Intercooler Heat Shield - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Intercooler Heat Shield

Original thread located here- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...barrier-64460/

All -

Viva posted this GT3 car pic in a thread on a different subject

While I understand that most of the heat soak experienced by the intercooler during racing is due to lack of airflow from the hood scoop, has anyone looked to see if there any benefit to having a heat shield like the one pictured above? Is this available for sale?

I tried several searches and could not find this discussed before.

Notice the shield continues underneath the intercooler as well.

On a side note, what is the box in the lower left corner of the pic? Is it an oil catch can?

Click links to see my 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240 , '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold) , '05 WRX STI ( sold) homepages or here for my spin compilations (ispunuwin & ispinuwin2!)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricko View Post
I think that heat shield is there to keep the heat from the engine bay out of the cockpit.
I am talking about the shield that has the Lotus sticker on it.

Directly under the intercooler - between the intercooler and engine, not the shield between the driver compartment and the engine bay.

Click links to see my 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240 , '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold) , '05 WRX STI ( sold) homepages or here for my spin compilations (ispunuwin & ispinuwin2!)!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 AM

Here are 2 more photographs that maybe of interest.
These were taken in the Lotus paddock during the GT round at Snetterton in July 2006.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7154228.JPG (168.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg P7154234.JPG (208.9 KB, 78 views)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Well, I FINALLY got around to making an intercooler heat shield today. I don't have any way to take measurements, hopefully it helps some. Luckily my garage dog was there to help.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 PM

Further to my comments about my heat shield I just thought I would add a few pics of it lifted from my thread on exiges.com now its fitted.

Its 1.5mm Aluminium sheet, 580mm wide, 230mm deep with a 45deg kick at 190mm.
I managed to get the pressing done for free by a chap I know, however he used an offcut which was quite badly scratched so as I am a gjob I spoke to another friend who got it powdercoated for free :grin: (do you see a pattern?)
I know that black is possibly a crap colour for a heat shield but I dont think it will have to much of an effect and it just keeps everything looking tidy and OEM imho.

As you can see in the following pics the kick helps to guide the heat away from the supercharger and keeps it away from the intercooler.
I was still very keen to make sure I did not stop the heat getting away and increase engine bay temps, also the the shield did not make access difficult.

It does need to come off tomorrow so I can fit some trim tape between the mounts and the heat shield as I have a slight resonation but I can see it so its an easy fix.
Would be glad of any thoughts and comments.

Boothy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Resource Center > Lotus Resource Center(LRC) > -Engine-(LRC) > ---Forced Induction(LRC)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in