Finally found the right car and could not be happier!! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally found the right car and could not be happier!!

Well, I have been a lurker around these parts for around three and a half years now and finally pulled the damn trigger. I was originally interested in an Elise but switched my desires to the Evora S. After doing a PPI on four vehicles and being the runner up buyer on one, I finally found exactly what I wanted. This car was listed on Autotrader by a private seller (second owner) out of upstate NY with 6,150 miles. It is a 2013 Evora S and from the factory it was Aspen White with black mirrors but the second owner added vinyl wraps to imitate the classic black pack (lip is carbon fiber wrap). He also added stone guards and side scoops (with CF wrap). He added this carbon fiber look to match his carbon fiber wing/spoiler but I did not want the CF wing with the car. I LOVE the stock spoiler. The interior is black leather with red pipping and even includes the suede trim pack for the door panel and emergency brake. Pretty much everything with this car is perfect outside of a cracked A-Pillar which I knew of during the PPI and the cracked sail-fin/engine cover that I think I cracked on my second day owning the car (already emailed Charles HK about replacing both of these with carbon fiber).

I got the car on Friday and had originally been in talks with my local Benz dealership but they were hesitant to do the oil change but said they would give it a shot (no guarantees) if I supplied the filter and oil. So I called my local Toyota dealership to get the filter and next thing I knew they were setting me up with an appointment for the next day and 100% guaranteed they could do it without a problem. Once it was all said and done they only charged me around $58 in labor and took about an hour. I was extremely happy

I have an appointment scheduled this Friday with the Lotus service center in Dallas. I am going to have them change all fluids, filters, have them check both the ECU and TCU for updates and then perform a diagnostics test. Is there anything else I should have them look at? I also noticed my driver's headlight has a slight rock and after searching the forums this seems like it can be fixed by removing the wheel, a cover and adjusting two bolts.

***Deleted the part about dealership in Albuquerque New Mexico doing the extended warranty. Just got off the phone with them and they now do not want to do it since I am out of state and they no longer sell Lotus vehicles. Contacting my local Dallas and Austin dealerships now for the extended warranty. Will update later when I get more information.***

My initial plans for the car are to tint it with 3M Crystalline and replace the A-Pillars and sail-fin/engine cover with Charles HK's CF. One concern I have is that I want to do a 3M Crystalline tint on the windshield (and entire car) immediately to fight off this Texas sun from the dash/airbag BUT I am worried replacing the A-Pillars in a few weeks could mess up the tint job. Anyone with experience have an opinion on this? After this I want to weigh my options on replacing the Star Shield. It really has not began to yellow yet but it might be smart to just replace it with Xpel or SunTek before I apply a fresh black pack wrap to the car.

As the pictures show, I am currently living at an apartment with covered parking. I am sure this will bring out some haters but I bought this car to DRIVE. I doubt there will ever been a 4th owner If it helps the haters sleep at night, I also bought a California Car Cover Superweave all weather washable and a Covercraft sun blocker LOL

Mostly want to thank everyone that has ever contributed to this forum. It has proven time and time again to be a priceless resource in the Lotus community. Thank you all for being apart of this great community!

Also hoping to get my Lotus Carbon License this year in August but need to work out the logistics first. Anyone here attending in August?

Lastly, sorry for the photo quality as I had to resize them in MS Paint.
Attached Images

rb26dett, Kubera and roarf like this.

Last edited by eXilisT; 04-10-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:04 PM

Garage
Congrats! If/when I buy an Evora thats going to be the spec. Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Brandonm84, this was my top tier color combination. A British Racing Green exterior with the black leather and red pipping interior was also at the top. Best of luck on your search for the right car! I know it has been a journey for me. I have been driving a beater for almost 4 years since my SUV broke down about 6 months into my first job out of college. I have not stopped smiling since Friday around 10:30AM

Last edited by eXilisT; 04-09-2019 at 07:19 PM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:48 PM

Garage
Very nice. Several things I like better about the S than newer models.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:46 PM

Just out of curiosity how much did you negotiate on price? I’m hoping to buy a used Evora too but wasn’t sure whether the listed prices are usually firm or open to much negotiation.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@XHILR8N! - Thanks, and I totally agree!

@greginportlandor - I think the original asking price listed on Autotrader was $58,900 and the seller agreed to knock $1,000 off if I did not want the spoiler... so $57,900. We really did not have a ton of back and forth regarding the price. He said he wanted to discuss the price and I said my offer would be $55,000 given the $57,900 asking price and that is what I paid for the car. The seller was great to work with and took immaculate care of this vehicle. I actually paid my PPI guy and initiated the inspection process on 2-27-19 but weather did not permit a test drive in upstate NY until Sunday 3-24-19. So I waited almost a month to finally look at the car. I did not want to pressure the seller to test drive the car with salt and deicer on the roads. It was well worth the wait.

Last edited by eXilisT; 04-09-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXilisT View Post
My initial plans for the car are to tint it with 3M Crystalline and replace the A-Pillars and sail-fin/engine cover with Charles HK's CF. One concern I have is that I want to do a 3M Crystalline tint on the windshield (and entire car) immediately to fight off this Texas sun from the dash/airbag BUT I am worried replacing the A-Pillars in a few weeks could mess up the tint job. Anyone with experience have an opinion on this?
Beautiful Evora!
I Have 3M Crystalline 50% on all windows including the windshield. It definitely makes a dramatic difference with reducing heat coming through the cabin. It really helps during summer especially with the crap a/c. If I were to do it again I would probably do 70% on the front and 50% on the sides because the front is a little dark (unless you like the look). It's not a problem at night but I just like the vibe of a "brighter" driving experience. If you wear polarized sunglasses you will see some rainbow effect. It doesn't bother too much but I would recommend non polarized. With my setup I almost don't have to wear sunglasses unless the top is off. I probably wouldn't worry to much about the A-pillars. This stuff is pretty tough, plus you could put some masking tape in the areas you are concerned about.
Good Luck!
Attached Images

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@Crazy05 - I really appreciate the input! I was worried about the A-pillar installation being an issue. I have seen a lot of people recommend the 70 on the windshield and I am going to go with that. I think I will do the sides 40 and the back 50. Good to hear this stuff is tough because its not the cheapest! I love those photos of your Elise! The backdrop on the first picture is 10/10. Two of my buddies already asked if my roof comes off... I will say the A/C in this Evora really impressed me. It was already in the mid 90s today in Midland and it was an icebox in my car while I was cruising.
Crazy05 likes this.

2013 Lotus Evora S - 2+2 - IPS - Aspen White
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:50 AM

Garage
Congrats on the new ride! I swear I remember this car in Charlotte. Does it have Jan Speed exhaust?

2011 Lotus Evora N/A Quartz Silver
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:02 AM

Good luck with it. White w/black pack is a good look
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:29 AM

Congrats on your purchase!

I do not believe having 3M Crystalline tint installed on the windshield will have anything to do with replacing the A-Pillars with Charles HK's CF. If you take a look at this thread, it will give you an idea on the A-pillar install and how easy it is: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f41...talled-135081/

Good luck and enjoy the car!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:51 AM
Parts Finder

Garage
Congrats. Sharp looking car. Can wait to see more picks after you do your black pack and window tints.

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
62 Falcon 450hp under 2000lbs
(My first power to weight car)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:59 AM

Really nice Evora S! White looks great, and I wonder what a pearl white with medium blue interior combination would look like? (Remember a special edition of 100 early Esprit Turbos with that color scheme?) I also agree with IHXLR8 that there are several things about the S model that I like over the 400 model, and that's why I bought an S.

I am a bit confused about Crazy 05 mentioning "crap AC" ... he must be referring to a Lotus other than an Evora S, correct? When I bought my S at the very end of August, I drove for hours in the CA and AZ desert. The AC was as cold as you would want it to be, and the car never came close to overheating. The Evora S is a fantastic driver's car, and I hope you continue to enjoy your's!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:00 AM

Exclamation

BTW: in the desert it was 116 degrees!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 AM

Congrats!!! Glad it was well worth the wait. Looks beautiful. Looking forward to see the changes to come for it. Have fun and drive safe!

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@PLAY-DOH - Good memory! The first owner originally owned the car in California and then shipped it to NC when he moved across the country. I believe he did live just south of Charlotte. However, I think the car has always had a Larini Sport oval valved exhaust with the resinator delete purchased from Sector111. I absolutely LOVE the sound of this exhaust. I was lucky enough to get a large zip-lock bag with the entire service history of the car and even some customs/import documents. The invoice for the exhaust shows it was mailed to the original owners address in California, so this modification was likely done before he moved to NC.

@NumberSix - Thanks and see you around the forums!

@2011 chrome orange - Thanks for linking that post! I had seen it before but the last 5-6 months have been A LOT of research on Lotus Talk and I would have spent a while trying to find it again. Is your rear CF diffuser from Charles HK the orange example he uses on his website? Because it looks clean AF!

@Partsfinder - Thanks and I will definitely add more pics as I make changes to the car!

@Europa TC - Thank you and I have to agree that I like the lines on the S over the 400! I am about 99% sure Crazy05 was talking about the A/C in his Elise and the great benefit the Crystalline was for cooling it down. Like I said earlier in my post, I haven't stopped smiling since I got the car It is 100% a dream to drive. I read previous posts about people excited to run errands and now I am over here intentionally taking longer ways to get to my destination because I just want to keep driving.

@NoRawkus305 - Thanks, 100% worth the wait and I will definitely keep my head on a swivel... nothing but big trucks out here in West Texas!
NoRawkus305 likes this.

Last edited by eXilisT; 04-10-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXilisT View Post

@2011 chrome orange - Thanks for linking that post! I had seen it before but the last 5-6 months have been A LOT of research on Lotus Talk and I would have spent a while trying to find it again. Is your rear CF diffuser from Charles HK the orange example he uses on his website? Because it looks clean AF!
No problem. Tons of info on this forum and a GREAT group of guys/gals

Yes, mine is the CO with the CF Diffuser on Charles HK's site. I've a taken it a little farther since the diffuser and finisher though. I now also have CF GT4 wing, A-Pillars, barge boards, side scoops, front radiator vent louvers, mirrors, sail panel, engine cover, front access panel, plus the CF bits on (HethelSport) front /rear GTE bumpers.
Attached Images

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Damn.... that looks fantastic!! It really pops well with the Chrome Orange. Hopefully I can restrain myself after seeing this!!

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:08 PM

Garage
eXilisT,
I remember the gentleman from cars and coffee. I think he purchased a black pack from me but are those my rear fender decals? Carbon? They look weird and misplaced. PM me please, it should look like this.....
Attached Images

2011 Lotus Evora N/A Quartz Silver
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@PLAY-DOH - Thanks for pointing that out. PM Sent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in