drag launch...the good, the bad, and the ugly - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

drag launch...the good, the bad, and the ugly

took my g-tech and the elise out briefly today. first off i had trouble keeping power to the cord on the g-tech.. seems to be an issue with the female connector on the elise....
anyway, temp was 37 degrees and overcast. tried to warm the tires up a bit but realized i wouldnt be able to warm these up as much as needed anyway, so .....did my best.
first try, revved to about 7k and dropped the clutch. nothing but wheelspin and i aborted the run.
it was then that i realized this would be a much more daunting car to launch than i thought.
u need to keep revs over 6200 to stay on power. rev too high, like i did the first time, and u get excessive wheelspin. rev too low and the motor bogs and ur rpms drop to 4k and the motor has to build revs to get into its power band, very time consuming.
i have some experience from launching the demo car. (they didnt care) but its been awhile.
i know the best way for me to launch hard with this motor is slipping the clutch, and we all know how our clutch likes that.
anyway, i figured ill just do one more run, as i had to get home to meet company.
revved to about 6500, slipped the clutch a bit, and i let it go. i took it easy on the clutch, just getting a feel for now.
a little wheelspin, then the motor bogged down to 4500. i figured this would happen, as i havent enough time to familiarize myself with launching this car. but had my mind made up to just finish the run anyway.
considering it was such a TERRIBLE launch, i didnt think the results were too bad.....considering.
4.80 according to the g-timer. 60' time was 2.00.
road and track or whoever must have run this thing perfectly to get a 4.4 0-60mph.... i know the car is capable, i think that maybe i can even best that but not on cool pavement. i need some warm and dry pavement.
a good clutch would go a long, long, way.
till next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 01:27 PM

Good 0-60, but not a very good 60' time at all. For comparison, I've had just under 2 second 60' times in my MR2 Spyder with a lot of NA mods, SSR Comps, and new tires. I wouldn't just dump the clutch at that high RPM. The car should be able to hook up well, considering the light weight and good rubber. If you try different launch techniques you should be able to get the 60' time down.

It is all about "Other".
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 01:31 PM

I didn't realize that was the design intent. Did you try to turn the car ?

Steve

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

i know beanie, im trying to perfect the launch where i have minimal wheelspin while keeping the r's over 6200 the whole time...we'll get it. just takes some time to see what works for this car.

snowman, im oh so sorry this bothers you. tell u what.....when U buy the car u do with it what u want.
when I buy the car ill drive it the way I want.
deal?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sownman
I didn't realize that was the design intent. Did you try to turn the car ?

Steve
No offense but, why should you care if he wants to drag race his Elise. These sarcastic comments are dogmatic and old
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 02:18 PM

Sorry, you guys are right. I think I'll hop into my Cessna and sail to Catalina now.

Happy New Year

Steve
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 02:50 PM

Another 10-20 degrees and you'll have better grip. I suppose you drove around a bit too raise the carcass temps.

With a rugged clutch in the transaxle, you'd certainly be able to slip the thing more without snuffing it. I look forward to hearing your results in the future... There certainly are many clutches available for the car through the Celica avenue.

It might be nice to fit a lightweight pressure plate too, and maybe a flywheel at the same time. For drag stuff the diff may prove to be fine as-is.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

i agree stan. i knew it was too cold but curiosity got the best of me.
i drove at high speeds to try to get temps up a bit, but as u know, for these tires thats not good enough considering outdoor temps. haha, didnt wanna do burnouts to heat up the tires, clutch wont last. .
hks makes a nice clutch, ill do more research though. i want a nice streetable clutch that u can modulate the power. and yes, lightweight pressure plate and fidanza makes a 7.5lb. flywheel too.
this car will do very, very, well if u can get traction and stay on the top cam right from the launch
thanks stan.

sownman, may the winds be at your back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in