Bringing an Elise in to Ca, DMV troubles on smog?Emissions Sticker? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Bringing an Elise in to Ca, DMV troubles on smog?Emissions Sticker?

I've checked around on the forums breifly looking for an answer to what's going to happen when i finally get my Elise to Ca. How will the DMV react to the Elise when i go to register it? I've looked at their website and I've hd troube decifering their policy on cars from other states that are under 7500 miles. The Elise I intend to buy has 750 miles on it. Will this be a problem? or is this rule only for cars that don't meet Ca Emission Standards, which I'm under the impression, all Elises do.

Will there be any extra fees? Will I still have to get it Smogged?, Will I have to get it smogged in the future?

Thanks all, so far you've been an awesome help, this is such a great community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 09:35 AM

I purchased mine new from NY and had it shipped here. I had to fill out a statement of facts saying that the car was 50 state emmissions legal. (There is a certificate from Lotus that should come with the car). Initially they told me I couldn't register until I hit 7,500 mi! I told them they were crazy 'cause I wouldn't drive around registrationless for months! Before I got to the DMV, I got it smogged as well, just to avoid any further issues. I'm not sure how hard it is with a used car, but as long as you have the paperwork and it passes smog, I assume it should be ok. Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriva
I've checked around on the forums breifly looking for an answer to what's going to happen when i finally get my Elise to Ca. How will the DMV react to the Elise when i go to register it? I've looked at their website and I've hd troube decifering their policy on cars from other states that are under 7500 miles. The Elise I intend to buy has 750 miles on it. Will this be a problem? or is this rule only for cars that don't meet Ca Emission Standards, which I'm under the impression, all Elises do.

Will there be any extra fees? Will I still have to get it Smogged?, Will I have to get it smogged in the future?

Thanks all, so far you've been an awesome help, this is such a great community.
CA treats any car under 7500 miles as new. So you don't have to get a emissions test for 2 years (it would be 4 if you are the original title owner). You will have to pay "use tax" which is equal to the sales tax in your county to register the car.

It will be easy, don't worry. Just get out your check book and go wait in line at the DMV...

'Greg

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg

It will be easy, don't worry. Just get out your check book and go wait in line at the DMV...

'Greg
You mean waiting in line at the DMV is easy?

Basically, what everyone else has said already. You are responsible for sales tax, license and registration and if I remember correct, I think all new cars meet all 50 states emissions, for the exception of diesels.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:33 AM

I had a similar experience. I bought my Elise off of eBay and it was transported to me from Arkansas. I thought that registering the car at AAA would be easier than taking it to the DMV. BOY WAS I WRONG!!!

You'll need a smog certificate - even if it's a new car.

You'll need the title.

You'll need a bill of sale.

You need to pay taxes and registration.

The idiots at AAA said that I would have to put 7500mi on the car before I could register it or I'd have to pay something like $18k in penalites. I checked the facts with the DMV and they said AAA has no idea what they're talking about.

Make sure that when the car is inspected that you show them the sticker under the boot that states that the Elise is 50-state legal and passes all California emissions restrictions.

I've had 3 more problems with AAA regarding their DMV services - so I'll NEVER use them again. SO far, eveything seems fine with the Elise registration.

If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 10:50 AM

It seems like all of us who brought our cars into CA from elsewhere have had slightly different experiences. I know some folks weren't required to get a smog, and others of us were. You shouldn't have a problem, just make your appt and go to DMV and they'll walk you through it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 11:16 AM

The reason for the 7500 mile rule was to prevent people from buying non-California smogged cars and bringing them into California. This was originally implemented to prevent people from say LA driving to Arizona or Las Vegas and buying a 49 state car that wasn't available in California.

People moving in from out of state have to be able to bring the cars they already own, so the state made the requirement that it have X number of miles on it. You bring in a non-California smogged car, and the state also makes you pay a fee for having a non-compliant car - unless you can demonstrate that the car meets California emission standards (there's a sticker on the bottom of the engine cover stating that it meets California standards).

Bringing in a California smogged car should be perfectly okay, as long as you can demonstrate that it meets the standards (the sticker). The mileage shouldn't matter, but you will have to pay the taxes...

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 11:20 AM

CA used to charge $300 to bring in a non-CA car, even if it passed the smog test. Some years later a class action suit got me my $300 back, with interest.

How often does a class action suit actually compensate the class? [Rhetorical]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 11:31 AM

I had an experience similar to those reported here, imported my Elise from New York. I went to my local DMV and the whole thing went smoothly. I was required to get a smog cert. I wouldn't sweat it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 11:34 AM

I bought my car in Denver with 3800 miles on it and drove back to CA. Took it to the DMV the next day to pay my registration sales tax, and even though the inspector noted the emissions label, they still made me smog it. Passed with flying colors with stage 2 exhaust.

Ways to get to the office:
2005 Elise, AS, Stage II, Fujita intake, better speakers
2005 Acura MDX
2012 MB CLS550
2001 Ducati Monster 750
2003 Porsche 996tt
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 01:29 PM

I imported several out of state cars of varying age into CA and here is what I always had to do:

- Smog the car (unless it is pre-1975), no matter the mileage and age
- Bring the previous title OR a BOS plus the last registration statement
- Pay the use tax (which is equivalent to the sales tax in your county)
- Bring the actual car to DMV to confirm VIN and emissions compliance

Hope this helps. I fully expect to be doing this exact thing next week when my Elise gets here to San Jose.

BTW, you can schedule appointments online at DMV and avoid all the standing in line (or most of it, anyway - in San Jose even the appointment line can be a while).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in