Anyone know what happened to GARW?? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By mwehnes
  • 1 Post By jon_bondy
  • 1 Post By apexdc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know what happened to GARW??

I want to get a Garw dash, but the website is sold out and I am not getting any answers from the contact us email.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 AM

Thatís not good to hear. I have one of his dashes. Who would we contact for technical support if heís not around? So far mine has been ok. Knock on wood.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:46 PM

@the1tonton This should be your indication you don't want move forward with GARW. For a few hundred dollars more you can get an AEM CD5 or CD7 display that's supported by an actual company with employees, has a support phone # they answer, a warranty, and software allowing you customize the unit.
mattjk and cmaser like this.

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:18 AM

My experience with GARW is that he is often silent for months. The web site says it is sold out until more are available, at which point you have to pounce and order. Frustrating, I know, but the unit that I eventually received was exactly as described and has worked flawlessly. Other units may be "better" in some sense, but I would recommend the GARW for anyone who is considering the purchase.
SS Lotus Elise likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post
@the1tonton This should be your indication you don't want move forward with GARW. For a few hundred dollars more you can get an AEM CD5 or CD7 display that's supported by an actual company with employees, has a support phone # they answer, a warranty, and software allowing you customize the unit.
I was under the impression that GARW is more streetable and plug and play where AEM with their dual can bus channels is more race only dash.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post
Can you install the CD5 or CD7 to replace the existing instrument cluster, or would you use this in addition to the current instrument cluster. The pictures on the web imply that the CD5/CD7 might not fit in the Elise binnacle.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Haven't done it myself. Might be more work up front to install, but you don't have the trade offs you will the GARW solution.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tonton View Post
I was under the impression that GARW is more streetable and plug and play where AEM with their dual can bus channels is more race only dash.
It is definitely more plug and play than the AEM, though I have never installed one. I have only looked at them in the past. GARW's is made to fit the stock location w/o modification and comes with everything you need to get you up and running in an hour. I have one from when it was first released, the first production run. It has been flawless. I purchased to replace my failing cluster that had a band-aid repair. For years I dealt with the all too common intermittent dead cluster. After awhile it started acting up again so I pre-ordered GARW's after followng his posts.

I will agree from what I have read on here, the support is definitely not there for the product and don't expect it to improve. It's a home-brew, although a very good one and you will be on your own to sort issues out if they arise. But considering what it is, its not a bad price for a replacement (cheaper than a new cluster) and most do not have any issues. I am not doing logging, additional sensors or anything like that. It is just a dash for me and works as intended...while also looking cooler.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

@Mobius97 That is what i want to do. I am installing AEM oil temp and pressure gauges tonight into my rebuild project and will use the outputs from those for the Garw when i get one. I like the idea of a backup camera and other cool features of that dash. Now I just wish he made more haha.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 AM

I considered a AiM MXS Strada before I bought a Garw. I went with the Garw because it's mostly set up already. With the AiM, you're pretty much on your own to figure out all the inputs.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:05 PM

I got one of his early dashes and while it is true about him disappearing at times, mine has worked perfectly and was no more difficult to install than a radio. Not sure what to tell you, but keep an eye on the site.
darkSol likes this.

2006 Elise, Graphite Grey/Red leather, Sport Elise Suspension, Cup airbox, ECU ref lash, MonoBalls, etc. etc.
1992 900SS Ducati Race Spec Built by Ferracci
2006 KTM 950 SuperMoto, a work in progress

Old stuff gone: Ferrari 275GTB/4, '69 1275 Cooper S. '72 500 Fiat, old Jags, etc. Never bought a boring car.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 06:36 AM

Garage
I've been itching to get one of these. Hopefully they come back in stock soon.

2005 Lotus Elise
Salt Lake City, UT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in