Laser Interceptor - install in an Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Laser Interceptor - install in an Elise

I finally finished installing my Laser Interceptor dual head jamming system in my '08 Elise. With all the hanging upside down and contorting to fit my frame under the dash of the Elise, I think I need to make an appointment with the Chiropractor.

I'm putting this up to help guide any other brave souls that want to go this route.

Make sure you get good clean power. The first effort tried to tap into power from the head-unit which was also sharing power with the V1. This lead to getting an error message (quite frustrating) and only one sensor was active. When talking to the US distributor for this product, he was very helpful to troubleshoot and help me through the issue.

Install:

Found fuses in the passenger side footwell and added a fuse tap to get a power connection without needing to splice into any wires. [borrowed the second shot from elsewhere here on LT] You can see how the tap connects to the spot where there was a fuse - just move it to the first position - then add a fuse for your needs. In this case, the tap provided switchable power.

Next, I mounted the "CPU" unit. This is where the sensors connect, plug in the harnesses and has the built in speaker. You will see two harnesses power, ground and switching on the left and a Serial cable on the right. I'm using the serial cable to connect to a "parking assist" switch (more later). This is also the port you would connect to your computer to update the firmware and make other customizations. Mounted next to the driver's side switch stack for easy access to the harnesses and sensor wires.

The switches were mounted inside the little cubby on the left of the steering wheel. The closest switch is the on/off switch and the one behind controls the "mode" of the unit - switching from JAM to Parking Assist. When in PA mode, the sensors act as laser rangefinders and will provide an audible tone when something is in front of them (around 2 feet and will increase speed as the object gets closer). This serves two functions - actual parking assist (but who really needs that in a Lotus ) - and - if you do get pulled over and the officer asks if you are jamming - you can just switch the unit to Parking mode and it won't jam his laser gun.

Now to running the leads for the transceivers. I used the included hardware and found mounting positions just inside the front grill. I removed the two outside clip tabs to accommodate the sensors. The grill still mounts securely using the two inboard top clips. The brackets were screwed into the fiberglass using the included screws. I still need to black out the rivets.

All of the exposed wiring was covered in mesh wire loom and zip tied. Here you can see the wire routing to the rear and up in the foam padding gap around the radiator. I used some stiff wire to fish the sensor wires up.

This is where the sensor wires come up through the space by the foam gasket. Zip tied town and routed to the drivers side.

Now to get the sensor wires into the cabin. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the aluminum straight down from this hole in the plastic part (next to the brake fluid reservoir). I used a grommet to protect the wires. The sensor wires then connect to the back of the CPU.

Here is the finished view of the sensors up front. You have to get down low to see them.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing this. There is a lot of info on RadarDetector.net forum and if you check out this thread - you can get a discount code for 10% off.
Now its time to hit the streets and see if this saves my bacon.

'08 Elise SC Storm Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 04:51 AM

Excellent write up, thanks. My only comment is that there is a wiring grommet on the passenger side that possibly your wiring could have gone through, without drilling a new hole.
Michael
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpile View Post
Oregon
Radar Detectors in Oregon: Radar detectors are legal to use in Oregon, however they may not be used in commercial vehicles.
Laser Jammers in Oregon: Laser jammers are legal to use in Oregon.

Source: Review Radar Detector Laws and Laser Jammers for Speed Trap Protection
You really don't want to use such equipment (laser jammers or radar detectors) anywhere it's illegal. The penalties are worse than the ticket itself. In Oregon, it's legal and using one has saved my bacon before. Here's a map indicating where it may be legal and where it's illegal. Of course you will want to do your own research to be sure. Having the on/off switch and having a secondary usage (like Parking Assist) will help if you are ever questioned about it.

It's interesting that radar jammers are illegal nationwide - one reason is it's governed by the FCC while lasers are governed by the FDA. Hurray for government inefficiencies.
None of these measures are effective if you are driving at crazy speeds, but should help if LE is out there "fishing".

'08 Elise SC Storm Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Resource Center > Lotus Resource Center(LRC) > -Electrical-(LRC) > ---Electrical Accessories(LRC)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in