Another Lotus dealership bites the dust - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By carbuff
  • 1 Post By JPSEsprit044
  • 1 Post By West-of-Hethel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Another Lotus dealership bites the dust

Regular visitor to very informative site. First time post. In the last several years a number of dealerships gave up on Lotus namely , Tampa Bay, New Jersey (park ave), the Washington DC area dealer, one of the Los Angeles dealerships, and most recently the Las Vegas dealer. I am sure more dealers have given up on Lotus over the last several years. Ladies and Gentlemen, thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:09 PM

Not much to discuss. Lotus presently has no models to sell. No real reason for a dealer to have the name with no product.

Lotus USA is effectively inactive until the US 430 is orderable.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:25 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
My thought:
Its difficult to make a profit on sales of a couple cars a year. And, due to the limited numbers of cars on the street, they can't easily make a profit on services.

That said, in north NJ there is a new Lotus dealer, Summit Lotus-Aston Martin. We are meeting with them next Wednesday to discuss having a 'Get Acquainted' reception for local owners (or potential owners). I'll be posting info on LT about this event, which will probably happen in 2019.
KCZ, TJBNJ and Poorichard like this.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:43 PM

In all my years on this board, I can't remember more than a few comments about Park Avenue Lotus. I spoke to them a few times, and their prices always seemed out of touch with the market. I was very sad to see S&SC go, where I had purchased a car (which came from Valenti in CT, also gone), and Euro Motors also go - where I had purchased a car. I had bought from AutoSport, but that's a heck of a drive from NJ, and most recently had service done, and purchased a car, from Manhattan Motorcars, where I've always had good luck, and they have a great service manager, who seems to really care.

I would nonetheless be interested in a dealer that is so close to central Jersey (I know about Victory; haven't heard too much about them on this board). I wouldn't have known if I hadn't seen this post, so thanks! Is that the old Smythe Volvo site?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:09 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Is that the old Smythe Volvo site?
Yep, just a couple doors down from the Catholic church.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
That said, in north NJ there is a new Lotus dealer, Summit Lotus-Aston Martin. We are meeting with them next Wednesday to discuss having a 'Get Acquainted' reception for local owners (or potential owners). I'll be posting info on LT about this event, which will probably happen in 2019.
That's good news. If they have a competent tech, it can save me about an hour's travel time each way when I need dealer assistance.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:00 PM
Xur
BANNED

It doesn't forecast well for the supposed return of Lotus to the USA.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 04:00 AM
scv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
In all my years on this board, I can't remember more than a few comments about Park Avenue Lotus. I spoke to them a few times, and their prices always seemed out of touch with the market. I was very sad to see S&SC go, where I had purchased a car (which came from Valenti in CT, also gone), and Euro Motors also go - where I had purchased a car. I had bought from AutoSport, but that's a heck of a drive from NJ, and most recently had service done, and purchased a car, from Manhattan Motorcars, where I've always had good luck, and they have a great service manager, who seems to really care.

I would nonetheless be interested in a dealer that is so close to central Jersey (I know about Victory; haven't heard too much about them on this board). I wouldn't have known if I hadn't seen this post, so thanks! Is that the old Smythe Volvo site?
Purchased my 400 from Victory 8/17. Did so car unseen; working with staff was good with proper feedback on the deal which included trade-in via a mechanism that was unfamiliar to them until my request. Car received via shipment as promised and paperwork was smooth. Have, of course, no interaction with service.......

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:17 AM

Garage
Good, they jerked me around and moved zero on price and perks. Lost title ect. Glad they're dead.

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:26 AM

Geely and/or Volvo needs to get off their donkey and invigorate the US dealerships. Whether this mandates advertising, owner get-togethers, or some official Lotus presence at IMSA and vintage car races I do not know, but I have previously suggested all of these concepts. And, of course, some new product to sell wouldn't hurt either. Where the hell is the Evora roadster? Where is the new SUV? Almost everyone else (Lamborghini, Porsche, Jaguar, Alfa, etc) already has an SUV, so with its own SUV Lotus will be - yet again - trying to derive nourishment from the rear-most mammary. Is this ever going to change for the US?

Great cars sit unsold at dealerships that seem to be isolated islands floating around on their own. How long will dealers put up with that situation? How can Lotus dealership mechanics and dealership parts inventories maintain a high level when they only sell 1 or 2 cars per year? I'm clueless. Is Lotus?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:55 AM

Wat

Why would they do advertising/etc when there are no models on sale, and the 430 coming is intended to be a limited production vehicle in the first place?

They're trying to help dealerships get rid of the remaining inventory ($12,000 customer cash program), but there's no need to do anything beyond that. There aren't all that many of the 2017/2018 left out there to get rid of.

Service centers and dealerships are often linked, but there's no particular requirement there. There's no reason for dealerships to maintain the brand at the moment and there's no reason for Lotus to be worried about that until they have models to offer.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:57 PM

"Service centers and dealerships are often linked, but there's no particular requirement there. There's no reason for dealerships to maintain the brand at the moment and there's no reason for Lotus to be worried"

... except that Lotus is contractually obligated to repair the vehicles they sell.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:03 PM

Lotus US isn't importing 2019s because they can't sell cars. My belief is that if they promoted their product (which is a good one) with advertising they might actually sell some cars and not have unsold 2017 & 2018 models collecting dust. The argument that they have no need to advertise because they aren't importing any 2019 Evoras seems totally illogical to me. Just my 2 cents, however.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa TC View Post
"Service centers and dealerships are often linked, but there's no particular requirement there. There's no reason for dealerships to maintain the brand at the moment and there's no reason for Lotus to be worried"

... except that Lotus is contractually obligated to repair the vehicles they sell.
They don't need a branded dealership to repair and service vehicles under warranty. They just need service centers who can handle the required work.

As to your talking about not selling the 2019 Evora 400 - every indication is there is no such thing, the Evora 400 ended with the (global equivalent of) the US 2018 MY.

The Evora 400 got a LOT of press coverage. Doesn't seem they should've done any more there. Saw reviews of it in just about every single place imaginable.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:58 PM

Garage
I also bought my Lotus Evora 400 for Victory Lotus in Princeton, NJ. They treated me very well. They did lose one of the keys and I had to wait a month for a replacement. Other than that - no service yet (still in break in period). They answer calls, always have a few cars in the bay. People trailer up their Ootus's from as far away as Virginia to Victory.

Still - I'd be interested in a central Jersey location as well. Will look into Summit.

Thanks!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 01:28 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Update: The Summit dealer obtained their franchise (and current inventory of Evoras) from Park Avenue Motors. Their 'official' name is Lotus North Jersey. They plan to have three technicians trained by Spring.

They predict that the Evora 430 will arrive when the weather gets warm, so an Open House at the dealership will be planned for Saturday, April 13.
I'll be posting a link to an official announcement after the first of the year.

https://astonmartinsummit.com/lotus-dealer-in-summit-nj

(Meanwhile, they have special lease deal on in-stock Aston Martins until December 31, just in case you are looking to buy a winter beater, LOL)

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:06 AM

Atwell,

I might have to come up for that! Keep us informed, please.

Phil Mitchell
carbuff likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:42 AM

The upcoming Lotus SUV will surely be designed with North American sales in mind. The dealers just need to hang on until that arrives surely that will sell in respectable volumes. Then hopefully the next generation sports car products can follow.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
(Meanwhile, they have special lease deal on in-stock Aston Martins until December 31, just in case you are looking to buy a winter beater, LOL)
This made me laugh out loud. Thanks.
Chino88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in