Geeley hires new design head for UK centre - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By XHILR8N!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:36 PM

Garage
Plays heavy metal, designs heavy cars.

A lot of life’s great things begin with fear and hope. Will deff be interesting.
Europa TC likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:04 PM

Garage
I took a look at designs with his name on them before commenting. I don't hate the look of what I see, but I think it lacks distinction. At least he appears to have avoided the worst of retreading old design cues to identify the marque instead of creating and promoting a consistent design language from this century.

That said, I suspect Geely wanted someone from the UK to allay fears of 'Chinese mass invasion' (amongst their Chinese potential consumers as much as anybody) diluting the 'britishness' of the brand and he was the highest profile UK-native car designer they could poach.

You don't see a lot of distinctive design at the price point Jaguar competes at. That said, they're don't seem to be trying to create a distinctive visual metaphor beyond poaching the wire grille from generations of Bentley Mulsannes.

I'm hoping this doesn't mean that we get bland and blobby for new Lotuses. Oh well, at least his cars aren't actually ugly...providing he didn't have anything to do with the S type, which was awful.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:53 PM

He designed the Aston Martin DB9 and Vantage according to his LinkedIn. The F-Type's portly look isn't appealing. But some people like it.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/wayne-burgess-693659137/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:09 PM

A talented artist/designer knows how to reach their target audience. I wouldn't hold too much weight on his designs for Jaguar, he would have had pressure to design for Jags base client...

Stay hopeful

'06 Stormtrooper Elise SC
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:39 PM
Supporting Vendor

The Chinese makes have been hiring away top auto design talent. I think this is good news for all of us. Geeley appear to be serious so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:09 AM

Garage
After reading an interview with Steve Crijns, I was reminded of something: Crijns is Belgian, and yet is responsible for a couple of the more distinctive and image-shifting desgins for Lotus in the last 20 years. Probably worth mentioning that the iconic Esprit is a Guigiaro design, as well.

I suspect Crijns was not on the market for Geely and is quite happy at McLaren. But I wonder if, in searching for a 'British' designer, they didn't narrow their focus too much.

In any case, Lotuses have always been svelte. Geely has made it quite clear that they want a Lotus-branded SUV to complete with Cayennes, etc. I'm not sure how you can make a svelte jacked up station wagon. Seems like Burgess may have been handed an impossible task.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:39 PM
Supporting Vendor

I'm quite optimistic. Let's glance at a project shelved from the makes of Jaguar AND Williams. Several key personnel who are now with Lotus and/or working closely with Lotus. Burgess also worked directly with Ian Callum who was head of design for the C-X75 project.

https://www.evo.co.uk/lotus/22187/lo...al-partnership

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/

https://www.just-auto.com/interview/..._id184006.aspx

Paul Newsome left Lotus Cars under Bahar and was once Director of Engineering. So many great possibilities! It's going to take time, patience, and money. All appendages are crossed! Excited for the future!

-Brian
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMS_Sales View Post
I'm quite optimistic. Let's glance at a project shelved from the makes of Jaguar AND Williams. Several key personnel who are now with Lotus and/or working closely with Lotus. Burgess also worked directly with Ian Callum who was head of design for the C-X75 project.
Yes, that does look more like something that could be a Lotus. Still not sure how to make a station wagon look like a Lotus, though.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:55 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
Yes, that does look more like something that could be a Lotus. Still not sure how to make a station wagon look like a Lotus, though.
The patent pix of the crossover look as good as the Macan. IMHO

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
The patent pix of the crossover look as good as the Macan. IMHO
No argument. But do you think about fun on that twisty canyon road when you look at a Macan?

Lotus is a minority brand with fading relevance in the marketplace worldwide. Unless it's just as good (and I admit 'as good' is a complex concept) and cheaper than a Macan, why wouldn't the customer just buy a Macan instead if they're in the market for an overpriced Audi Q5?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
No argument. But do you think about fun on that twisty canyon road when you look at a Macan?

Lotus is a minority brand with fading relevance in the marketplace worldwide. Unless it's just as good (and I admit 'as good' is a complex concept) and cheaper than a Macan, why wouldn't the customer just buy a Macan instead if they're in the market for an overpriced Audi Q5?
I do think the Macan is a sharp vehicle. Their sales figures also prove it's sharp in the eyes of their customers. If you've driven a GTS or Turbo, they can easily make you smile and they stick pretty well too. If Lotus gets the SUV right and it handles well, and build quality is improved so much that we all are blown away by it, then it should sell 'well'. A great example is the Fiat Stelvio How many of your friends own one? One maybe two? How many friends do you know with a Quadrifoglio? At $80k there's many other product they'll be cross market/price shopping. Only folks I know who own one worship Alfa and the other owner has ties to the family who owns the dealer.

My hope is that the new Lotus Utility Vehicle (LUV) will come well equipped with ample power, exceed our expectations in the handling department, and be priced below the Macan GTS. The patent drawings of the exterior and motor1 mock images look fantastic. Even the interior patent drawings look great. We have several interested in the product already and I think it will be a great asset for the brand! Fingers crossed!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:08 PM

Garage
They will cost more, I hope. For that we get more and have the exclusivity.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2016 370Z Nismo
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
They will cost more, I hope. For that we get more and have the exclusivity.

As long as we DO "get more". If the only benefit of costing more is exclusivity then Houston, we will have a problem.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa TC View Post
As long as we DO "get more". If the only benefit of costing more is exclusivity then Houston, we will have a problem.
I guess it depends. When we got the Evora I was fine to pay another 10% to never see another one like it.

2016 370Z Nismo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in