was unable to find a post that did an apples to apples viewing comparison. I currently have and use Craftsquare mirrors, and I just picked up a pair of Lotus wide angle/convex mirrors. I wanted to give them a shot as I’m not a big fan on how the Craftsquare mirrors look compared to the factory mirrors. Unfortunately, I don’t have a pair of Multivex mirrors to compare, and I didn’t consider them because I don’t like the way it looks when glued or taped to the factory mirror https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/...-review-12311/.

Enough with me rambling…Let’s get to the comparisons.

The setup I created for the comparison is pretty straight forward. I setup some boxes next to my Elise to best simulate the actual height and angles of where the mirrors would actually sit if there were on the Elise. I marked the top of the box to make sure the mirrors are placed in the right spot and properly T’ed up when switching them out. I placed my camera on tripod (for those interested, I used a Nikon D300 SLR camera with a VR 18-200mm lens). Again, the angle and height was done to simulate the height and angle of where the driver would actually sit in the Elise. I set the zoom on the first mirror and I did not change it when swapping mirrors. The only adjustment was the focus. Below are the setup pics and results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (297.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (293.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (271.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (197.2 KB, 66 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Mirror comparison pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (148.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (150.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 7.JPG (144.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 8.JPG (140.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 9.JPG (137.0 KB, 66 views)
sanfranlotus likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I have three shots of the Craftsquare mirror (last three pictures above). This mirror has a triangular shape on one end. So it was easy to T the factory mirror, but I didnít know how I should show the viewing for the Craftsquare. Thus, the three different views depending on how one would like to angle this mirror.

In terms of actually road test, Iím going to echo what has been stated in the past about the Craftsquare. The Craftsquare basically eliminate the blind spot on both drivers and passenger side of the car. So if youíre a lazy lane changer, a mere glance (which is never recommended) with the Craftsquare will pretty much tell you if itís safe to move over or not. If you do this with your factory mirrors, youíre playing Russian Roulette with surrounding cars being the bullet...that is unless you have your mirrors ďperfectlyĒ adjusted https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f238...mirrors-74263/. Iím planning to put the Lotus convex mirrors on tomorrow. So, Iíll update this post after getting some road time.
sanfranlotus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Resource Center > Lotus Resource Center(LRC) > Exterior(LRC)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in