Window Cable loose & bound up... Diagram Help Please! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Window Cable loose & bound up... Diagram Help Please!

One day after I finally replaced my passenger switch, the window made a popping noise and struggled to come up. I left it as it was (up) and took it apart to investigate.

Turns out the tension spring must of come undone and the cable popped off resulting in the cable binding up. I put it all back together but it just does the same thing again. Is there a way to adjust the tension in the cable so that this doesn't happen again?

I would love to see a diagram of the window assembly if anyone has it so I can vision what I'm trying to do or if it's possible. It's bad enough fitting your arm back there trying to feel around.

Enjoy the pic, the cable on the left is the one popping off the bracket and if you look closely you can see where it was bound.

Thanks as always.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Moderator Extraordinaire!

I have one of these regulators in working condition off the car at home. When I get home after work this evening I can take a photo or photos of it if that will help you.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Please do, that would be extremely helpful. Also do you know anything about how they attach at the other end? I can't see or find my handy dandy lighted mechanics mirror!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasanch5 View Post
Please do, that would be extremely helpful. Also do you know anything about how they attach at the other end? I can't see or find my handy dandy lighted mechanics mirror!
The regulator is still attached to the cables and the frame work so you should be able to see everything when I post the photos. Just hang in there and check back in a couple of hours from now for my post.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:28 PM

OK, here are the photos. This first group shows the cable wrapped around the spool:

Attachment 131116

Attachment 131117

Attachment 131118

Attachment 131119

What comes to my immediate attention is that your cable tensioning springs are not compressed which must mean the cable has not been wound around the spool enough times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Window regulator 001.JPG (145.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Window regulator 002.JPG (144.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Window regulator 003.JPG (146.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Window regulator 008.JPG (145.3 KB, 26 views)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:35 PM

Here are the rest of the photos showing the lift frame and the cable attachments and pulleys. As you can see the wire cable core is one piece (the window lift on the track is attached to the middle of the exposed cable) with two sheaths and the ends of the cable are retained in the spool after being wound around the spool the proper number of times which also sets the tension. The cable is tensioned properly when the springs on the sheaths are both nearly completely compressed.

Attachment 131120

Attachment 131121

Attachment 131122

Attachment 131123

And here is the last photo showing the entire assembly:

Attachment 131124

If you need a photo of the spool with the retaining cover off, I would be willing to do it for you if you can assure me the assembly won't spring apart and end up like yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Window regulator 004.JPG (136.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Window regulator 005.JPG (137.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Window regulator 006.JPG (142.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Window regulator 007.JPG (151.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Window regulator 009.JPG (135.1 KB, 25 views)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the photos! They are most helpful!

So if I understand correctly the cable is one unit and is continuous.

My unit seemed to only wrap around maybe 1.25 times... as in the photo. I'm not sure if I tried to wrap it more. I think I did but there was still a bit too much slack and the tension spring popped off. I'll have to check in the morning.

Thanks again for the pics. This is so frustrating. Can you confirm the amount of times each side is wrapped around? Mine is the passenger side window. The cable that is loose when the window is up is the one that's faulty.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 05:08 AM

Yes, the cable is one unit and continuous with the two ends wrapped around the spool and retained by the spool. One end wraps up the spool face and the other down it so when the motor runs one way, one cable is pulled and wraps around the spool while the other unwraps at the same rate. The regulator in my photos is in the full window down position so all of these observations are with the spool and cable in this position. The loose sheath/cable end in your photo is the one going to the lower end of the track (when the cable is pulled on it would lower the window) and is the cable shown in my second photo of the spool. As you can see from my photo, the cable starts its winding in the second groove from the top end of the spool. It then is wound about 3-1/8 turns around the spool and the end of the cable is captured in the lower end of the spool. The other sheath/cable end that is still tight in your photo (when pulled on it would raise the window) enters the spool on the second groove on the opposite side of the other cable end and is wound about 1-1/8 turns around the spool with the cable end captured in the top end of the spool under the spool retaining cover. As far as I know, the regulator in my photos is a passenger side like yours and the part number on the tag to check to make sure is B117U0390. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance or if you need more photos.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

So if you pull on the wheel too hard with the cover off this happens:

And after about 15 min of attempts I managed to return it to how it was but then...

After returning it to it's original location there still wasn't enough tension as before. This makes sense as I really didn't change anything. I was able to straighten out the cable with some pliers so it's no longer bound up or crimped.

Any suggestions?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:35 PM

The only thing I can figure is that possibly the cable came off one of the black pulleys on the track which could be causing the extra cable length after you have reinstalled the cable on the spool. Unless both of those cable springs are fully compressed there is no way the regulator will work. I'm afraid you may have to remove the window and the entire track assembly along with the cable and motor in order to find out what has gone wrong.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Where do I start? Any directions? Thanks for your input thus far. -JD
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:02 PM

I'm leaving for home from work right now and will look in the service manual for the directions. I will post them for you once I have them.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Here are the instructions from the service manual. It doesn't look too difficult:

Attachment 131211

Attachment 131212

Attachment 131213

If you find you can't repair it, I can possibly sell you the one from my photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Window reg 001.JPG (719.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Window reg 002.JPG (723.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Window reg 003.JPG (707.2 KB, 26 views)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great support! Ha ha I might need a replacement from you if I cannot buy "just" the cable from the dealership or online. Your directions helped a ton and I just removed the assembly... This is what was causing the slack... Bummer.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Yep, that broken plastic cable sheath retainer was the cause of your problem....major bummer! As far as I can tell Lotus only sells the cable with the entire assembly and not by itself, but who knows, maybe someone else has just the cable to sell. Is it possible to repair or replace that plastic part with something else that will work?

Just PM me if you end up needing my regulator.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 03:25 PM

There's gotta be a way to get that working without having to buy a whole new assembly $$$$. I would try relieving the tension to get the broken parts back together and into the bracket and glob jb weld all over it. Maybe a little fiberglass cloth wrapped around it too. It'll look fugly but who cares?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 03:42 PM

Another option might be to remove the broken plastic part and use a metal cable retainer/adjuster from a motorcycle like this one:

Attachment 131320

I may actually have one of these laying around at home if you want me to check it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable.jpg (18.2 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Resource Center > Lotus Resource Center(LRC) > Interior(LRC)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in