Evora or Elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Evora or Elise?

New to the forum here, and first time looking into getting a Lotus! I've been thinking about this for a long time now and have decided that I would like to add a Lotus as a weekend car to my garage. The next dilemma I'm having is deciding between an Evora or an Elise. I'm leaning towards the Evora S because I like the styling and the interior better than the Elise, but the Elise can be had cheaper. Also, the extra power from the v6 and SC would be great to have in a car like this IMO. I'm just torn on which direction to go. What do you guys say? Does it mainly just come down to personal preference or is one better than the other? I would be using it for spirited weekend driving on back roads and occasionally when the weather is nice using it to commute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:24 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspecd View Post
New to the forum here, and first time looking into getting a Lotus! I've been thinking about this for a long time now and have decided that I would like to add a Lotus as a weekend car to my garage. The next dilemma I'm having is deciding between an Evora or an Elise. I'm leaning towards the Evora S because I like the styling and the interior better than the Elise, but the Elise can be had cheaper. Also, the extra power from the v6 and SC would be great to have in a car like this IMO. I'm just torn on which direction to go. What do you guys say? Does it mainly just come down to personal preference or is one better than the other? I would be using it for spirited weekend driving on back roads and occasionally when the weather is nice using it to commute.
Two very different animals.

The Elise is over a thousand pounds lighter. It doesn't need as much power. It has very sharp handling and is nimble.

The Evora is a better daily driver vehicle. It has more power because it has more weight. It handles well but it will never be an Elise. It wasn't mean to be.

You shouldn't listen to anyone here to decide what you want. Drive both and make your own decision.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:57 PM

Garage
Longer answer: the two cars are very different, with the Elise being more raw (think go kart on the road) while the Evora is more of a grand touring car that has much more finished feel but is bigger and heavier. From testing straight line speeds with a friend, the power difference doesnít change the acceleration between the two because the Evora weighs so much more. The Evora has more storage room as a daily driver and creature comforts like floor mats and leather lined arm rests. All that said, there can be some appeal to how connected you feel to the car in an Elise since they lack power steering and on a 2005 model they even have a cable throttle body. One isnít better than the other, theyíre just two different experiences built by the same company. It all depends what suits your needs better and how much compromise youíd like to make for a sports car in comparison to a normal car. Iíd recommend trying to drive one of each before making the choice and youíll know which one is right for you.

Short answer: buy the Evora. Next question.

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:53 AM

What he said, except:

Short Answer: Buy the Elise. Next Question.

If the Evora came with a targa top, I might have considered it. Nothing beats the open air experience of the Elise.
glb, ShadowWulf369, brytee and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Also, the extra power from the v6 and SC would be great to have in a car like this IMO. I'm just torn on which direction to go. What do you guys say? Does it mainly just come down to personal preference or is one better than the other? I would be using it for spirited weekend driving on back roads and occasionally when the weather is nice using it to commute.
Drive each before you make the decision. I like the Elise because I wanted the most responsive car and I wanted it for commuting and track days. It's a great car for that. It is on the level of a frogeye sprite or MG Midget as a GT car - pretty terrible, although it does settle in to a very nice 80-120 MPH cruise on the superslab.

As for the power thing, remember that an Evora is significantly heavier than an Elise/Exige (~1950 lbs is a common weight for the Elige versus ~3000 lbs for an Evora). Even an Alfa 4c is 500 lbs heavier than an Elise. The power/weight numbers for a blown Elise are comparable with most of the Evora family, and an Elige with blower is a well-understood package at this point.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:28 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
You can use the Evora every day for routine business. You can tour it. It has working amenities like real AC, GPS, and space for luggage. It has power steering. It is tight, and quieter at speed in the way an Elise isn't. It isn't as raw as the Elise and you can't get it as a convertible. The Elise has unmatched ability as a lightweight handling machine. The Evora is comfortable and usable as a car in a way the Elise will never be.

Decide what you want in a car and go from there.

The Elise didn't fulfill the needs I had for a car that I could use as a GT and still enjoy in tight spots,Elise being more of a sprinter. You may not want that duality of purpose the Evora provides but I couldn't do without it.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:40 AM

Jspecd, you said "using it for spirited weekend driving on back roads and occasionally when the weather is nice using it to commute." If you had said "using it for commutes, and occasionally for spirited weekend driving on back roads", I would recommend the Evora (or actually a Porsche 911 or Cayman). But since you plan to use it primarily for spirited driving, I would recommend the Elise. I own both a 911 for when I'm with my wife and need to be civilized, and the Elise for when I don't have to worry about a passenger who gets car sick.
SS Lotus Elise likes this.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:16 AM

Aside from the nearly indescribable driving experience, there's little to recommend on the elise. It's a tiny, noisy, rattly car that's not very comfortable on long drives, difficult to get into and impossible to get out of, with a very spartan interior and fairly useless A/C. But it is oh so fun to drive on a twisty road!

I wouldn't recommend buying an elise without first driving one... it may not be what you're looking for at all. But once you've done so, the decision will be obvious - one way or the other.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Im looking at the supercharged Evora since it has more power and is still a fast car, but a supercharged Elise seems like it would be matched to the Evora S. Iím still just torn. They both seem like great cars, I guess the only way to know is by driving each?
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Double post, sorry.

Last edited by Jspecd; 06-09-2019 at 07:10 PM.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

I just went and sat in an Elise...wow! The thing is literally a racecar for the streets! It was kind of intimidating to be in there. I do like it though, but getting in and out is a challenge.
sege and patvr like this.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 AM

Getting in and out of an Elise gets a little easier over time.

I went with a supercharged Elise and never looked back but mine is a weekend track toy and occasional daily driver/date night with the wife kind of car. For those roles I think it's perfect, but as others have stated, it's certainly not the perfect car for everyone.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFDesignworks View Post
Getting in and out of an Elise gets a little easier over time.

I went with a supercharged Elise and never looked back but mine is a weekend track toy and occasional daily driver/date night with the wife kind of car. For those roles I think it's perfect, but as others have stated, it's certainly not the perfect car for everyone.

Thanks! I think Iíll like the Elise/Exige because its so raw. The Evora looks really nice too though, but can it handle corners for spirited driving and be just as fun? It seems like it can but I havenít heard much about the Evora.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys! Im looking at the supercharged Evora since it has more power and is still a fast car, but a supercharged Elise seems like it would be matched to the Evora S. Iím still just torn. They both seem like great cars, I guess the only way to know is by driving each?
They aren't really comparable. I think if you're looking at an Elise, you don't want an Evora. If you were cross shopping a Porsche Cayman, an Alfa 4C, and a Corvette I'd say Evora.

Your real choice is probably between Elise and Exige.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks! I think Iíll like the Elise/Exige because its so raw. The Evora looks really nice too though, but can it handle corners for spirited driving and be just as fun? It seems like it can but I havenít heard much about the Evora.
Short answer is yes, the Evora can handle curves. Can it handle curves better than the Elise? Maybe, but probably not. I don't have first hand experience in the Elise. The Evora is still a blast on Spirited Drives, in fact that's my favorite thing to do with my car. I've attached a photo of a drive that I was leading in my N/A Evora. I believe I was able to make the drive fun for all involved, whether they were in an Elige or Evora. The Evora will definitely feel more of the weight of the car, but to me that weight was put where it counts to make the car more of a normal car, rather than being so raw and purpose built like the Elige.

Again, comes down to what you want out of a car. BTW, I wouldn't rule out an N/A Evora just because S models exist. Both are very fun to drive, and N/A models are much easier to find.
Attached Images

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:21 AM

And with an NA, you might just get to actually wind out a gear in normal driving.

The S is dreadful in normal commute traffic because of this.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:36 AM

just buy one of each and call it a day... =D
aterren likes this.

WNC Tour Guide - WNC Drives (click me!)
'93 Vintage Red RX-7 - NA 20B
'06 Chili Red Exige - RIP 2017.12.01
'06 Ardent Red Exige Katana2 - try this again
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
I just went and sat in an Elise...wow! The thing is literally a racecar for the streets! It was kind of intimidating to be in there. I do like it though, but getting in and out is a challenge.
As far as I'm concerned, the entrance/egress thing is an argument in favor of the Elise over the Exige (unless you soft-top the Exige, of course). Getting in and out of the Elise with the top off is pretty straightforward. There are several ways to do it, just remember to put your weight on the door sill and seat back instead of the windshield header. It can be done looking almost graceful once you figure out how.

With the top on is another matter - there is no graceful way to duck your head down that far while also putting your butt in the seat. That said, it does get a lot easier with practice.

If you do find yourself operating the Elise without a roof most of the time, you'll be wanting a cap to keep the sun out of your eyes during much of the day (I store a ball cap under the passenger seat for this purpose). The windshield header is quite far forward and doesn't block the sun at all.
patvr likes this.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:59 AM

My two cents would be, do you like driving a race car on the weekend or a performance car? Elise is pretty much a race car on the road, it's cramps, hard to get in/out, uncouch, uncomfortable, loud, ride really low, I can barely see into the window of the adjacent sedan. Evora is going to perform quite similar, but will be on the other end of the spectrum with everything else. It's much more comfortable, real audio, real AC, actual supportive seats, decent ride height, and your passenger would likely enjoy the ride.

With all that said, I would pick the Elise over the Evora just because I enjoy the rawness of the drive in the Elise. It's pretty much you and the car. There's almost nothing else in between.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM

I disagree with people stating one isnít better then the other...l one is better however which one is better depends on who is buying it, why you want to buy it etc... Most buy whichever one they feel is a better fit for their lifestyle.

As stated the Elise is tiny... which is good and bad. I want a car that I can comfortably drive wherever I want, long trips, track weekend, daily driver etc which has led me to the evora. My only complaint with the car is needs a sunroof....

As great as the Elise is I want something thatís easier to live with, something I can drive almost year round.... not just a weekend toy... also something I can take to soccer or volleyball (games and/or tournaments) and not cramp up like the last time I took my Buell to soccer..

Evora as stated is more of a GT car while the Elise/exige is closer to a go kart as people have stated. Consumables will also be more with the evora due to larger wheel/tires, brakes, more weight etc...

If I could have both w/o a doubt I would....... but I canít so almost ready to get a evora 400
sege likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in