Elige upright upgrade questions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Elige upright upgrade questions

I知 wrapping up some suspension upgrades on the car and am planning some for the next year or two.

I知 sure I値l need new hubs soon enough and am curious about new uprights at the same time. I know Elsie Parts now has a few versions that fit the S2 Elige and they all seem to have slightly different designs. Some raise the hub more than others, some incorporate mounting for both rear brakes and other slight differences. Are there other options on uprights offered by different suppliers (I haven稚 seen any but that doesn稚 mean there are not some offered and not advertised). I also have the BOE toe link solution and am not sure if this changes what uprights work with that as they all seem to have placed the outer joint into double shear. Will that fit the toe link from BOE or are there modifications I壇 have to make to the upright or toe link to make them work together? Somewhere Elise Parts mentions using a tapered toe link ball joint, does this completely change the links I知 using? Are there other considerations I need to make when changing the upright? I run 15 rear rims, does the change in hub location make me move up a size in rim?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Less is Better

There are a surprising number of options.

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/...-s2-rear-pair/

https://www.palatov.com/shop/suspens...lise-uprights/

https://www.brypar.com/shop/prime-r/...front-upright/

https://www.fransisco.nl/lightweight-upright/

and then there's the folks who will machine the existing upright for increased camber adjustment...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:04 PM
He's on fire!

I see a lot of questions about "what" and "how", but I don't see much on "why"

Surely there is a problem you're interested in solving with new uprights. Do you require more camber? Perhaps you're interested in some of the brake caliper options afforded by aftermarket uprights? got money burning a hole in your pocket and need to turn a $XXX project into a $X,XXX project?

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
I see a lot of questions about "what" and "how", but I don't see much on "why"

Surely there is a problem you're interested in solving with new uprights. Do you require more camber? Perhaps you're interested in some of the brake caliper options afforded by aftermarket uprights? got money burning a hole in your pocket and need to turn a $XXX project into a $X,XXX project?
Why do I want different uprights? I'm not sure I do at this point and want some more information on the actual install before I start on something. The reason's I'm considering it are:

1) Lower ride height without changing angles of A-Arms, more camber and all that fun stuff.
2) Save some weight.
3) Currently running a 2-pot caliper in the rear with a bracket and would prefer one upright instead.
4) I'm not sure the stock upright is a wear item but mine are 10 years old now and look it (it is also going to see continued track use).
5) I'll be needing new hubs in the next year or two I'm sure and if I'm already taking it that far apart I might as well see what else needs to be replaced.
6) I'm really trying not to spend more on this project this year but planning for the future and the uprights seem affordable enough but if that means new toe links and/or other items to make them actually fit I might cross this off the upgrade list.

Edit: Do I ask a lot of questions about "what" and "how"?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:04 PM

I have Elise Parts uprights installed on my car front and rear. The main reason was to improve (correct) roll centers after lowering my car. The second reason was that it was right after the UK had voted for Brexit and the GBP had crashed making UK parts very nicely priced!! If you are not concerned about your roll centers then while your existing uprights probably look rusty, I am sure they have a lot of life left in them. I have the uprights that position the hubs 20mm higher, which means I can lower the car 20mm minimum without negatively affecting geometry. I run approximately 110mm front with a 10mm rake. Negative camber will also increase quite a bit, I can get about 3 degrees in the front and more in the rear. I don't see why your BOE toe links would not fit the rear uprights.

In your situation, I would call Geary or Ian at Eliseparts and talk over your expectations, they were very helpful to me. They are very nicely made parts and I'm happy with the way the car drives.

Last edited by Zink; 02-20-2019 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink View Post
I have Elise Parts uprights installed on my car front and rear. The main reason was to improve (correct) roll centers after lowering my car. The second reason was that it was right after the UK had voted for Brexit and the GBP had crashed making UK parts very nicely priced!! If you are not concerned about your roll centers then while your existing uprights probably look rusty, I am sure they have a lot of life left in them. I have the uprights that position the hubs 20mm higher, which means I can lower the car 20mm minimum without negatively affecting geometry. I run approximately 110mm front with a 10mm rake. Negative camber will also increase quite a bit, I can get about 3 degrees in the front and more in the rear. I don't see why your BOE toe links would not fit the rear uprights.

In your situation, I would call Geary or Ian at Eliseparts and talk over your expectations, they were very helpful to me. They are very nicely made parts and I'm happy with the way the car drives.
Thanks for the contact reference. I am planning on a ride height change and want it to be a good as I can get it.

I ask about the toe links as the BOE links change the size of the bolts on each end and the mounting hardware is different, I'm assuming the uprights use the stock size bolt. Not sure I want to drill the uprights to fit and also not sure if I can simply change the toe link end to fit. I'm sure it can all line up in the end but I'd like to avoid several different shipments from vendors or bolt suppliers part way through the install.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Thanks for the contact reference. I am planning on a ride height change and want it to be a good as I can get it.

I ask about the toe links as the BOE links change the size of the bolts on each end and the mounting hardware is different, I'm assuming the uprights use the stock size bolt. Not sure I want to drill the uprights to fit and also not sure if I can simply change the toe link end to fit. I'm sure it can all line up in the end but I'd like to avoid several different shipments from vendors or bolt suppliers part way through the install.
Give BOE a call, they are familiar with the eliseparts uprights and should know whether you would, I assume at the worst, have to change the heim joint at the upright. I would not drill the eliseparts uprights as they are aluminum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in