Gated Shifter WIP Mod - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone, make sure to vote! Now's your chance to influence how this thing is designed https://vote.pollcode.com/38346652

Only 5 votes so far, and one of those is mine :-)

I was looking into the clearance and it looks like I should be able to extend the inner plate opening downwards a bit to the rear of the console to make some more room for that bottom screw - that's the one that bothers me the most.
Watchnerd123 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:54 PM

Garage
If screws were bottom mounted do you think we can use an adapter like this to tighten without having to remove the console to adjust?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282806445166

Also, would be nice to see pics of both examples before officially voting. I think Id like a cleaner look with bottom screws but side by side comparison may sway my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #83 of 137 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

It might, if you could find the holes and get enough torque with that - I've never used one, so I'm unsure. Sounds interesting though. My feeling is that once things are clamped down and tight, you shouldn't have to readjust it so hopefully it'd be a one-time thing.

Looking like the poll is very much skewed to the top! Very much surprised. It might be possible to offer both options - I think that might be the way to make everyone happy here. Since it's just how the holes are drilled, it shouldn't be very costly to do both, but I need to run that by Greg.

post #84 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonm84 View Post
If screws were bottom mounted do you think we can use an adapter like this to tighten without having to remove the console to adjust?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282806445166
I'm one of the beta testers for this and, in my opinion, no, this wouldn't work.

I wouldn't even want to use a power-driver on these screws (even with the final, metal version). You need to have a "feel" for putting the screws in. Plus, with the 180 driver, you'd have to pull UP on the driver to push the bit into the screws.

Maybe (and it's a big *maybe*) if the hardware was an Allen or a Torx (where the bit locks into the hardware, regardless of pressure applied).

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue (sold)
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet (sold)

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
post #85 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
I'm one of the beta testers for this and, in my opinion, no, this wouldn't work.

I wouldn't even want to use a power-driver on these screws (even with the final, metal version). You need to have a "feel" for putting the screws in. Plus, with the 180 driver, you'd have to pull UP on the driver to push the bit into the screws.

Maybe (and it's a big *maybe*) if the hardware was an Allen or a Torx (where the bit locks into the hardware, regardless of pressure applied).
I'd envisioned the final hardware being counter sunk allen head, easier to get those tight and it just feels higher quality than phillips head(unsure if we're providing the hardware at this point or not). That said, even with allen, I'm not sure if you'd be able to fish that tool through the gate opening - it's pretty tight in there, with gate diameters being 0.6'' & the neutral area height being around .75''.

Incidentally I did try out my place and tape method yesterday with the newest rev and found I got ideal placement on the first try. Of course if the plate does ever get bumped out of place it's far easier to fix with the holes on top.

This rev is looking pretty good to me - I need to get the seats back in the car(fiddling around with my harness bar), but once I do & verify that everything looks good, I'm thinking we'll be able to jump to aluminum shortly
Habious and Watchnerd123 like this.
post #86 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:50 AM

Looks great would be interested in purchasing one for sure. Keep us updated.
Varun916 likes this.
post #87 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Hey everyone -

this looks great, and obviously, I'm coming to the conversation super late. but had two questions:

1- Didn't Lotus offer a gated cover as part of the 05/06 HRM (may have acronym wrong, but the special "royalty award" package? It was a bit flimsy, and held on with 1 screw, but I recall seeing it on a red HRM Elise.

2- any thoughts on a dust cover underneath? Part of the shift boot purpose is to keep debris out of the moving parts. In the MINI Cooper world, an aftermarket provider offers a cover, to handle the short shifter, and keep dust out. So, you could build something similar under the gates. https://www.cravenspeed.com/shift-we...iABEgJSbfD_BwE

But overall - love it, count me in!

2006 Exige KoldFire270 Bought in 2010 - Sold in 2014 - Bought again in 2018
Other Toys SOLD

2006 Elise "Toothless" FIRE=TOTAL LOSS
post #88 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carphoria View Post
Hey everyone -

this looks great, and obviously, I'm coming to the conversation super late. but had two questions:

1- Didn't Lotus offer a gated cover as part of the 05/06 HRM (may have acronym wrong, but the special "royalty award" package? It was a bit flimsy, and held on with 1 screw, but I recall seeing it on a red HRM Elise.

2- any thoughts on a dust cover underneath? Part of the shift boot purpose is to keep debris out of the moving parts. In the MINI Cooper world, an aftermarket provider offers a cover, to handle the short shifter, and keep dust out. So, you could build something similar under the gates. https://www.cravenspeed.com/shift-we...iABEgJSbfD_BwE

But overall - love it, count me in!
Re 1 - I'd never heard of this, would be very curious to see what it looks like. Googling didn't give me any hits, unless this is what you were talking about? https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92...ft-gate-87477/

^also, from what I've seen thus far, the arguments in that thread against it (feeling bad, getting in the way, and gear position moving), have all been untrue. Maybe linkage movement could be an issue if this were a rock solid, zero play shifter, but the mechanisms have so much slop that I don't see this being a problem. In f act I hear that the original reason ferrari and lambo introduced gates was to rectify some of the slop in their transmissions. Our use case seems similar.

Re 2 - Pete and I have been playing around with dust covers - it's not so much debris that worries me(as it's not that difficult to raise the console every year or two and vacuum out stuff), but rather that the exposed wires and linkage don't look great. I got a large section of black vinyl that I'm planning on poking a hole through and draping over the bottom of the mechanism. The idea is that it'll run from wall to wall on the inside of the tunnel, covering everything underneath. You'd see the rod, but nothing else which I think will look nice. It'll zip tie to the rod to hold it in place. I'll try to get some photos of that tonight.
post #89 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun916 View Post
...a large section of black vinyl...
Genuine faux pleather.

The final version of the gate will also have the option to upgrade to "fine Corinthian leather".

post #90 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Re 1 - I'd never heard of this, would be very curious to see what it looks like. Googling didn't give me any hits, unless this is what you were talking about? https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92...ft-gate-87477/

^also, from what I've seen thus far, the arguments in that thread against it (feeling bad, getting in the way, and gear position moving), have all been untrue. Maybe linkage movement could be an issue if this were a rock solid, zero play shifter, but the mechanisms have so much slop that I don't see this being a problem. In f act I hear that the original reason ferrari and lambo introduced gates was to rectify some of the slop in their transmissions. Our use case seems similar.

Re 2 - Pete and I have been playing around with dust covers - it's not so much debris that worries me(as it's not that difficult to raise the console every year or two and vacuum out stuff), but rather that the exposed wires and linkage don't look great. I got a large section of black vinyl that I'm planning on poking a hole through and draping over the bottom of the mechanism. The idea is that it'll run from wall to wall on the inside of the tunnel, covering everything underneath. You'd see the rod, but nothing else which I think will look nice. It'll zip tie to the rod to hold it in place. I'll try to get some photos of that tonight.

It took me a lot of digging, but I found the car I'd seen one on, and you're 100% right.
Here's the old for sale link. Scroll through the pictures to sorta see it. I'd seen this car in person, locally, at various events. I like you're new gate a lot better. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94...0-00-a-131450/

As for the dust cover, Anything really would work. Excited to see what you come up with.

2006 Exige KoldFire270 Bought in 2010 - Sold in 2014 - Bought again in 2018
Other Toys SOLD

2006 Elise "Toothless" FIRE=TOTAL LOSS
post #91 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:47 PM

Heres what I did.
Attached Images

post #92 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carphoria View Post
It took me a lot of digging, but I found the car I'd seen one on, and you're 100% right.
Here's the old for sale link. Scroll through the pictures to sorta see it. I'd seen this car in person, locally, at various events. I like you're new gate a lot better. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94...0-00-a-131450/

As for the dust cover, Anything really would work. Excited to see what you come up with.
Cool! Yeah, I don't know if I'd call that one a gated shifter, seems like something in between
post #93 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Ok here's my attempt at hiding the wires. Note I haven't hooked up the hazard/traction control wire, but I imagine it'd be hidden by the vinyl just the same. With this, you get to see some of the linkage, while most of the other stuff remains hidden. There's a small amount of vinyl rubbing noise as you shift through the gears, but I imagine that'll be entirely hidden by engine/road noise while driving. It did not impede shifting in any way.
Attached Images

post #94 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Genuine faux pleather.

The final version of the gate will also have the option to upgrade to "fine Corinthian leather".
Can I interest you in a marketing career?
post #95 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Ok here's my attempt at hiding the wires.
Looks really nice. Using a higher quality material would likely eliminate the noise caused by the vinyl rubbing on itself.
Varun916 likes this.

2007 Exige S Phantom Black
post #96 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Am I seeing things, or is your gate metal?

post #97 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Am I seeing things, or is your gate metal?
Nah that's still plastic, just terrible lighting - you can see the 3d print marks on the sides. Don't worry I'll announce when aluminum happens :-)

I have some issues with my speaker wire routing - they're preventing the console from seating all the way so I need to fix that before I can sign off on this rev.
GregsRaceParts likes this.
post #98 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Welp, got my wire situation sorted, and discovered a couple of minor issues as the console is sitting lower now than it was before and colliding with the retainer ring when shifting to reverse. The effect is that the entire console moves a bit, which isn't a great experience. The linkage sits really close to the bottom of the plate. Should be easy to fix, but it's looking like one more rev, best to catch as many issues as we can in plastic, though I'm optimistic that this will be the last rev. I'll get it to Greg later this week.
post #99 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Oddcarnut

Recently became the owner of an 05 Elise. This thread is great. Delighted to see the thoughts and details going into the gate. Also nifty to see the AZ-1 pop into the discussion. On one of my many trips to Japan I've had the pleasure of driving one of those and a Honda Beat. The Beat is now here in SC and owned by a friend who sold the Elise to us. My wife and I would love to have the A-B-C trio to go with her 60 Mini and the Elise. For those not afflicted by the Kei car syndrome, A = Autozam AZ-1; B = Honda Beat; C = Suzuki Cappuccino.
Varun916 likes this.
post #100 of 137 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:14 AM

Garage
You've been too quiet, @Varun916 ...

2007 Exige S Phantom Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in