Evija pre-sales strong, according to Lotus - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:54 AM

Nobody's seen one on the road simply because Lotus hasn't built one yet -- not a real, live, actual car. And perhaps they won't ever do so.

If one sets out to build a $2mil "hypercar," one should have a pretty good idea of where the buyers are going to come from first. Typically the first run would be small, and would be sold out completely before it was ever publicly unveiled; a direct comparison here is Aston's hideous, and hideously expensive, Valkyrie, but you can also think of the first Veyrons, the top-end McLarens, etc.

And when it comes time to display your great technological and aesthetic leap, why wouldn't you do it at Geneva or New York? Well, maybe one can count on a softer, more uncritically enthusiastic reception from Monterey's car-guy audience.

As for all of the "orders" that have come in for the car, how many deposits has Lotus taken exactly? Can one simply "order" a car costing millions of dollars without putting down a single cent? Is that really an "order"?

(Minor historical note: when Lotus announced the Elan M100, they said they had already taken "orders" for lots of them... more vehicles than they in fact ended up building over the entire production life of that justly forgotten little car. I came across this fact recently, and happened to read the Evija Monterey press release the same day. Otherwise there's no connection between the subjects at all. Cough cough.)

Making a fast electric car is easy. Series producing a successful fast electric car sure isn't. And telling the world that, oh gosh, the US order book is almost full so you better hurry and get your order in! is in my view just amateurish.

But I would love to be proven wrong!
Crazy05 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post
(Minor historical note: when Lotus announced the Elan M100, they said they had already taken "orders" for lots of them... more vehicles than they in fact ended up building over the entire production life of that justly forgotten little car. I came across this fact recently, and happened to read the Evija Monterey press release the same day. Otherwise there's no connection between the subjects at all. Cough cough.)
Per the Lotus Evija information packet, order process and payment schedule -
Registration to Order
Confirmation of Order - $300K (refundable)
Order Specification - $300K (now $600K non-refundable)
Production Confirmation - $700K ($1.3M non-refundable)
Delivery - Remaining balance

While I was at the Quail show in Carmel/Monterey I witnessed at least 9 "Registration to Order" that were completed and signed by potential/serious buyers.

I may have posted this already, our Tour of the Evija -

Kiyoshi

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
Not what I asked. I just want to see the car in actual 'car' motion. Monterey, Hethel, a Walmart parking lot, anywhere.

So far it's not much more than what Bahar was peddling a few years ago.
Usually, the Happy Face emoji in this context is interpreted to mean "humorously" or "jokingly" rendered.

Also, the article this was from went on to talk about all the hypercars introduced at Monterey, and what happened, e.g., Bugatti has received orders for all 10 Centodieci with a list price of $8.9M. I haven't seen any in the Walmart lot, or in a crash-testing video yet, but maybe the people who ordered have.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamai View Post
While I was at the Quail show in Carmel/Monterey I witnessed at least 9 "Registration to Order" that were completed and signed by potential/serious buyers.
I sincerely hope those turn into actual money for Lotus someday soon. Indeed, I think moving to a high-end, truly handmade product is the only realistic path for Lotus to survive as a manufacturer -- and even that is a fairly narrow path. However it's much too early to declare any kind of success with this so-far-still-theoretical car (which I'm sure is not what you were saying).
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:31 PM

The car that was at Monterrey also came to Galpin Van Nuys. It had 3 regular size batteries and a limited electric motor. It ran out of juice while setting up for the evening event on 8/22. About a dozen people were videoing the car from all angles and we were asked to stop while it was pushed into place so that they could plug in the charger. I saw at least one person from Irvine that looked like he did not stop recording. You'll see me in an orange shirt helping push if photos/videos ever surface. Car did seem very light.

I was told that there are at least 2 mules in Hethel that are testing actual battery and engines.
Attached Images

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALtd View Post

I was told that there are at least 2 mules in Hethel that are testing actual battery and engines.
Name:  two mules.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  27.2 KB
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:07 AM

That's frigging hilarious!!!
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALtd View Post
The car that was at Monterrey also came to Galpin Van Nuys. It had 3 regular size batteries and a limited electric motor.
There's a specific car industry term for that, ie a show body with a golf cart motor. I'm forgetting what it is; maybe somebody here knows... a punt? A skate?

Quote:
Lotus has access to some pretty advanced drive tech via Geely, plus natively it has some of the best brains in auto engineering. And if the parent really does start building Lotus-branded luxury SUVs in China, as was bruited about earlier this year, it will put more impetus behind building the brand.

But given that the Chinese auto market is in freefall, and luxury brands around the world are suffering in most every market (German auto production is down ~20% YOY in the last figures I saw), it's going to take some courage and very patient dollars to start a serious Lotus revival.

We'd all love to see it happen, though.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

According to Wikipedia, looks like: concept car; development mule; prototype; pre-production; production; mass production.

Based solely on comments here, public articles, and photos, seem like this is somewhere between development mule and protoype? I feel like concept cars often don't have an interior, or they do, but they don't have any suspension or drive line components? A mule seems top have drive line and suspension, but installed into a different vehicle shell with that vehicle's interior. This car seems to have all of the drive line and interior components, even though they may not be fully working?
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:42 AM

I really hope this halo car does well as it seems obvious for Lotus to go up market, but my real hope would be that Lotus continues to build real Lotuses.
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post
There's a specific car industry term for that, ie a show body with a golf cart motor. I'm forgetting what it is; maybe somebody here knows... a punt? A skate?
A roller?
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
This car seems to have all of the drive line and interior components, even though they may not be fully working?
No, this car does not have a driveline. It just has a little scooter motor to get it on and off the transport.

Driveline testing is happening in cars that probably don't anything at all like the Monterey car at this stage.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:02 AM

The Dany Esprit had an interior and was driven from the transporter to the NYAS under its own power. The Evija probably has that "drivetrain". I'm not knocking the Evija but its not uncommon to have a show car with this configuration.

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovora View Post
I spoke to someone who drove the car and they said it was impressive.
I think someone was pulling your leg.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 08:35 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamai View Post
Per the Lotus Evija information packet, order process and payment schedule -
Registration to Order
Confirmation of Order - $300K (refundable)
Order Specification - $300K (now $600K non-refundable)
Production Confirmation - $700K ($1.3M non-refundable)
Delivery - Remaining balance

I may have posted this already, our Tour of the Evija - https://youtu.be/5HfDrHpJotU

Kiyoshi
I refuse to buy any car that has a remaining balance after I have put down a deposit totaling $1.6 million. On principle!

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:41 PM

... and on interest!
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:05 AM

I want to see one....someday...amazing look and tech if they pull it off!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Those of us who live in the real world likely underestimate the capacity of the markets, and of the wealthy, to absorb items that are seemingly - and perhaps, actually - overpriced.

Some may have recently read about some super-yachts for sale in $200M-$300M+ range, or homes and penthouse apartments for $75M-$150M.

While the sale of the first Supra may have also had charity connections: https://www.motor1.com/news/301709/f...supra-auction/; this story suggest someone may have paid $150k+ for one. https://autoweek.com/article/wait-th...ld-almost-200k

It's not at all impossible to believe that someone could sell all production of the Evija for the asking price. None of us would be surprised if this was Ferrari, McLaren, Bugatti, Koenigsegg, etc.. We can debate whether this is what Lotus should have done, but no one would have paid this much for any conventional Lotus, so the only way, in my opinion, to break through to the top ranks was to do something (almost no one) had previously done. 130 people might not have paid this much for a Lotus supercar, but 130 people might conceivably pay this much for an electric Lotus supercar.

How many households have at least $1M in net work (and you'de need a lot more than this for an Evija)? This site https://dqydj.com/how-many-millionai...aires-america/ says almost 15M.

How much would you need to buy an Evjia? At least $10M? Probably more. But at $10M, there are still almost 1.4M households, so 130 is only .00009. $50M? 84,000 households, which would be .00155.
REKIII likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in