ECU Swap - 06 Elise & 06 Exige - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LostPawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

ECU Swap - 06 Elise & 06 Exige

Hey everyone,
Wondering if it's possible to swap ECU's between a drive by wire 06 Elise & a drive by wire 06 Exige? From what I've heard you need to stay with the same throttle mechanism and model year. I'm not sure if this particular combination is possible though. His Elise has a traction control button that is nonfunctional. My exige has functional traction control.

My lotus dealer said this won't be possible, but didn't give me a reason and so I thought I'd ask here - I'm swapping engines with a boe-built rev 400 & boe-tune. Was wondering if I could just use his ecu/tune and have the dealer reprogram the VIN(his car has lost his VIN anyway, due to the low-battery issue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 PM
Addict

Garage
Id check with BOE before haveing a dealer touch an ECU with their tune. I think the ECU should swap fine if it is tuned to the engine you are installing but again a call to BOE should come first.
Varun916 likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:55 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun916 View Post
Hey everyone,
Wondering if it's possible to swap ECU's between a drive by wire 06 Elise & a drive by wire 06 Exige? From what I've heard you need to stay with the same throttle mechanism and model year. I'm not sure if this particular combination is possible though. His Elise has a traction control button that is nonfunctional. My exige has functional traction control.

My lotus dealer said this won't be possible, but didn't give me a reason and so I thought I'd ask here - I'm swapping engines with a boe-built rev 400 & boe-tune. Was wondering if I could just use his ecu/tune and have the dealer reprogram the VIN(his car has lost his VIN anyway, due to the low-battery issue)
Asking Phil @turbophil is the first thing I'd do. The traction control is something that's been discussed before and you will want someone (Phil) that knows of what they speak.

Not sure why you want the VIN programmed as I personally would stay away from it.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Asking Phil @turbophil is the first thing I'd do. The traction control is something that's been discussed before and you will want someone (Phil) that knows of what they speak.

Not sure why you want the VIN programmed as I personally would stay away from it.

San
Was definitely planning on contacting them, though they're not the easiest to get a hold of, in my experience :-)

The ECU stores the car's VIN, so if I did end up using my friend's ECU it'd need to be reprogrammed to match my car(this is something they look for during emissions testing). Of course, not an issue if I keep my own.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone,
Wondering if it's possible to swap ECU's between a drive by wire 06 Elise & a drive by wire 06 Exige? From what I've heard you need to stay with the same throttle mechanism and model year. I'm not sure if this particular combination is possible though.
I don't see why not as the engine and DBW are the same.

Quote:
His Elise has a traction control button that is nonfunctional. My exige has functional traction control.
From memory, if the ECU doesn't see the traction control button in the first couple of times the car starts, it disables that permanently.

Quote:
The ECU stores the car's VIN, so if I did end up using my friend's ECU it'd need to be reprogrammed to match my car(this is something they look for during emissions testing). Of course, not an issue if I keep my own.
I've had no issues with CA smog (so far) where the ECU VIN didn't match the car. All they were interested in was that the DMV paperwork matched the windshield sticker.

Cheers.

2007 Exige S. Phantom Black/Black. KoldFire 270 SC.
1993 3000GT VR4. Green, not quite BRG, but close.
1988 Fiero GT. Red. RIP.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:39 AM

Don't let the dealer touch it

i would go for emissions and shrug 'I dunno' if they mention it. These cars do lose VIN so it is not in itself suspicious. REgular cars blow ECU's do they all do to the dealer to fix it?

The ECU's are the same, in fact aside from the tune, the 06-07 ecu should be the same, since BOE just tuned a NA 06 ECU for me for my 07 Exige
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:48 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieA View Post

I've had no issues with CA smog (so far) where the ECU VIN didn't match the car. All they were interested in was that the DMV paperwork matched the windshield sticker.

Cheers.
Same here. No CELs and I'm golden.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in