Check my math? Max driveway angles - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 09:27 AM

or since the car is light...you can have the neighbours come out and help you lift the car in and out of the garage

+1 on having it alterd so you dont have to deal with "is it going to hit?" thoughts and fears as you come in and go out of your OWN house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 AM

Or you can angle a sheet of wood over it and use it as a ramp since the car is light

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHahn View Post
I have no effin' clue what the heck you're trying to say. Greater than 180 degrees? Do you mean that there's a vertical drop off between the street level and the driveway?

ed
Actually, 90ļ (or 270ļ depending on direction of measurement) would be a vertical drop. 180ļ is perfectly flat.

Fine. I'll go build my own car... with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the car and the blackjack. Ahh, screw the whole thing.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist View Post
Or you can angle a sheet of wood over it and use it as a ramp since the car is light
lol...i should've thought of that

and on a side note...are you on BMW Forums too??
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana View Post
Awesome! Thank you. What I calculated as the top angle just didn't feel right. I had a contractor come out and quote me $8-900 for a not pretty but workable job, or $2500 + 3 months' permit time and fees for a pretty job. This, I can take.
Of course, you have to make sure the work won't violate any city planning issues (eg, drainage). If you cause your own house to flood, you could ruin it. If you cause someone else's house to flood, you could lose it (yours).

Fine. I'll go build my own car... with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the car and the blackjack. Ahh, screw the whole thing.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
Nope, haven't been involved in BMW society for a while, though I met some enduring friends and had really fun times running around with the BMW CCA folks here. I miss them, but thought I'd be getting more involved with the Lotus crowd when I got my Elise, but so far have simply been too busy with other aspects of life... oh well, something to keep working towards.

And Bavarian Motorist, I did not account for compression, so that will have to be factored in there as well. I just needed a "raw" starting point to give the contractor an idea of what order of magnitude fix we're working with. He eyeballed the driveway and the car, says this happens all the time in SF, and the fix should be a piece of cake. Crossing fingers, I lifted all my contingencies.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
lol...i should've thought of that

Yeppers. Bimmerforums.com. I frequent the street racing section because it's mildly entertaining The site is chock full of teenagers, though.

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist View Post
Yeppers. Bimmerforums.com. I frequent the street racing section because it's mildly entertaining The site is chock full of teenagers, though.
Oh god, I thought you were talking to me! Heh. Thanks again, all
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 02:00 PM
www.theapexinn.com

wow.... all that math....... if it scrapes, it won't work.

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 03:05 PM

Holy $hit... I was worried my angles were too steep.

http://i29.tinypic.com/10cvo0y.jpg
Attached Images

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana View Post
Yep, there's a drain at the seam where the driveway meets the garage; it's pretty standard around here.

Well, we tried more cars this afternoon, and the bimmer can't make it over the top lip, and neither can either of the real estate agents' cars (mini cooper, another bimmer). So it looks like this is something that we're going to have to negotiate to have fixed. Not what I wanted to deal with, but hey, it's not rocket science.
You must've really got a good deal on this house to be willing to do this kind of modification. I mean, all those cars can't make it either? What the hell did the person who lived there previously drive? I would've taken one look at that driveway and told my real estate agent, "Nope, next...".

2006 Chili Red Elise: Touring (biscuit), Hardtop, LSD/TC, Starshield - Daily Driver
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalen View Post
You must've really got a good deal on this house to be willing to do this kind of modification. I mean, all those cars can't make it either? What the hell did the person who lived there previously drive? I would've taken one look at that driveway and told my real estate agent, "Nope, next...".
yea seriously....the way your talking about your slope now i dont think my corolla would've even made it in..lol.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalen View Post
Yeah, it's a combination that I feel like the house is a good value, and that the SF housing market is still quite competitive. There are four offers behind me, so I want to make sure whether this is/isn't going to work before I bailed on it.

Also, it turns out the ratio of ground clearance to wheelbase in the bimmer is approximately the same as the Lotus. I have my doubts whether any even vaguely "sporty" car can make it down the driveway at this point. The seller has been driving an SUV and a truck, apparently, which can make it down the driveway no problem.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 08:24 AM

I make it up and down this all the time...
Attached Images

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:40 PM

Iím a builder donít buy the house. Elise or not you will hate living with that driveway.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:28 AM

I think you are about 11 years late on your advice.
glb likes this.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallein View Post
Iím a builder donít buy the house. Elise or not you will hate living with that driveway.
If the OP bought the house when this thread started, he'd have more than 33% of a 30 year mortgage paid off by now. Probably would've been rid of the Elise by now, too!

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in