Was going to purchase a boe rear clam hinge questions before purchasing - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By indifferent
  • 1 Post By Nickshu
  • 1 Post By glb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Was going to purchase a boe rear clam hinge questions before purchasing

Hey I've had my 05 lotus Elise for 6 years now and I'm just starting to do work on it. i don't know what got into me . Had a couple questions before I buy the boe kit

1 will my aftermarket exhaust work with it (pictured I have no idea what brand it is) I guess the stock one doesn't work but I have no idea why

2 will I have to pull my hard top off every time I want to hinge my clam ?if so do they make quick release mounts for the hard top

3 is the boe the best on the market?

Thanks in advance mike
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:31 PM

1.) yes, but if the can is very large, like 7" in diameter or more it won't work perfectly. The reason for this is that the rear panel delete that comes with the kit will not clear the exhaust and thus you have to use the original panel, which just means you will have to remove the panel before hinging. However, I am pretty sure the one you have should work if it is not a stock.]

2.) Yes you will. The hard top is really easy to remove though! The reason it has to be removed is that it bolts to the roll bar cover which is that odd piece at the top of the rear clam. With a soft top, you will then have to remove two more bolts that hold the little rubber pieces the top slides into.

3.) Only one on the market, except for this: Modular Rear Clamshell Kit for Lotus Elise which is not a hinge, but still pretty easy and cost effective.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownzitto View Post
Hey I've had my 05 lotus Elise for 6 years now and I'm just starting to do work on it. i don't know what got into me . Had a couple questions before I buy the boe kit

1 will my aftermarket exhaust work with it (pictured I have no idea what brand it is) I guess the stock one doesn't work but I have no idea why

2 will I have to pull my hard top off every time I want to hinge my clam ?if so do they make quick release mounts for the hard top

3 is the boe the best on the market?

Thanks in advance mike
Hey Mike

1. You need an exhaust that exits above the diffuser

2. Yes you will need to take off the hard top each time. I'm not sure if the make quick release ones. I have an Exige and a carbon fiber roof. It only takes 4 bolts to remove my roof.

3. I'm not sure if BOE is the best. It is functional that's for sure. I've heard of a member making a kit in Australia but I don't think he makes them anymore.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:46 PM

1.) below the diffuser does work...99% sure...however, I think you have the 'top speed' exhaust which sticks out pretty far, so you may have clearance issues when fully opened. Talk to phil at BOE....he answers pretty quick usually
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thankyou so much you saved me such a hassle. Love the accessibility and looks of it but I'm not about to buy a different exhaust
Thanks again
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:50 PM

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry indifferent just saw your post I'll have to reach out to him. If I can keep my exhaust and it still work properly I'm back in the game lol
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 01:05 PM

Again, if the rear panel delete will work, then 99% sure the whole setup will work. Otherwise another 5 minutes of work each time...if you are not building a show car where you want to show off the engine, then do it. I like mine (didn't like the price), but overall it is has saved me a hundred hours by now.
Brownzitto likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
I bought the rear panel delete diffuser brace from BOE alone. (Not with the Clam hinge). I decided not to install it because I did not like the esthetics of how far inwards it mounts, basically right against the back surface of the muffler (Silent touch). It's a VERY nice piece, very well made and solid and I liked how it spreads out wide to the sides of the diffuser compared to the other braces out there but it's designed to work with the clam hinge which to me makes it's positioning a bit of a compromise. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Brownzitto likes this.

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just an update bought the boe kit awhile ago but just put it on. Everything worked perfect!!!! The exhaust worked well also the muffler is alittle close but works thanks for the he help guys !!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:10 PM

My kits been sitting around since November, just waiting to get a bit warmer! I like the stock rear panel look and I wonder if there's a way to keep that?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 03:06 PM
glb

My car is at BOE now.

As I understand it from Andrew, the stock panel must be removed to tilt clam.

3 bolts thru bottom of boot, 2 or 3 in sides of panel from clam.

Is "Titled Clam" the name of the bar on "Family Guy"?

(no)
darkSol likes this.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You would be correct!!! thought I liked the stock better too untill I installed the new boe one then I changed my mind
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:35 PM

Has anyone with a Larini Group B silencer installed the BOE clam hinge? It exits below the diffuser. In the worst case, I just use the original panel and have to remove that before hinging?

Thanks for any insights!

1974 Europa Twin Cam (gone but not forgotten)
1971 Europa S2 (owned but two months; flipped to raise funds to fill gap in college tuition)
35 years of restraint (including an Odyssey with 13 cupholders)
2005 Elise (magnetic blue), starshield, chin guards, Penske nonajustable shocks (BWR), Mishimoto sandwich plate, AEM oil temp and pressure gauges, third brake light flasher, Larini Group B silencer, Sector 111 DSBrace
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:36 AM

I have the Larini Group B and Boe clam hinge. You HAVE to use the stock rear panel, there is not enough clearance between the Boe panel delete and the Group B.
The clam hinge work just fine, but you need to remove defuser and rear panel before you open up the clam.

Boe REV 300 Supercharger.
Boe DMC Ultimate header.
Boe Clam Hinge.
Boe Pro Alloy Radiator.
Boe TOC wet sump oil pan.
Boe Fuel surge tank.
Boe Oil catch can.
Boe HP fixed rotors with Ferodo DS 2500 pads.
BWR Larini Group B Muffler.
BWR Street/Track Anti roll bar.
Mocal rear mounted oil cooler.
V2 steering arms,
Nitron Singles 425/550.
InoKinetic DS rear toe links.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:09 AM

Thank you sir! Anything that allows me to not have to remove the seats is an immense improvement.

1971 Europa S2 (owned but two months; flipped to raise funds to fill gap in college tuition)
2005 Elise (magnetic blue), starshield, chin guards, Penske nonajustable shocks (BWR), Mishimoto sandwich plate, AEM oil temp and pressure gauges, third brake light flasher, Larini Group B silencer, Sector 111 DSBrace
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:28 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Michael View Post
Thank you sir! Anything that allows me to not have to remove the seats is an immense improvement.
You can make some adjustments and not have to remove the seats going forward even without the BOE hinge, though the hinge is better than completely removing the clam all the time.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
You can make some adjustments and not have to remove the seats going forward even without the BOE hinge, though the hinge is better than completely removing the clam all the time.

Thank you LostPawn. I am looking as well at the Radium kit. Seems a lot less fussy and only marginally more time to gain access to the engine bay. No wow factor, but that's not important to me. Pulling clam completely poses risks I am sure in terms of possible damage to it, but I expect my kids (twins) would be on board to help with the actual lifting, and it will be maybe a twice-a-year event. Only concern I have on the Radium is how well the body lines will line up. Glen ("Nein Kinder!") chose the Radium, which I put a lot of stock in. Have you chosen one of those options?

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:47 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Michael View Post
Thank you LostPawn. I am looking as well at the Radium kit. Seems a lot less fussy and only marginally more time to gain access to the engine bay. No wow factor, but that's not important to me. Pulling clam completely poses risks I am sure in terms of possible damage to it, but I expect my kids (twins) would be on board to help with the actual lifting, and it will be maybe a twice-a-year event. Only concern I have on the Radium is how well the body lines will line up. Glen ("Nein Kinder!") chose the Radium, which I put a lot of stock in. Have you chosen one of those options?
I have the Radium kit and it does make removal easy, still a two person job though. I chose that kit because I have yet to relocate the battery and have GRP's frame mounted wing that comes out behind the clam instead of through it. At some point I do plan to change to a more normal mounted wing and going with the clam hinge as it would make things that much easier and I wouldn't always have to find a place for the clam to sit while I work on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in