Don't drive a 3 series and then get in your Lotus right away - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Don't drive a 3 series and then get in your Lotus right away

I test drove a 325 the other day. When I first pushed in the clutch I was like woah, this thing is light as feather.
Getting back in the Elise and I forgot how heavy the clutch and steering are in comparison. Made me appreciate my car a little more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 07:56 AM

Lotus.

There is NO comparison.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:01 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žob
I test drove a 325 the other day. When I first pushed in the clutch I was like woah, this thing is light as feather.
Getting back in the Elise and I forgot how heavy the clutch and steering are in comparison. Made me appreciate my car a little more
As a kid, I drove a truck. At day's end, I'd get into my bugeye Sprite.

First, it felt as if the Sprite's clutch was broken, as it slammed to the floor.

Then, when getting out of my parallel parking space, I'd just about make a U-turn.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 AM

my cousin has a 3 series and he is convinced that his car is better handleing then my elise. even after he sees 1.06 on the skidpad he still isn't convinced.

2006 k24 powered Lotus Elise-way too many mods to list (k24 swap 300whp NA!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uOFOm5xTZA
2003 Caterham Super Seven DeDion
2008 Maserati Quattroporte Executive GT
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žob
And just what is your excuse for test driving a Bummer...er, Bimmer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRY

Lotus.

There is NO comparison.
What he said.

Best regards,
Bob

Life is full of compromises. The garage shouldn't be.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 AM

too bad elise out handles and out accelerates 3 series =/

91' Elan M100
04' Lexus Is300
05' Elise
09' Audi TTS
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNlotus
my cousin has a 3 series and he is convinced that his car is better handleing then my elise. even after he sees 1.06 on the skidpad he still isn't convinced.
I have a BMW 330XI as my daily driver, and the only advantages the BMW has (ignoring the conveniences that make it a daily driver) are a little more torque at low RPM and all-wheel drive. Both are fun to drive, but the Lotus is clearly the faster/better handling/more fun car.

John
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 AM

Before I got my car, I test drove an Elise and went back into my Rx8.. man what difference... the steering wheel feels too light.. (although I always thought it was too light, just even more so), too big (same as light part), clutch light, and whole car just felt soft...

I knew it was a bad idea test driving and 2 weeks later after the test drive.. I have my Elise... and well.. every car now seems huge, steering wheel too big.. too soft.. only thing I miss is the ease of ingress egress of other cars..

And I used to get getting out of the Rx8 was a pain.

2006 Lotus Sport Elise #4 of 50
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:30 AM

I owned a e90 325xi (only made for 2006 if you don't know) and it was nice handling, fun to drive, but now when I drive it, it feels like a pig. (I gave it to my sister )

Must be the steptronic...

This also happened to me after driving a C6. I don't think my car ever felt so slow after that.

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:45 AM
BANNED

I hadn't driven my old 318ti in months. (gave it to Mom, who gave it to Dad when he got her an A6) But I needed to haul my new tires and lotus rims to the tire store (especially after Q-balls thread- this is how I do from now on).

It felt like driving a bus. And I used to think it handled and braked good. The steering, not to mention the giant wheel really felt like a big wallowing bus. Can't wait till the next time I actually drive a pick up, or my Dad's van with exceptionally loose steering.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNlotus

Lateral grip isn't the same thing as handling.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:48 AM

My daily driver is a Honda Element. Talk about DAY and NIGHT.

05 Saffron Yellow Elise: Hard Top, Black Exige Wheels, Lotus Sport ECU, Stage 2 Exhaust, Fujita Intake, ACT clutch, ForcedFed Half Carbon Fiber Front Spoiler, Lotus Sport Mats, Painted Shift Knob, Painted Engine Covers, Saffron Center Console, Leather HandBrake Gaiter, Lotus Sport Windshield Banner **SOLD**
Looking for a replacement Elige now!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 AM

My daily driver is a 5 series BMW, which is a fantastic car... but after driving the Lotus, the BMW feels like a battleship!

Thomas

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 AM

I have two British vehicles.

My daily driver is a Land Rover Discovery II. I don't see how anyone can top that for most un-Lotus-like.

Re: 3 series -- my wife's main car is a 325xiT. It's a great car. It feels crazy huge after getting out of the Lotus. Heck, my old S2000 felt cushy and overpadded when I stepped out of the Exige and into it. It had lightning quick steering, but lacked any true tactile feel of the road.

'06 BMW X5 - IMOLA RED
'06 Porsche 911 Carrera S - CARRERA WHITE [SOLD]
'02 BMW 325xiT - TOPAZ BLUE
'88 BMW M5 - BLACK [SOLD]
'02 Ducati 998S Bayliss - RED, WHITE & GREEN
'06 Lotus Exige - ARDENT RED [TRADED]
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 AM

BMW = Blocking My Way
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDaddyD
...The steering, not to mention the giant wheel really felt like a big wallowing bus...
After nearly two years of daily driving, any time I have to drive almost anything else, I grab the giant rim of its steering wheel and think "OK, where's the rest of the laundry basket?" Why power steering-aided cars feel the need to have these massive fulcrums, I don't know...

Tom
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:06 AM

After a weekend at the track in the Elise, my A4 avant daily driver felt like a boat. I kept thinking "why am I so high off the ground?" (the avant is lowered) "why is the steering wheel so big?" "why are the steering and clutch so light?" "what happened to all the bumps in the road?" "why can't I hear the exhaust?" "why do I feel like I'm sitting in an armchair?"

OTOH, the avant is smoother in power delivery and ride, the shifter is less clunky, and it has a cupholder for my coffee.

'05 SY Elise LSS/Touring/HT/Quicksilver, '03 Audi A4 1.8Tqm Avant, '95 Porsche 993 C2
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 AM

I traded a 2005 M3 on my Exige and there is no comparison. The M3 felt comparable in a straight line but I enjoy the handling much more in the Lotus. The M3 is like a fast tourer but lacks the hard edge that makes the Lotus so much fun. M's are great daily drivers though.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:36 AM

Um, I have an '81 Honda. The only thing it has in common with my Exige is that it's small. Well, maybe that and I get funny looks in both.

Robert
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomisR
only thing I miss is the ease of ingress egress of other cars..

And I used to get getting out of the Rx8 was a pain.
After a few months you will develop a good technique and it really is not that big of a deal. I can now get in ( with top on ) with my hands full, i just put right leg in, the butt and plop into the seat. Exit , put left leg out , push off with right hand on steering wheel, and right leg pushing off the ridged aluminum plate.

Currently:
1964 Volvo 1800S
1965 Sunbeam Tiger
1966 Pontiac GTO
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 VW Touareg - Support vehicle for all of the above
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in