Changing Headlight Bulb - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Changing Headlight Bulb

I have a headlight out in my 2006 Elise. I checked all of the tutorials and it seemed straight forward:

Remover wheel well arch cover.
Use an allen wrench on 3 screws to allow the lens to be removed,
Unclip bulb, replace.
Put back together.

The issue I have is that when I removed the wheel well arch cover it looks nothing like the tutorial, but rather like this (pic 1 below):

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/att...mentid=1225350

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/att...mentid=1225354

I did have the clam and I believe one headlight (the one I am working on) replaced in 2007 after an accident (their insurance, no affect to title). Is it possible they used a newer clam and/or light assembly? I saw something where someone had a different procedure for post 2006 models that seemed much similarů.but their pictures looked like they also removed more pieces, maybe by taking off the knurled handscrew first?

Also, after removing the arch I see a connector that is not connected to anything. Any idea what that is (pic 2 below)?

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/att...mentid=1225352

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:01 AM

So for MY05, the knurled screws need to be removed so the headlight cover comes off and access to removing the bulbs. Didn't think MY06 were any different but I'm sure someone will chime in. Possible you removed the wrong 3 bolts, which are the bolts holding the actual metal housing for the headlights. In your first pic, the metal silver screw with the flathead type right next to the wire is what I remove. Should be 3 of them, one up on top side just above the tire, one towards the middle, and one towards the back(towards middle of front clam). The one on the back is hard to see so you just need to feel for it. I've changed my bulbs plenty of times on mine as I tested out different types of bulbs. Good luck.

Gabe

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's

Last edited by NoRawkus305; 02-26-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I actually have not removed any of the bolts yet. I thought I would see three allen bolts so the knurled screw threw me. The others do not seem like allen either but I can get a closer look. Maybe the shop that repaired after the 07 accident improvised.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 AM

I edited my post for clarification, not sure if you re read it. It's possible the screws/bolts have changed but after seeing yours I can confirm the flathead type screws are the ones to be removes as those are the same as mine. Hope it works out.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Id did....sort of. There were actually only two screws to take out. The third must be missing, I am sure I can find a replacement at the local Home Depot.

I put everything back together, no issues other than the new bulb is fairly brighter than the other side (original bulb from 2006!.

So, I thought, since I just did not side, the other will be simple! I pulled the arch, loosened the three bolts (this side the allens I expected). Took off the headlight cover, undid the wires and clip and removed the bulb. All of this took maybe 10 minutes. I put the new bulb in and went to attach the clips. After fiddling a little I noticed the clip had come off at the base, so I have just the loose, kind of U shaped, clip that I had to fish out from behind the assembly with pliers. I did so, but now getting the clip reattached to the assemble is baffling. I REALLY hope I don't have to take the whole assembly out!

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/att...mentid=1225366
Attached Images

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Success! I think there are two "loops" on the assembly just below the hold where the bulb goes in. These hold the bottom of the clip and the tension of hooking the two ends of the clip into place holds it together. Normally the clip stays in place though when opened.....

I was able to hold the bulb in place with my left hand, then slip the clip behind it with my right. From these I used my middle right finger to position the botton of the clip under the "loop" on the assembly. At that point I could use my right hand to also keep the bulb in place and use my left to hook the ends of the clip in place. All nice and snug now, although not a whole lot of fun.

Had it not been for the clip coming off, I think I could now do the job in about 15 minutes per side. I only did the low beams so maybe the high are a little trickier to get at the bulb and clip, but the high beams get so little use I didn't think it worth the time and $. Now that getting to them is a known, if I need to do them it should not be a big deal.

Thanks,
Chris
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckugel View Post
Success! I think there are two "loops" on the assembly just below the hold where the bulb goes in. These hold the bottom of the clip and the tension of hooking the two ends of the clip into place holds it together. Normally the clip stays in place though when opened.....

I was able to hold the bulb in place with my left hand, then slip the clip behind it with my right. From these I used my middle right finger to position the botton of the clip under the "loop" on the assembly. At that point I could use my right hand to also keep the bulb in place and use my left to hook the ends of the clip in place. All nice and snug now, although not a whole lot of fun.

Had it not been for the clip coming off, I think I could now do the job in about 15 minutes per side. I only did the low beams so maybe the high are a little trickier to get at the bulb and clip, but the high beams get so little use I didn't think it worth the time and $. Now that getting to them is a known, if I need to do them it should not be a big deal.

Thanks,
Chris
I was just getting ready to explain this as my clip on one side is off too. But the tension from the bulb and "hook" keeps it all together. For piece of mind, I put some electrical tape on the tips of the clip. Glad it worked out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in