Exotic Car Owner's Code of Conduct - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 03:45 PM

"First to market will be the Esprit, with an on-sale date set for the Spring of 2013. With a body made entirely of carbon fiber it will be a true exotic, using a supercharged version of the Lexus 5.0-liter V6 making 542-hp in standard trim and a whopping 612-hp in R-spec trim."

"With a body made entirely of carbon fiber..."
"612 hp"

Mmmmmmm, now that's what I call EXOTIC!

Of course, the high school kids (who were on a field trip to the track today!) thought my car was pretty exotic.

Frank Amoroso
Fun with cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Disingenuous Minion

This whole thread is a little pretentious IMHO.

Its a car. You bought it, drive it like you want. I couldn't care less what other road-goers think about me by association with other Elise or "exotic" car owners.

Last edited by elisesile; 10-02-2010 at 08:21 AM.
post #43 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisesile View Post

Its a car. You bought it, drive it like you want. I could care less what other road-goers think about me by association with other Elise or "exotic" car owners.
I do agree with you on this. It is a car and it should be driven.

Really the point or this thread was more about behavior than labels.

Courtesy is free and respect is earned.

When it comes to a community of interest like ours that means I'd hate to have my car keyed because another Lotus driver was acting like a fool.

2008 Elise SC / Storm Titanium

post #44 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:

Its a car. You bought it, drive it like you want. I could care less what other road-goers think about me by association with other Elise or "exotic" car owners.
I dont think hes trying to tell anyone how to drive their car. Besides, being a public menace isnt a good idea anyways. Drive it hard when the situation permits. I think the spirit of what hes saying is to not weave in and out of traffic or drag race other idiots from light to light.

I understand why you may not care what others think but at the same time if enough people that have certain cars act like jerks, well, you know, it ends up affecting everyone in a negative way. Do as you wish of course, but be aware of the big picture too.

Just saying.

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?
post #45 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:

While I look am one who holds the opinion that Lotus cars are indeed exotic, I completely understand and agree with your point. The "Code of Conduct" is a bit much, and whether exotic or not, it is just a car.

I'm going to treat other people I meet nicely if they are respectful to me, and that's about it. I'm not going t keep it spotless all the time, answer every question every teenager shouts at me, and proactively register it for every homecoming, D.A.R.E or MoveOn rally.

At the end of the day, it's your car and you should do what you want without feeling obligated to live by some patronizing "code of conduct".

2011 Liquid Blue Lotus Evora
post #46 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:15 AM

Pulled into a gas station in the Exige yesterday off the 405 and was swarmed by a bunch of kids who jumped out of a minivan to take pics in front of my car.

For me, that's the barometer of "exotic or not". If a bunch of 12/13 year old kids want to take pictures of your car... that's the purest vote for exotic.

Turn your flatscreen TV into a work of art.
Modern Art DVD | Plasma Aquarium DVD | Widescreen Fireplace DVD
07 Exige S - Ardent Red, Stage II Exhaust, LSD, Touring pack
06 Range Rover Supercharged - Java Black
06 Range Rover Sport - Java Black
05 Elise - Ardent Red, Stage II Exhaust, Touring pack
post #47 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:26 AM

How pretentious. Wow. As if owning an exotic requires someone to act in accord to a code.

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #48 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepe View Post
How pretentious. Wow. As if owning an exotic requires someone to act in accord to a code.
Again - I think you guys are taking this a little too personally or something. There isnt anything there that is truly unreasonable. Sure, the car wont be spotless all the time, you wont be entering for charity events every week, you wont always be in a Mister Rogers type of mood.

Its just a guideline and a very decent one,MO. You are not bound by military law or something. Geesh, guys....????

post #49 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepe View Post
If a person needs rules to be a good car owner, so be it.. No harm no foul. I really don't see any harm in it..

Let's look at the opposite.

1. I will not care about what others think of my dirty car, nor will I care about whether or not it runs perfectly. If it breaks on me, that's what mechanics are for. If someone doesn't like my dirty car, it's their problem.

2. I will not bother answering any questions pertaining to my car. And any stupid questions will get an "Oh, it's just down the road" answer from me as get in my car and drive off.

3. I will always try to park in an area which draws little to no attention. So as to keep people from taking pictures of my license plate and interior of my car. So as to keep dirtly little hands off my car. So as to not have to listen to stupid questions or statements like "Uh is that one of them thar Locusts?", or "Look it's a Lotus Tesla".

4. I will drive my car to my heart's content, so long as I don't kill myself or get jail-time. I will try not to get more than 1 speeding ticket every 18 months.

5. My car is my heaven. I will enjoy every moment in it and make sure it will always be my heaven, and not my hell.

6. I will avoid any and all community services as they have nothing to do with whether I drive a Pinto or Bugatti, and by showing up in a very expensive car, only furthers the false hope people have on the wealthy to cure the world's problems. Rich people don't give. That's why we're rich. Hello?

7. To keep my car exotic as exclusive and rare as possible, I will tell most people what a pain it is to own, how terrible it drives, and how it's burning my pockets due to mechanical issues.

8. As I uncover flaws and failures in my routine inspections and regular use, I will try to forget that I mistakened the term "handbuilt" for a selling point, and remember the large sum of money I forked over--which is more the reason I will be compelled to complain and ensure [the Company] fixes the issue promptly, and *never* chalk up poor worksmanship as "character".

... Actually now that I think about it....
post #50 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
If a person needs rules to be a good car owner, so be it.. No harm no foul. I really don't see any harm in it..

1. I will not care about what others think of my dirty car, nor will I care about whether or not it runs perfectly. If it breaks on me, that's what mechanics are for. If someone doesn't like my dirty car, it's their problem.

2. I will not bother answering any questions pertaining to my car. And any stupid questions will get an "Oh, it's just down the road" answer from me as get in my car and drive off.

3. I will always try to park in an area which draws little to no attention. So as to keep people from taking pictures of my license plate and interior of my car. So as to keep dirtly little hands off my car. So as to not have to listen to stupid questions or statements like "Uh is that one of them thar Locusts?", or "Look it's a Lotus Tesla".

4. I will drive my car to my heart's content, so long as I don't kill myself or get jail-time. I will try not to get more than 1 speeding ticket every 18 months.

5. My car is my heaven. I will enjoy every moment in it and make sure it will always be my heaven, and not my hell.

6. I will avoid any and all community services as they have nothing to do with whether I drive a Pinto or Bugatti, and by showing up in a very expensive car, only furthers the false hope people have on the wealthy to cure the world's problems. Rich people don't give. That's why we're rich. Hello?

7. To keep my car exotic as exclusive and rare as possible, I will tell most people what a pain it is to own, how terrible it drives, and how it's burning my pockets due to mechanical issues.

8. As I uncover flaws and failures in my routine inspections and regular use, I will try to forget that I mistakened the term "handbuilt" for a selling point, and remember the large sum of money I forked over--which is more the reason I will be compelled to complain and ensure [the Company] fixes the issue promptly, and *never* chalk up poor worksmanship as "character".

Hilarious.... this is a great way to look at it from the perspective of a real scrooge. Why not add:

9. I will try to use my car as much as possible to run over small kittens and puppies, hopefully just maiming them for a few weeks so they suffer, then die a whimpering death.

post #51 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 AM

AMEN

I like it.
post #52 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post

I love that list!

I think, on a serious note, I'm going to definitely use some of those Definitely 2-5. Next time I get a group of teenagers shouting to me "Hey Man! Hey Man! What's that thing cost?!?" My reply: "Oh it's just down the road".

I'll drive it anywhere I want to, whenever I want to, whether dirty or clean...and yes, driving the Elise with the top down on a curvy road with the sun shining is my heaven.

2011 Liquid Blue Lotus Evora
post #53 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:13 PM

How do you guys handle things like Lions Club members asking for charitable donations at intersections?

Personally, I am much more likely to be extra generous in a wide variety of situations when driving the Lotus, as opposed to my rusty Jeep Wrangler.
post #54 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto44 View Post
How do you guys handle things like Lions Club members asking for charitable donations at intersections?

Personally, I am much more likely to be extra generous in a wide variety of situations when driving the Lotus, as opposed to my rusty Jeep Wrangler.
I had the same hobo who was badmouthing my car the other day (literally pulled a woman aside that was going in the gas station and told her "can you believe someone would spend $100,000 on a car?!") ask for money from me at the intersection... I rolled up my window despite not having any top on and pretended like I couldn't hear him

2006 Aspen White Elise
http://projectelise.com - blogging the Elise
Ongoing Elise & Exige Price Trend Spreadsheet (OPEN SHEET IN EXCEL! Google Docs butchers it and shows errors...)
post #55 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
9. I will try to use my car as much as possible to run over small kittens and puppies, hopefully just maiming them for a few weeks so they suffer, then die a whimpering death.

post #56 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 05:22 PM

This isn't a list of rules, just a single person's opinion about the best way to present a rare car to the public.

Of course, the code in itself is full of good and kind ideas, but really applies more to show/rarely driven cars. Anyone who strictly follows this code with their daily driver is more patient than anyone I know, probably retired, and possibly mad.

In places like LA, Chicago, etc, I can see why a Lotus wouldn't be considered exotic. Here in Arkansas, they sure as s**t are, though. People flip out about any Ferrari down here. There are no Lamborghinis. I saw a Maserati... Once. Porsches and Mercedes are all over the place, but I doubt many people here have ever seen an Elise. Ever.

Location is everything.

Iguana in Michigan: Exotic.
Iguana in Central America: Food.

Last edited by Cory1134; 10-08-2010 at 05:29 PM.
post #57 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 06:43 PM

Iguana in Michigan: Exotic.
Iguana in Central America: Food.

Dang, that's almost a bumper sticker!

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #58 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 06:13 AM

Somethings cannot be quantified, you just know it when you see it. To me the elise appears and is exotic, yet it is the least expensive car I own....I don't even remotely consider my other cars exotic, but they have their own intended use for which they fit my need. That's not to say that other people "see" the elise the way I do, but I don't care.

It's kind of like an exotic women, you can try and describe what makes her exotic, but in reality when you see "it" you know she has "it", and the academic discussion about the curves and other things go out the window...Plus, just like the elise, not everyone can "see" what makes a given woman exotic to you...Some will, others just think your nuts.
post #59 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 07:31 AM

Killing time at work, since I have a "extra" few minutes, and a few extra thoughts...This is my general feeling of what seems to make something exotic, maybe not to everyone, but this to me seems to sum it up.

#1, #2, #3...Brand. No matter how "cool" something is to me it isn't exotic if it is the "wrong" brand. My brain has inherent bias, and I can't really overcome those. No matter how cool a nissan, saab (RIP), or audi is, to me they are never exotic because well, everyone you know drives one (or drove one...SAAB), their too common and there is too much brand awareness. This is also why Porsche is not exotic to me, there's just to many of them and I know tons of people that drive them, I see them everywhere everyday. This is why cost does not matter too me, expensive things can come from a "diluted" and too common brand; if something carries the "mark" of a non-exotic brand it can never rise above cool or really cool.

#4...The "it" factor...this one is highly subjective, does it do "it" for you. This has to be present for me, it is what makes me feel meeehh about so many Ferrari's now days (don't throw stones, just my perception), their bold it'ness has been stripped from most newer models (IMHO). Lambo's on the other hand have big "it" factor to me. New lotus designs, the jury is out for me on that one...On a side note because of #1-3 above, all Ferrari has to do is produce a model that has "it" again for me and that car will instantly be exotic to me.

#5...Community recognition of it'ness. How many people recognize when an elise/exige drives by, a lambo, a bugatti, etc....Now compare that to Audi, BMW, SAAB, Porsche, etc, etc....If people are unaware of something in their surroundings it becomes part of the background, by definition to me it is not exotic. This one can be somewhat region specific, but region should only have relatively minor effect on it. Also, somethings can loose their exotic status just by age, they fall off the collective mental map because other products borrow too much from their design and they are made more generic. This has happened to the Esprit to a large degree, great looking car still, but there are a lot of cars now that ripped off the "lines"... As evidence of this (albeit very subjective), I live in an area that I see a lambo nearly every day (sometimes more than one a day) and I notice it everytime and so do most other drives, however I see far fewer elises than lambo's and people notice the elise just as much if not more, and yet the lambo costs 3++++ more...The collective it'ness simply has not worn out due to very low exposure overall.

#6...Limited brand utility or availability ... This is just enhances #1-3...The elise does not fit the needs of the vast majority of drivers so they don't buy them...the extreme majority of people can't afford a ferrari so they don't buy them-Even of those that can, how many opt for an escalade, yukon, etc... This keeps the "exotic" numbers low, and most people don't "really" know what "that" car cost so they assume if they see few and it has the "look" that it carries an exotic price tag. This feeds back into #5, making the argument of somethings exotic status that much stronger.

This is how I see it...It is really a complex interplay of a lot of different things...I feel what is exotic to me....the above is simply the criteria that generally makes is exotic.

So, does it really matter if any teenager with a job can buy one...the fact of the matter is statistically none of them do....that a few have them is simply a statistical anomolly....It's about the car, not the driver.
post #60 of 177 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoup View Post
Killing time at work, since I have a "extra" few minutes, and a few extra thoughts...This is my general feeling of what seems to make something exotic, maybe not to everyone, but this to me seems to sum it up.

#1, #2, #3...Brand. No matter how "cool" something is to me it isn't exotic if it is the "wrong" brand. My brain has inherent bias, and I can't really overcome those. No matter how cool a nissan, saab (RIP), or audi is, to me they are never exotic because well, everyone you know drives one (or drove one...SAAB), their too common and there is too much brand awareness. This is also why Porsche is not exotic to me, there's just to many of them and I know tons of people that drive them, I see them everywhere everyday. This is why cost does not matter too me, expensive things can come from a "diluted" and too common brand; if something carries the "mark" of a non-exotic brand it can never rise above cool or really cool.

#4...The "it" factor...this one is highly subjective, does it do "it" for you. This has to be present for me, it is what makes me feel meeehh about so many Ferrari's now days (don't throw stones, just my perception), their bold it'ness has been stripped from most newer models (IMHO). Lambo's on the other hand have big "it" factor to me. New lotus designs, the jury is out for me on that one...On a side note because of #1-3 above, all Ferrari has to do is produce a model that has "it" again for me and that car will instantly be exotic to me.

#5...Community recognition of it'ness. How many people recognize when an elise/exige drives by, a lambo, a bugatti, etc....Now compare that to Audi, BMW, SAAB, Porsche, etc, etc....If people are unaware of something in their surroundings it becomes part of the background, by definition to me it is not exotic. This one can be somewhat region specific, but region should only have relatively minor effect on it. Also, somethings can loose their exotic status just by age, they fall off the collective mental map because other products borrow too much from their design and they are made more generic. This has happened to the Esprit to a large degree, great looking car still, but there are a lot of cars now that ripped off the "lines"... As evidence of this (albeit very subjective), I live in an area that I see a lambo nearly every day (sometimes more than one a day) and I notice it everytime and so do most other drives, however I see far fewer elises than lambo's and people notice the elise just as much if not more, and yet the lambo costs 3++++ more...The collective it'ness simply has not worn out due to very low exposure overall.

#6...Limited brand utility or availability ... This is just enhances #1-3...The elise does not fit the needs of the vast majority of drivers so they don't buy them...the extreme majority of people can't afford a ferrari so they don't buy them-Even of those that can, how many opt for an escalade, yukon, etc... This keeps the "exotic" numbers low, and most people don't "really" know what "that" car cost so they assume if they see few and it has the "look" that it carries an exotic price tag. This feeds back into #5, making the argument of somethings exotic status that much stronger.

This is how I see it...It is really a complex interplay of a lot of different things...I feel what is exotic to me....the above is simply the criteria that generally makes is exotic.

So, does it really matter if any teenager with a job can buy one...the fact of the matter is statistically none of them do....that a few have them is simply a statistical anomolly....It's about the car, not the driver.
Pretty good stuff here. I agree with a lot of it and feel the same way. But, being an Esprit owner and delusional Esprit "pimp" , In my experience in a few months of ownership and a LOT of miles, cruise-ins, a few shows, whatever, this car is still very exotic and causes a major ruckus wherever I go. Sure, the general design has been heavily borrowed from and the car isnt as known as the Italian stuff but it commands ones attention nonetheless.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in