Exotic Car Owner's Code of Conduct - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 01:00 PM

AAA had my Exige insured as a normal car but after reading a few horror stories from fellow LT members, I moved my insurance. It is now insured on an "as value" (I think that's the term) policy like the Noble. It was actually cheaper than AAA and insures the vehicle off of NADA (or KBB perhaps) values if something happens. AAA would compare the three latest sales that are comparable to determine the value. The NADA and KBB values are definitely showing that the Eliges are gaining value. Their values seem crazy considering I just bought mine in September 2013. I have a great guy in metro Detroit that specializes in this type of policy if anyone wants a referral, PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3carmonte View Post
The meaning of Elise is "My God is a vow". This is really is the core of the concept. The more I learned about Lotus and the evolution of what has become the Elise/Exige machines, truly exemplify the strive for perfection; the "vow".
I'm with you, man; but, you better lay low.

Even on THIS forum, believe it or not, we are surrounded by PHILISTINES.

Tony
Indianapolis
'10 Evora | '66 S2 Super Seven 1500 Cosworth | '99 Birkin (sold)
post #143 of 177 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Back to the Future, again

Eclipse, you have the same experience as I did.

The Noble cost me 2/3 to insure, I get more mileage out of the deal, and they also offer more amenities to boot such as roadside assistance and such.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/

post #144 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:16 PM

Garage
I try so hard but the routine and expected questions get old after a while. How fast have you gone blah blah blah. My peeve is when I am asked how much did I pay for it. I hate that question and I would love for someone here to give me a polite response to use.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #145 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOPHACK View Post
I try so hard but the routine and expected questions get old after a while. How fast have you gone blah blah blah. My peeve is when I am asked how much did I pay for it. I hate that question and I would love for someone here to give me a polite response to use.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I always answer "Corvette money." Folks seem to nod in approval of that answer, even though it doesn't really mean anything.

Tony
Indianapolis
'10 Evora | '66 S2 Super Seven 1500 Cosworth | '99 Birkin (sold)
post #146 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 05:39 PM

I hate that question too. Guess I've been lucky though. I've had many people comment that it must be expensive, but I have yet to have anyone actually come out and ask how much I paid. If asked, I'd perhaps give a general price range of what they sell for, but the actual amount that I paid is really nobody's business but my own.

-Mike
2003.5 "Final Edition" Esprit
post #147 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Monaco Dreamin'

I usually laugh it off and say "way too much". It's a relative answer that works most the time for me.

01 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6 TME
93 Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2
65 Ford Mustang 289 5spd
post #148 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:46 PM

That's a big issue I have too, but it's common is Aus for people to ask rude questions like that - how much do you earn, how much was your house, what does your car owe you etc.

I usually give people a range for the car but even that peeves me. The "too much" answer is good, I'll have to try that. Some people are that dumb that they don't get the hint though.
post #149 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 03:18 AM
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

tell them the spark plugs are $100k and they should extrapolate.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
post #150 of 177 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:42 AM

I posted a thread about this question a while back and got a lot of good answers... and some other forwards to other threads:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/r...estion-170930/

I hate the question, too... like, if you are genuinely interested in the car and appreciate it for more than a dollar amount (i.e. it's no where near the first question you ask), I probably won't mind telling you. But when someone is like "Hey, cool car! What'd it cost you?" My first thought it always "fcuk off."

You can always try the "give them a polite answer then ask how much money they make for a living" route... then it's equally awkward on both ends.

Hopefully that thread helps you, though

Last edited by derrek1280; 04-28-2014 at 07:49 AM.
post #151 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 06:57 AM

Garage
Here Are The Biggest Drawbacks of Owning an Exotic Car

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
post #152 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 07:13 AM

Garage
accurately comical...

maybe the best explanation I've ever seen in video form

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
post #153 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 08:07 AM
Vroom vroom

"And a car with 30,000 miles? That simply doesn't happen."

And this right here is how I know I picked the right car brand. Undriven cars are disgusting.

2005 CO Elise: stage II CLF exhaust, B&M shifter, 5.25"/6.5" speakers, footwell lighting, RLS side mirrors, and 2 Dartholders (caffeine injection improves performance)
Uncage your garage queen and quit being a pansy. Daily drive it!
post #154 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swic0008 View Post
"And a car with 30,000 miles? That simply doesn't happen."

And this right here is how I know I picked the right car brand. Undriven cars are disgusting.
+1

I don't understand how people can own a car and NOT drive it. I'm not saying you need to have a 100k mile Lotus... and sure, I'll bat an eye and not take the Lotus on a 500 mile trip, but if I want to drive it, I do. I drive it a few times a week, enjoy every second of it, and don't care that I'm putting a whole "3000 miles on it a year" ...
post #155 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 AM

I scanned this thread fairly quick but enough to realize many people had issues with the original post. This is surprising as it's mainly common courtesy that's being suggested. The rest of the comments seem a bit of topic. I guess my reason for comment here is just frustration for this lack of courtesy by some as well as a sincere lack of gratitude. Obviously some good stories as well!
post #156 of 177 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 12:59 PM

Truth!
post #157 of 177 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 06:57 PM
OC EVORA

Well said. I pulled into a restaurant in So Cal last weekend. Little kids were drooling. Let them each take turns behind the wheel with the engine off. Made their day. Made mine too. Parents were so thankful. Well said, sir. We are truly fortunate....

post #158 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 11:55 PM

Really this whole thread is mute;

It is a car and most of us bought it to drive it and enjoy. That is all that matters.

A ferrari to a guy who earns 10 million a year is spending heaps less of his salary on his car than I am on my Lotus. So it is all preception.

Most would love to have a lotus, but there partner want let them or they have bigger priorities like houses etc. It is all about choice!

Do you get the same questions and rules for a flashly house??

I will leave that with you guys.

PS. by the way I am always polite to people enquirying about the car
post #159 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 04:20 AM

+1
post #160 of 177 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 07:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnAir View Post
I hate that question too. Guess I've been lucky though. I've had many people comment that it must be expensive, but I have yet to have anyone actually come out and ask how much I paid. If asked, I'd perhaps give a general price range of what they sell for, but the actual amount that I paid is really nobody's business but my own.
about $42.50/pound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in