The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Getting gas in Oregon and New Jersey

3K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  sege 
#1 ·
For those that may not know, it is illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon and New Jersey. Oregon recently passed a law that you may pump your own gas under certain circumstances. Those conditions are rare as it is only in a few counties in rural areas of the state. You can also pump your own gas if you are riding a motorcycle, but the attendant has to hand you the nozzle and you must hand it back.

That said, what are your guys' experience with fueling up? Aside from the above, I have noticed there's an unwritten exception to exotics and collector cars. I've only had one guy (probably new) that wouldn't let me pump - started citing state law. I went down the road to the next station and they more than hospitable.

#2 ·
Passing through NJ recently, The attendant handed me the nozzle, he didn't want to be responsible for scratching the car.

#3 ·
It's no problem to pump your own fuel in Oregon. Simply ask the attendant. I've never had them refuse when I've asked. I had a diesel at the time but I would do the same if I had the Elise. I wash my own windows, too.
The law provides employment for the attendants and the stations charge accordingly. That isn't threatened by you doing the work.

#4 ·
In NJ, I normally let the attendant pump for my daily drivers. For my other cars, I simply get out of the car and start to remove my fuel cap. At that point they know my intention as almost no one here gets out of their car and stands by the pump while refueling. So, they either hand me the nozzle or just let me lift it to gas myself.

I've never been refused or had an attendant state anything negative about it. In fact a few attendants even dumped the nozzle in a container before handing it to me to make sure it wouldn't drip. :grin2:

#6 ·
Besides me usually forgetting I can’t do it when I’m in jersey, this is my routine and I’ve never had an issue. I don’t care about the DDs but rarely have needed to refuel one there.

#5 ·
Oregon was part of my territory when I was working. I know I-5 between Seattle and Medford far better than that road deserves. I was OK with the pump service in Oregon since it rains that crappy cold glazing drizzle ceaselessly. Their way, you stay in your car when it's raw out. I thought that was fine. I admit it somehow feels wrong to have somebody pump gas for you but when it's 42 degrees and raining, it's ok. Does take a bit longer.

I was driving mostly BMWs then but didn't feel protective enough to consider the consequences of a potentially sloppy or disenchanted person putting in the fuel. Maybe I'd feel differently now. The Lotus is my fave car ever so I'm probably more concerned about its health than mine.

#7 · (Edited)
One time in Oregon I got out and pumped gas for my Elise. The attendant looked visibly upset and mentioned the law. He did let me continue pumping though.

Another time I asked first and the attendant was friendly and let me pump the Elise by myself.

What a stupid law, IMHO.

On a somewhat related note, I have five 1:18 diecast cars on my desk at work. Over the years the cleaners have dusted them and actually broken them three times. Twice I was able to repair the broken bits that came off. The most recent case involved the little side view mirror breaking off and I guess being thrown away. I was annoyed that they would not have owned up or at least left the broken part on my desk.

Moral: Don't let people touch any stuff you value.

#12 · (Edited)
It considered a "hazardous material" and must have the proper qualifications to handle it. The qualifications include, but are not limited to:

Drug dependency
High school drop-out
Social awkwardness
Lack of motivation
No life goals

This coupled with Oregonians are naturally more flammable than residents in neighboring states. This law protects us.

#14 ·
Have lived in NJ over 30 years. Never had an issue with any car. Until 1.5 years ago gas in NJ was about the cheapest in the country, then local pols increased the gas tax and indexed it. Still relatively cheap. The only argument that had been made in favor of changing the law is that it will reduce the price $.05. it will, for about 2 weeks, and then it will go up again.

If you live in a place with freezing rain and snow possible from October through April, why would you want to get out of your car and handle a filthy smelly gas nozzle while standing in the rain?

#16 ·
I'm Forty, been driving since 16 and operating heavy equipment since I could reach the peddles. I've never encountered a "smelly gas nozzle" unless you're referring to the gas. Also, I'm in Illinois, which has some of the most unfriendly weather you can imagine. Every gas station here has an awning over the pumps, we don't get wet or snow on us. Most are actually really nice (for a gas station).

A preference to not handle a gas nozzle or experience weather is hardly a reason to deny the population of an entire state the ability to.

Reactions: FloppyKnockers
#15 ·
Yo Floppy,
Couldn't agree with you more as to the qualifications thing.

Perhaps such a "no-self pumping" diminishes the chance the person will drive off without paying?...….it does not really solve unemployment - but I'll bet the people that passed such a Law thought it would be a small step.
…..for Mankind

It was years ago in Oregon - and someone came over and stopped me from pumping my own fuel when I had no idea there was such a Law - but what I do remember was the filler nozzle had one of those extra plastic sheaths on it that serve to suction up any sort of regurgitation/overflow thereby preventing pollution/fire hazard [supposedly] ….but what such a sheath can indeed do is suck back some gas that would have gone into your tank and you pay for it but never get it. I'm sure it would not amount to much but still the thought that the pump is rigged to slightly rip you off is maddening.

#17 ·
^^^ agree. It’s the dumbing down of America.
Same as the stupid gas cans with the lock vents on them. I’m an adult, I know how to pour gas. In fact, been doing it since I was 8!
I take those nozzles an chuck them in the trash and go buy the real thing replacement from the Ace Hardware, stab a screwdriver in the back side and pour freely, the way it should be
Yes I pump my own gas and diesel here in NC and don’t mind a bit. I feel sorry for those who have legislative feet on the back of their necks

#18 ·
In WI we can pump our own gas, which is great and, yes when we had -50°F windchill last winter, it was a little brisk, but we do fine. There is one shell station that my wife loves going to as they have a big sign 'Attendant available to pump gas for women and seniors!' Very cool. I applaud them. Sadly I have to stop going there. As a dainty, feminine looking fellow (6' 230lbs shaved head) they constantly ask me if I want the attendant to pump my gas. Weird.

It's sad we need to make laws about pumping gas to try to employ the unemployable. I'm glad it is not the case here. It seems like I take a lot of special care to not hit the car with the pump when fueling the Exige.

#19 ·
OK. Fair points and I see we're not likely to agree. It's come up in the past, and not been passed by the state legislature, so it seems the majority of people here don't want it.

Maybe I've been lucky to have not had any problems - also driving since 16 - and I see that according to AAA, the average price of premium in NJ is around $3.11 and in Illinois its $3.53, so that's a meaningful difference (though it doesn't seem related to who pumps the gas, so thanks, Gummint!).

#21 ·
To me it's less about the price or the politics. The Elise is one car I refuse to let the attendant touch because of my experience with other attendants. It was this experience that I was hesitant to own this car in Portland. I had in my head I would make special trips to Washington just to get gas. In my other cars/trucks I've had attendants flop the tethered cap against the side of the fender, place the gas cap on top of the cab, and one time the dolt didn't put the nozzle in all the way and as he proceeded to walk away the nozzle popped out and the hose forced it right back against my truck denting and scraping the paint all the way down until it came to rest on the ground. They got a pretty good bill from my body shop for that one.

The 20 seconds of dirty nozzles and inclimate weather that I may subject myself to while fueling up is a small price to pay to keep simpletons from doing simpleton things around my car.

#26 ·
I just remembered another incident. I let the attendant pump my gas. He complimented the car which was nice.

However before I drove away, I got out to check if the gas cap was back in place. Of course not, it was sitting on top of the gas pump.

#27 ·
Worst part about the Portland gas station situation is how busy they are. There's usually a slight delay before someone starts pumping, but then they walk away for several minutes as if every tank needs time for thirty gallons. I'm usually there in a rental, so it's only frustrating time wise. In the Lotus, I'll stand there and hold the nozzle myself; not going to let the handle come in contact with the fiberglass.

One of my first Oregon experiences was in 1998 when they filled a one gallon gas can for me... with 1.2 gallons. Had to pay for everything on the ground! Later that month, I watched the overstretched nozzle flop out of the customer's tank in front of me with the lone attendant two lanes away.

#30 ·
I respect your constitutional right to pump your own gas :smile2:

P.S. I like to drive my own car, and don't want to get lazy, and lately, a lot of Uber and Lyft drivers have been blocking me, cruising aimlessly waiting for their next ride. I'd like your support on passing legislation creating Uber/Lyft-free lanes, as they are infringing on my enjoyment of the open road. :wink2:

#31 ·
I have had an attendant scratch the PPF in my elise trying to refuel in New Jersey, fixable with some heat but still a lesson learned. Some places have refused to let me pump my own gas, I now carry a microfiber towel to layout before I put the nozzle or let anyone else do so.

#33 ·
Yup. I used those for years on my Elise. And as an NJ resident, I always get out of the car and open the fuel cap myself, even on my old Audi, because attendants are often in a rush.... Finally, the attendants at the local station that I use know that I'm going to tip them a couple of bucks every time (my first teenage job was at a gas station, so I know it's a crappy job) and are careful with the nozzle when removing it.

#34 · (Edited)
The only place I gas in NJ is Fort Lee rte 46 on way back to dummycrat land in CT. It annoys me having to let smelly no hablas use the law against me. Reason I don't do it much anymore. COSTCO INSTATE AS CHEAP OR CHEAPER. Always felt like it was their opportunity to visually dress down the hot girlfriend / wife. Many are nice, but the others are truly deviants. There is a reason why the song, "Wind up Working in a Gas Station" exists

Other side is union elected politicians implementing bs laws to dumb things down more

Reactions: REKIII
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.