All British Field Meet in Portland, OR - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

All British Field Meet in Portland, OR

This weekend is the All British Field Meet at Portland International Raceway. Lots of cars, stuff for sale and racing. Featured race will be Can Am cars. Should be loud and noisey. The car show is Saturday. I'll drive my Elise up early in the AM. Racing is Sat and Sun. They are requesting people dress in period ala Goodwood. I hope those of you in the area come.

BTW, I was driving down the hill from my house in the hills above Eugene, OR when we came around a curve and 2 deer were in the road. One in our lane and the other in the uphill lane. The one in front jumped to our right and as I slowed the other decides to follow the other and jump over the Elise. Of course the top was down and this deer came right at us in the air. Unfortunately, it didn't quite make it. It struck its hooves against the windshield and the surround. Fortunately it didn't end up in the car in my wife's lap. It missed her head by inches. A very small scratch on the windshield and on the surround. The good Lord was looking out after us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolz
This weekend is the All British Field Meet at Portland International Raceway. Lots of cars, stuff for sale and racing. Featured race will be Can Am cars. Should be loud and noisey. The car show is Saturday. I'll drive my Elise up early in the AM. Racing is Sat and Sun. They are requesting people dress in period ala Goodwood. I hope those of you in the area come.
I'll probably be there but only as an observer. I had my car in the ABFM up here and I figure that was my one good clean up job that I had in me this summer.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 06:38 PM

Ah, it was good. It reinforced my belief that I won't have true happiness until I buy a Lotus 51. There was a good turnout of Elises in the show, and unlike the Seattle Meet where we had four SY cars, the was no color duplication in the group of five cars there.

There was an SY car there with a five point harness setup. If that was you, PM me. I have a question.

I didn't stay long though. I decided that I needed to head up towards Cougar and Windy Ridge. I had an unbelievably good time. The roads back between Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams are awesome, people moved out of my way without provocation and the only cop I saw staked out radared me after I had slowed way down to get a drink of water. Perfect!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:14 PM

Ahhhh crap! I wish I would have known about this. I had absolutely nothing to do all weekend and would have loved to go up there. Oh well... doing my first autox here in Salem next weekend. Looking forward to that.

- Rob O'
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

It was a great weekend. As mentioned good turnout of Elise's with SY, CO, BRG, KG, GG, and my BRP. The CO car had blacked out Exige wheels, which were very cool. Lotus of Portland was there and had cars in black, Mag blue, GG, SY and supplied the CO pace car for the races.

It is the 50th anniversary of the MGA so there was a large field of the great roadster. I have no idea of the final count of the field, but it was somewhere above 600 cars. AC, Aston Martin, Alvis, MG, Triumph, Lotus, Morris, Austin Healey, Jensen, Lola, Rover, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, and others were all there. 6 different race groupings. I would encourage those in the NW to put Labor Day at PIR on their calenders for next year.

BTW, I will be returning to PIR this Thursday to take a high performance driving class. I'm jazzed.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolz
It was a great weekend.
BTW, I will be returning to PIR this Thursday to take a high performance driving class. I'm jazzed.
So, how do I go about getting a calendar of classes and events going on up there at PIR? They got a website calendar? I'd like to get get some track time and maybe a class or two as well.

- Rob O'
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:18 AM

PIR Schedule

I have some pictures from the ABFM that I need to do some post processing on. I should have that done tonight and I'll post a couple of pictures.

Jim
Unibrain Motorsports - One Brain is Enough for All of Us
'66 Lotus Elan
'08 Porsche Cayman S
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air
So, how do I go about getting a calendar of classes and events going on up there at PIR? They got a website calendar? I'd like to get get some track time and maybe a class or two as well.
I recommend the CSCC school coming up on the 23rd. Might even be able to get your novice license out of the deal.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:20 PM

The pictures are uploading as I type. 2005 Portland ABFM (I'm experimenting with a new version of gallery. It is SLOW at times so be patient)

Jim
Unibrain Motorsports - One Brain is Enough for All of Us
'66 Lotus Elan
'08 Porsche Cayman S

Last edited by unibrain; 09-06-2005 at 12:38 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

The website for driving classes at PIR is www.prodrive.net.

Notice the wheels on the CO car. Black Exige wheels.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 05:04 PM

Gracias gentlemen... perhaps I will run into one of you guys one of these days. I plan to join the Willamette Motor Club, hit some local autocrosses between here and Portland, and a few other events from time to time. I hope to be up at PIR very soon to get some track time.

Take care,

- Rob O'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in