DIY: Serpentine belt replacement on 2ZZ - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

DIY: Serpentine belt replacement on 2ZZ

Hey guys, I just replaced the serpentine belt on my Exige because it was making a chirping noise. I think Lotus recommend that these be replaced every 2 years. I thought that it would be helpful if I made a video incase you guys want to do it too. It's pretty easy and won't take you longer than 45 minutes your first time. I used a 75.5" Gates belt which I paid $30 for at O'riellys. Your belt may be a different length depending on your configuration.

You are going to need a long breaker bar or a ratchet with a hollow pipe for leverage. Also you need to use a SIX POINT socket either in 19mm or 3/4". You will round out the nut if you don't use a six point. When you compress the tensioner, it will retract SLOWLY. So just apply constant pressure and it will get there. It is much easier to get the belt back on with another set of hands. Good luck!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWN5YtAMHL8

Last edited by Doge; 07-30-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: embed link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 12:07 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Hey guys, I just replaced the serpentine belt on my Exige because it was making a chirping noise. I think Lotus recommend that these be replaced every 2 years. I thought that it would be helpful if I made a video incase you guys want to do it too. It's pretty easy and won't take you longer than 45 minutes your first time. I used a 75.5" Gates belt which I paid $30 for at O'riellys. Your belt may be a different length depending on your configuration.

You are going to need a long breaker bar or a ratchet with a hollow pipe for leverage. Also you need to use a SIX POINT socket either in 19mm or 3/4". You will round out the nut if you don't use a six point. When you compress the tensioner, it will retract SLOWLY. So just apply constant pressure and it will get there. It is much easier to get the belt back on with another set of hands. Good luck!

DIY: Serpentine belt replacement on Lotus Exige/Elise 2ZZ-GE - YouTube
Thanks for the video!

San
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 AM

Just remember to draw out a diagram of the belt routing before you start. Different supercharger setups use a different number of pulleys and a diagram makes the reinstallation so much easier!

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
Just remember to draw out a diagram of the belt routing before you start. Different supercharger setups use a different number of pulleys and a diagram makes the reinstallation so much easier!
He makes a point of that in the video.

San
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:45 AM

Very useful vid, thanks for posting.

2006 Elise Magnetic Blue | BOE REV300tvs SC kit with 85mm pulley, ITG airbox, Exedy Sport Clutch, 2bular Headers, 2bular Silenced Decat, 2bular 8x22 Oval Tip Exhaust, Black Exige Rear Diffuser, Black Forged 7spoke wheels, BOE Uprated Rear Engine Mount, Exige V6 Mirror Plinths, etc... (SOLD)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 08:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Just remember to draw out a diagram of the belt routing before you start.
Yup, just did my MR2 a ways back and didnt do that. Had to go off of images on the net, the shotty picture on the back of the box didnt help at all.

Quote:
He makes a point of that in the video.
Take off the belt is just one of those things most people just do before they start. Yes a wise man would watch the video before they even touch the car, but in reality? Its a good thing to mention up front

Solar Yellow 07 (225 whp)
Katana 2 SC
Sector 111 Pro rad radiator
Larini SE Exhaust and Lotus Euro Grills
alarm mod ( 80 feet )
all recalls complete.
upgraded front speakers to 5.25, back to 6.5 added a 12 inch sub
AikShii's Glove box.
Nexus gen 2 custom made radio Bessel.
Garw.co Dash.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 AM
$3(uR3 u$3r

Nice video. I will be doing this job today or tomorrow. Thanks.

Alex

2008 Elise SC - Solar Yellow
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Thanks for the video!

San

No problem. I thought it would be helpful since last time people requested a video for the supercharger oil change. So I figured might as well make one for the serp belt. I know that some people can learn by reading or looking at pictures. However, I'm more of a "learning by video" type of guy...and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there. I wish I started making these videos earlier as I have done quite a few things like wiring up a backup camera, transmission fluid change, bleeding the brakes, brake pad change, flushing the radiator, stripping out the interior, etc. I'm sure some may have found those helpful. I'll probably make those videos the next go-around.

Later on in the year, I'll make a video on how to remove the rear clam and also how to replace the bushings in the control arms. It's a bit difficult now because this is all shot with my camera phone so I'll probably have to invest in a hands free rig...maybe something that attaches to the forehead... Anyways, if anyone has any ideas on how to do this best, just let me know.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 AM

Great video!

For those who don't want to deal with the tensioner or whose tensioner was already stripped, you can also use a stick and a jack and push up on the tensioner from below the car:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/2422978-post29.html

I used this method (with my clam off) while I was replacing my cam and rockers, and it went really smoothly.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 12:07 PM
German Reimport

I just changed mine and I didn't have a breaker bar handy, but the extension handle of my Harbor Freight jack fit just perfectly over the handle of my 3/8" ratchet. Worked perfectly!

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 12:59 PM
glb

Haven's seen video yet, so forgive me if this is covered.

1. Raise the hood higher, so the piece of pipe and/or breaker bar has more room.

2. I jammed a pieced of wood between the trunk opening and the tensioner wrench.

Kept it compressed.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 01:35 PM

Garage
Don't forget to use only a 6point socket on that idler pulley protrusion! I Can't remember I think it is 19MM might be 17mm.

You use a 12 point and break or strip that cast protrusion on the tensioner and you have to put a whole new idler pulley assembly on. It is rather involved at that juncture... You have to remove engine mounts and jack up the engine to get that long bolt out... I just removed my timing chain cover so I know a lot of people are not ready for that.

so I will repeat for drama! Don't think you can get over on that idler pulley tensioner casting.

[IMG][/IMG]

L O T U S

Last edited by Motard; 07-30-2014 at 01:42 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:57 PM

So where do you find the belts? I haven't found a part number, or a link, or chart for them either on the forum or online. I'd like to order one before taking off the old one!

'06 Elise, no supercharger.

Rob

Lotusless
1964 Karmann Ghia "40HP VW" | 2016 Slingshot SL LE, pearl white

sold: 2006 Elise, chili red "ELI5E" | 1988 Esprit Turbo, white "E5PR1T"

instagram.com/40hpVW
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM
glb

My local NAPA had it in stock....on a Sunday....

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 E5PR1T View Post
So where do you find the belts? I haven't found a part number, or a link, or chart for them either on the forum or online. I'd like to order one before taking off the old one!

'06 Elise, no supercharger.

Like glb said, any parts store will have it. I'm not sure what size the stock belt is, but if you take yours off, there may be some inscription on it that will tell you. Usually the last few digits is the size. For example, 755 is 75.5". If you don't know, I would bring the belt in and try to match it up one size up and one size down. Then return the one that doesn't fit. If you have the shop manual, I'm sure it is listed in there.

By the way, I'm a fan of the Karmann Ghias myself. I got a 66' and a 69' project that I've been working on. Cheers!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 11:34 AM

Great video!

I am swapping a RLS pulley out to the stock steel pulley.
I could't find anything on the install...

Do I need to remove the pulley nut before removing the belt?
I assume so because the tensioned belt should provide enough
pressure to hold the pulley static. Any pointers?

Any advice on using a pulley puller?
Should I use red or blue loctite on the snout threads?
What is the torque spec for the pulley bolt? (60ft/lbs.)
Should I reuse the stock pulley nut?

Thanks

-Robert

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:26 PM

I wanted to circle back and share some info on belt replacement. Just changed the belt on my car, a simple 30-45 minute job that did not require removing anything on the car (ie. diffuser, undertray panel, etc.).

The NAPA part for my '06 NA Elise is 25 060663 which is a Gates belt, but is not the blue Gates "racing" belt. The blue Gates racing belt part numbers I found on the forum were all 70-something inches and must be for SC cars. This is a 66.3" belt.

Old belt:

New belt:

Rob

Lotusless

instagram.com/40hpVW
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
By the way, I'm a fan of the Karmann Ghias myself. I got a 66' and a 69' project that I've been working on. Cheers!
Very cool! Yeah its been a fun project. I'm on thesamba too, same user name as here. Now just looking forward to spring/summer and getting her out of the garage. Its tough... figuring out if I want to take out the KG or the Elise

Rob

Lotusless

instagram.com/40hpVW
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 04:21 AM

Great video, thanks for posting.

I had the dealer replace my belt recently. My car has a number of rusty bits and I assumed that the main bolt might snap or be ceased. They only charged an hour of labor so I was OK with that.

Maybe next time I'll try to do it myself.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri3d View Post
Great video!

For those who don't want to deal with the tensioner or whose tensioner was already stripped, you can also use a stick and a jack and push up on the tensioner from below the car:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/2422978-post29.html

I used this method (with my clam off) while I was replacing my cam and rockers, and it went really smoothly.
I testify this works great. My bolt was stripped from the previous owner but the top half of my jack handle fit between the jack and the tensioner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in