GoPro harness bar mounting - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

GoPro harness bar mounting

Hey guys I have my first track event coming up and I haven't really played with mounting my Gopro on the harness bar. Do you guys have any suggestions on getting it mounted stiff and in a good viewing position? Not sure he reg go pro mount is good enough?

Thanks!
Chris

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

DIY 2007 Exige S K20A2 C38 Rotrex

Www.onetonracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM

Here is a recent thread that touch on some of the mount options:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...-mount-143345/
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiged View Post
Hey guys I have my first track event coming up and I haven't really played with mounting my Gopro on the harness bar. Do you guys have any suggestions on getting it mounted stiff and in a good viewing position? Not sure he reg go pro mount is good enough?

Thanks!
Chris

It isn't. It's too wobbly. Use a

and a gopro tripod mount.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...5/#post2078601

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM

The GoPro suction cups work great on the outside. I used their adhesive mounts on the dash, back window and splitter.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
The GoPro suction cups work great on the outside. I used their adhesive mounts on the dash, back window and splitter.
I found the oem gopro suction mount very wobbly. I instead use a 4.5" aluminum suction cup and then I use the clamp on that. Or I use my suction cup tripod, but that's overkill for most applications.

I like the adhesive mounts only if I can screw the camera directly to them. If I have to use any of the plastic extension or 90 degree elbows, it goes to shaky wobbly again.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Mulholland>SCC

I use the clamp metrocube linked to above. Make sure you change the settings on the gopro to spot metering (I think) if you are using on the harness bar or you will have lots of glare and a crappy video. When I installed it, I needed a shim between the stud supplied with the clamp and the camera and a credit card with hole punched through worked for me. I can't remember if I bought the short stud or not...

Looked thru my history, I did buy the short stud...

Toys-
07 Lotus Exige S Chrome Orange
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250

Last edited by agirls; 06-26-2013 at 01:05 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I got the setup just posted above. I need to play with it to get all the settings correct. Any input is appreciated!

Www.onetonracing.com
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 AM

Exiged- What will your setup be? If you are running with a top on, go to spot meter mode (otherwise anything outside the car will be washed out/overexposed). For the GoPro3 Black Edition, like to use 1080/60fps with the medium wide field of view (FOV). While the GroPro3 has a slightly nicer mic than the GroPro2, still rather use an external mic, one with a cable long enough to put on the back shelf, near the drive side (picks up the open intake).
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Hero3 black edition with hardtop on. Car is high power and rather loud with the Rotrex setup, wastegate etc.

Www.onetonracing.com
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

It will be harness bar mount in the middle

Www.onetonracing.com
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 AM

Then the suggestions I made will apply. If you went with the Manfrotto clap mount you can play around with the height, like to rotate mine around so it’s a bit more forward an on the low side.

While the harness bar is the default setting pretty much always used, also have an older GoPro2 that I like to get different point of views (POV). Even if you only have one camera might want to try some other POV for at least one session during the day. Have a fixed front tow hook that I’ll us a clamp, or suction cup off the rear glass, also use a “blank” rear license plate that I’d use a stick on mount point, all add some nice POV and will give you some varied footage.

Last edited by LarryB; 06-27-2013 at 08:30 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Tire abuser

Garage
I have a nice, solid harness bar mount but that location does not work well for me. I tend to lean into the corners so my fat head covers too much of the camera in right hand corners, even with a tight harness. I have tried different heights with no luck so I just suction cup the camera to the back window near where the passenger's head would be. This does not work if you have an instructor.

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 PM

I have the manfroto clamp as well and it is solid. However as mentioned above being 6'3" my head and shoulders can get in the way occasionally.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 PM

I also have a panavise 809 and here it is holding a camcorder to the side plate of my APR wing. Video came out terrible, but it held for the hour+ drive.

Why Not To Put A Camera On A Wing - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in