Evija Hypercar - electric - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:29 PM

I can't quite afford one (: but the PR for Lotus must be massive. When people are now inspired to go into a dealer and discover they can buy a brand-new 400 for $85,000, they will feel like billionaires. Let's bask in the temporary glory. As Lotus enthusiasts, this should make us all happy.
PLAY-DOH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:40 PM

Getting ready for my new ride...
Attached Images

RBH and REKIII like this.

2017 Evora Sport 410

2006 Elise British Racing Green SOLD
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
. I though the US has finally come around to accepting side cameras, which this has.
My $22,000 Honda Civic Si has a side camera. Itís really useful , all cars should have them. Especially mid engined.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:26 PM

It's disappointing, if perhaps predictable, that Lotus is going in this direction. An electric drive train provides the means for supercar performance at historical Lotus pricing. I'm already driving a Tesla Model 3 that can do 0-60 in 3.3 seconds all day long. It handles amazingly well for a heavy car and is as much fun to drive as the Elise. Lotus should be taking a similar drive train and putting it in a lighter, better-handling, better-looking chassis. They would sell tons of them and would further the brand. Instead they will struggle to sell this new hypercar, as the Lotus brand is simply not in the same dictionary as Lamborghini and McLaren. Lotus is a value brand, which hypercars are, almost by definition, not. I mean even the new Tesla Roadster, at $200k, will crush this Lotus.

All that said, I'm happy to see that Lotus is realizing the ICE age is over.

Last edited by lotusland2018; 07-17-2019 at 09:05 PM. Reason: hypercar grammar
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1_fd3s View Post
Shmee just posted a video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSmaPghu2fg
Thanks for posting but Shmee is just intolerable past three seconds.

When are we going to do your toe link brace?
lt1_fd3s and lotusquacious like this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianLynch View Post
It is up to the discretion of the NHTSA whether this gets approved under that rule or not. It is not a given.
They claim it's based on technical/historical significance and low production. Much less significant and higher production cars have made the cut.

2005 Lotus Elise - 2012 FIAT 500 Abarth
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusland2018 View Post
It's disappointing, if perhaps predictable, that Lotus is going in this direction. An electric drive train provides the means for supercar performance at historical Lotus pricing. I'm already driving a Tesla Model 3 that can do 0-60 in 3.3 seconds all day long. It handles amazingly well for a heavy car and is as much fun to drive as the Elise. Lotus should be taking a similar drive train and putting it in a lighter, better-handling, better-looking chassis. They would sell tons of them and would further the brand. Instead they will struggle to sell this new hypercar, as the Lotus brand is simply not in the same dictionary as Lamborghini and McLaren. Lotus is a value brand, which hypercars are, almost by definition, not. I mean even the new Tesla Roadster, at $200k, will crush this Lotus.

All that said, I'm happy to see that Lotus is realizing the ICE age is over.
You lost me at Tesla Model 3 being as much fun to drive as an Elise
Dylan and Crazy05 like this.

2011 Solar Yellow Elise SC
2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
6 spd., 2+2, PB Racing Monza Wheels, Plack Exhaust & one bad ass air freshener (SOLD)
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
You lost me at Tesla Model 3 being as much fun to drive as an Elise
My M3P (performance) is an absolute blast to drive. It's completely tossable and runs 3.1 0-60's all day long. Stoplight assassin.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:47 AM

We've learned that Lotus will be bringing the Evija to Monterey in 2 weeks!

First, on Friday Aug 16 at the Quail Car Show (where Lotus is a premiere sponsor) and then again on the lawn on Sunday Aug 18 at the Pebble Beach Concours.

Tickets to Quail are near impossible to get, but it's still possible to get into Pebble. Some of us "locals" with the Golden Gate Lotus Club will try to get to both events and share photos and video during the weekend.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
It handles amazingly well for a heavy car and is as much fun to drive as the Elise.
Alrighty...

Quote:
Lotus should be taking a similar drive train and putting it in a lighter, better-handling, better-looking chassis.
This already happened. It was called the Tesla Roadster. I am pretty sure another company tried as well called Detroit Electric and as far as I know its dead in the water.

Also, you're assuming this won't happen. Lotus explicitly said that the tech from the Evija will trickle down.

Quote:
They would sell tons of them and would further the brand.
No they wouldn't. There are probably tens, if not hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of people who just realized Lotus either existed or still existed when they heard about the Evija. This is the point of the Evija. To bring new brand awareness, create a flag ship car, to take what they learned from the Evija and apply that to their new line-up of cars. I really don't understand why some people don't get this. Whether it will work or not will remains to be seen, but I think you are fooling yourself to think if Lotus just released a new electric Elise-like car that it would have sold well, it most like would not. Lotus still has a lot of work to do and a big one is their dealership network. It makes way more sense to start at the top and whittle your way down than to start at the bottom and try to fight your way up.

Quote:
Instead they will struggle to sell this new hypercar, as the Lotus brand is simply not in the same dictionary as Lamborghini and McLaren.
And they won't get there by making an electric Elise. Its funny you mention McLaren because I don't remember McLaren starting out making a $60k budget McLaren and working their way up. They made a hypercar, and then to reinvigorate the brand they made another hypercar. Flagship cars for any company are rarely money makers they are to show off their tech and design.

The good news is that Lotus has stated they still want to make cars in their current price brackets. Whether they do or not remains to be seen.

Quote:
I mean even the new Tesla Roadster, at $200k, will crush this Lotus.
It will crush it how? Definitely not looks. Price? I don't think someone looking at a Evija is doing comparing shopping with the Roadster. Ones a limited production exotic hypercar, the other is not. I don't think Lotus would do all that work on the Evija knowing it would get crushed by the Roadster, sorry, that just doesn't make sense.
glb, David Craig and Lotus111 like this.
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:24 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
For me the Evija's flaw is that it is meaningless in my automotive universe. As a statement, it's fine. As a product, it is irrelevant to me. A matter of passing interest only.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in