Atlanta "Lisehead" Delurking - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Red face Atlanta "Lisehead" Delurking

I figured as I've been lurking around here for a while...(I few months just reading and then I registered but just haven't posted yet) it was time to own up to my Elise problem. I've wanted an Elise since I saw the first Series 2 reviews in a magazine in 2000. My father has always loved British 2 seaters. His loves were his Sunbeam Alpine and his 2 Jag XK120's. (All of which had to be sold back in the day.) So I get my love of cars from him as well as my liking for the Elise. At least that is what I blame it on.

I am a Mechanical Engineering student at Georgia Tech right now; halfway through my fourth year and am a little more than a Junior. (Lol yes I'm on "that" plan) I am also a working for a 3D Scanning company every other semester and luckily we get to do a good amount of projects related to the automobile industry.

Are there ever any meet and greet type of functions around the Metro Atlanta Area? While I won't have an Elise for another year to year and a half (it will be my graduation gift to myself, drive a Cherokee now) I would love to meet some of the fellow ET members in the area. An FYI I live in Snellville. Guess that about wraps up the intro for me thanks!

-Chris aka "speedy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 08:11 AM

Hi Chris,

I too am from Atlanta and have been a long time lurker. I really like the LotusTalk site and community. I have had lots of experience with 510s and MR2s and I am looking to get an Exige.

Bryan www.bryanf.com | www.greatwallforum.com
Speed-Wiz Automotive analysis, design, and simulation software
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 08:13 AM

Chris,

1st welcome to ETalk!

There's a very active Lotus club in your area, Lotus Ltd Southeast. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/LLSE/

There are some fantastic "Lotus" roads nearby, a great track (no... not the oval one! ) and Lotus Cars USA makes their headquarters in a northern suburb of Atlanta.

Sounds like Lotus heaven to me!

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 08:15 AM

Chris,

You may want to sign up for the Lotus Limited South East group on yahoo (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/LLSE). We also have a monthly exotic car show with a large Lotus turnout monthly at Giovanni's in Suwannee, although the cold does discourage some.

Bill
'11 Lotus Elise (Traded) , '05 Lotus Elise (Traded)

www.billswebspace.com/lotus

www.syntheticfirst.com
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to the LLSE group. I will have to come checkout the show in Suwanee. Thats just right up the road from where I am at in Snellville. I have been and want to continue to find out as much as I can about the Elises untill I get one of my own. If anyone ever needs a second set of hands I'm your guy

-Chris aka "speedy"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 11:10 AM

Chris,

Good to have a fellow Yellow Jacket on the forum! Don't worry about your timing, I took the 6-year plan with an easier major (Civil).

Ben
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:14 PM

You will see a decent group of Lotus owners at the informal Giovanni's "show" each month in John's Creek. I think the next one is Dec. 15.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:23 PM

Suddenly everyone from Atlanta comes out to play

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 03:12 PM

You kids all have it made. When I graduated as a Mechanical Engineer I drove a POS beat up Olds Cutlass.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Kudos to fellow GaTech peeps. I will be going to Giovanni's on the 15th. Need to introduce myself to the LLSE group and find out the address of it. It's been a while since I've seen an actual Lotus in the flesh. Last time was at Tech's carshow in April. One day I'm goin to drive by LOA and just check it out. Hopefully I won't get runoff by a sales associate for oogling. I drive a 97 Cherokee 2wd, so its nothing fancy. May try to pickup a bike before I graduate to save on some gas and get a little more fun. I miss my old firebird.

-Chris
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:02 AM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy21cvb View Post
Kudos to fellow GaTech peeps. I will be going to Giovanni's on the 15th. Need to introduce myself to the LLSE group and find out the address of it. It's been a while since I've seen an actual Lotus in the flesh. Last time was at Tech's carshow in April. One day I'm goin to drive by LOA and just check it out. Hopefully I won't get runoff by a sales associate for oogling. I drive a 97 Cherokee 2wd, so its nothing fancy. May try to pickup a bike before I graduate to save on some gas and get a little more fun. I miss my old firebird.

-Chris
If you pick up the right bike you won't be saving any money on gas

They are fun though

Having a bike while i was in school was a great idea. I always had a place to park (up close) anywhere on campus and never got any parking tickets.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 10:07 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Hey someone in Atlana drive their Elise up to Chris's work and get it 3D scanned for us computer modellers!

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1735lbs.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I will be going to Giovanni's on the 15th. Need to introduce myself to the LLSE group and find out the address of it.
See my signature below. I look forward to meeting you on the 15th.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:08 AM

Hiya Chris!

..from you neighbor in Birmingham (relative to the rest of LT's members)-

My dad has a Mech Eng. degree form GT-

Good luck with school and beyond!

Michael

Grab Life by the Wheel
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:26 AM
BANNED

There is an Atlanta thread on here. We do mountain drives, Giovanni's, the Mitty, Petit Lemans, go to the Dragon, BBQ's, etc etc etc.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:08 PM

welcome. I'm also in school for mechanical engineering, at WPI, but i'm on the normal 4 year plan. I got hooked when my dad bought an 05 elise. I wish i was able to buy myself that kind of graduation gift.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you pick up the right bike you won't be saving any money on gas
I would be looking at 600 and smaller bikes. I'm a little guy and I cannot rock a litre bike off the stand. 01 style R6,FZ6 as well as the SV650. Dream bike is a yellow 748 biposto.

Quote:
I look forward to meeting you on the 15th.
Look forward to meeting you as well el presidente. My father was the president of the Pontiac and Oakland Club of Georgiafor a while in the late 80s and early 90s.

Quote:
I'm also in school for mechanical engineering, at WPI, but i'm on the normal 4 year plan
I started off on the 4 year plan, however I decided I wanted to do a co-op so that automatically bumps back the date by at least a year, and then I met Fluid Mechanics and Deformable bodies and well my hiney will not recover from that "raping" that was/is put on me

Quote:
Hey someone in Atlana drive their Elise up to Chris's work and get it 3D scanned for us computer modellers!
I have been mulling over this very things actually. Have to talk to the chief about it. Just get some data to play around with if there is any downtime. What sort of modeling do you mess with? We use Rhino, Solidworks, Rapidform, and some other helper programs. I spent a large majority of my summer modeling the front end of an 05 Mustang in Rhino. The time it took my as a brand newbie was infathomable.

Yes I know you all are so excited to read this exceedingly long post

-Chris
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 AM
tmr

Chris:

FYI - Saturday, Dec. 1

There is a monthly car show held at The Avenues of East Cobb shopping center the first Saturday of every month from about 8:00 am to noon. The car selections range from Lambo and Ferrari to vintage porsche and US muscle. Ben (benjh1028) and I will be there tomorrow with our cars.

The Avenues of East Cobb is located at the intersection of Johnsons Ferry & Roswell in Marietta.

Tom
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I started off on the 4 year plan, however I decided I wanted to do a co-op so that automatically bumps back the date by at least a year, and then I met Fluid Mechanics and Deformable bodies and well my hiney will not recover from that "raping" that was/is put on me
I meet Fluid Mechanics in the spring. My school doesn't offer Co-ops, however i started an internship this past summer, and i'm going back for Christmas and hopefully next summer. Have fun with whatever car you end up with.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 11:28 AM

Hello fellow lurker
Interesting to see so many other GA Tech students/victims.
I'm a biomedical engineering major here at Tech (escape in may).

I've got similar purchase plans once I've started working and gotten
all of the important money issues settled first.

Perhaps I'll meet you at the Giovanni event or the show at East Cobb, if I can make it out tomorrow.

edit: Are any of you aware of rental options for an elise/exige/exige S in the area? I'm doubtful that
a test drive alone would give me all of the info I'll need before purchasing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in