Anyone use Montway Auto Transport? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ls1Rx7
  • 2 Post By Butters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Anyone use Montway Auto Transport?

Hello All -

I was wondering if anyone here has used or heard of them? - have gotten a quote to move my 2013 Evora S from intercity transport as well, but they seem to be about $350 cheaper, and i was recommended to them by a friend who has used them a bit.

here is their website:

Five Star Car Shipping Company | Montway Auto Transport

Please let me know what you all think?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 04:46 PM

The person who bought my Evoque used Montway via uship.com. They are brokers and outsource the shipping to who knows who with who knows how much experience. The guy who picked up my car had no idea how to start or put the car into drive.

I've used Intercity several times and every time they have been professional, and most importantly, on time with zero damage.

Don't skimp! Specially when it comes to a specialty vehicle. Use Montway for shipping your daily.

Current Toys:
1968 Datsun 2000 Roadster

Last edited by mikepal; 05-26-2014 at 05:13 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 01:45 PM

I used Montway for my Elise and like mikepal mentioned, they're a broker so there's no way of knowing which carrier you'll end up with.

Luckily for me, I ended up with the nicest guy that's had experience with Loti and didn't mind rearranging his whole rig so that a "dripper" didn't drip oil on my Elise. I sure lucked out, but would I gamble on Montway again? Probably not.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 02:45 PM
I Have Commitment Issues

I have used them before. A little sketch but it worked out.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:11 AM

Absolutely stay away. My car was stranded in Texas for over a month.
THey low ball the offer, to win your business (Uship was how I ran into them as well). THen they try to lowball the drivers, and if you get very lucky the worst driver will take the job because they're desperate. Likely the uninsured guys running ratty old trucks.

When a good driver won't take the job and they've dicked you around for a month they'll come back to you say they need more money and you'll end up paying more and end up waiting longer than if you just dealt with the auto transporters directly. THey're a bad bad company and part of that is due to the fact that htey're just brokers, they don't even own trucks. They literally just try to flip your money to the drivers and nick them $100-200 and pick up the difference. They couldn't get your car shipped if it was the last car on earth because no brokers have any control over their core business because they rely on other drivers/companies.

Stay the F away
Turbopun likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 AM

I chose Montway last week and they assigned an enclosed carrier with a driver familiar with exotics. The carrier was assigned in a few business days and it looks like my Exige is actually scheduled to arrive early. So far so good, will update. I get the sense that you may have a better experience if you choose an enclosed carrier -- seems like the companies running those are better or at least more likely to be established than the open carriers that have a lower barrier to entry.

In my case, the premium for enclosed versus open was $300. I think that's well worth it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:12 AM

I used intercity and was happy with them and would use them again. For me, I wouldn't use a broker for an Evora, too easy to damage IMO
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Update on my Montway experience.

Montway communicated with the driver and relayed timely updates to me. The carrier that was assigned to the order was professional and experienced with transporting exotics. No damage was present when the car was delivered. Everything went exactly as it should, and the driver even delivered the car 2 days ahead of schedule. I'd happily try their service again.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMBL View Post
Update on my Montway experience.

Montway communicated with the driver and relayed timely updates to me. The carrier that was assigned to the order was professional and experienced with transporting exotics. No damage was present when the car was delivered. Everything went exactly as it should, and the driver even delivered the car 2 days ahead of schedule. I'd happily try their service again.
I'm happy you had a good experience with them!

However, let's be sure we are operating with the correct information. Like someone earlier in this thread stated, they are a broker, not the operator of these transport rigs. As far as I can tell, most "shipping" companies that transport cars like this are just brokers. They do not staff nor do they have a set roster of drivers and rigs. They mostly just contract out their business and take a cut. So reviewing a company only gives you a snapshot of the service they provided THAT ONE TIME and is no way indicative of what it'll be like next time because you likely won't get that same driver/rig again.

Still, though, glad your car arrived without incident.
NumberSix and Turbopun like this.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:58 AM

A bit of a counterpoint for Montway. I tried to have them move a car for me in an enclosed transport. After going past the time they said it would take to place the load, they called and tried to talk me into open transport. I started to look at other options and ended up going with a driver directly, who said they tried to book the load with Montway, but they weren't offering enough. Basically, they weren't able to place my load in the timing they promised and were unwilling to give up any of what seemed like an outsized shared for themselves in order to pay what needed to be paid to the drivers to get the load shipped.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I'm happy you had a good experience with them!

However, let's be sure we are operating with the correct information. Like someone earlier in this thread stated, they are a broker, not the operator of these transport rigs. As far as I can tell, most "shipping" companies that transport cars like this are just brokers. They do not staff nor do they have a set roster of drivers and rigs. They mostly just contract out their business and take a cut. So reviewing a company only gives you a snapshot of the service they provided THAT ONE TIME and is no way indicative of what it'll be like next time because you likely won't get that same driver/rig again.

Still, though, glad your car arrived without incident.
Yes, that's right, Montway simply acted as a broker. Who knows if a future fulfilling carrier would take the same care that this carrier did. That said, if I was going to choose a broker, I would feel comfortable choosing Montway.

2006 Lotus Exige - Chrome Orange
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:45 PM

I've had 2 great cross-country transport experiences with Passport Transport (1 from SF to Texas for my Evora, and 1 from VA to Texas for my Ariel Atom), which is not a broker, only company-owned trucks.

I was issued a GPS tracker login so I could see where my driver/truck/car were at all times in real-time, and both times was given accurate and timely updates on an ETA. The price was also noticeably lower than Intercity and Reliable's quotes, and faster pickup dates (though I may have just gotten lucky on the timing).

In short, 2 thumbs up for Passport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in