Has anyone gone from an Exige S to an Evora S? Considering it. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shinoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone gone from an Exige S to an Evora S? Considering it.

I have a 2008 Exige S240 which I love when I get it in it and drive it, the joy I get it from driving it feels like nothing else I have test driven or tried on the road. Truly seems like a special car and nothing else is for sale out there like it.

But, I dread driving it sometimes, in Los Angeles the traffic is so bad and some of our roads aren't great along with very steep drive ways so I end up driving it very rarely. I think I also have the "bug" that I need to get something new since I've owned this for 3+ years. I kind of want something that's a bit more "livable" and I could drive more often but still get that "special" feeling that I get from my Exige S240. I'm considering the M2 Competition which seems to be one of the best "feeling" cars out there right now but I'm also thinking maybe I should consider the Evora S as well.

Has anyone switched from Exige S to an Evora S? If so how would you describe the difference/feeling between them? Also any thoughts to maintenance on the Evora S? I'd unfortunately probably go for the automatic due to Los Angeles traffic but the maintenance on the Evora seems a bit more than the Exige? I've honestly not had to do any major maintenance on the Exige except resealing my oil pan which was probably the worst "maintenance" I had to do but did it as preventative when my mechanic noticed some small residue.

Evora 400 speaks to me as well but that's still 75-80k and for that money I'd probably go Porsche but 60k or less the Evora S seems like a good consideration along with the M2 Competition.

2008 Exige S240; Craftsquare c/f Mirrors, Difflow Railer Jr Diffuser, RLS c/f end plates, Sector 111 carbon front lip, Sector 111 Harness Bar, Sector 111 Fire Extinguisher Bracket w/Haloton Extinguisher, CF Shifter Tunner, CF door panels, Radium Dual Oil Catch Cans, Radium Intercooler Silicon hoses and clamps, Sport Cat, Ohlins Sports Coilovers, Larini SC Sport Exhaust, Reverie CF Sideskirts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

The Evora is much more liveable but is not as responsive as the Exige. The 111 platform is just way ahead in fun to drive. The IPS Evora is totally easier to live with in LA. Even the front spoiler has good clearance. I would choose the Evora over any BMW/Porsche if driving feel is important.

Maintenance is similar though brakes don't last quite as long on the heavier Evora.

I suggest you keep the Exige for fun weekends and get a cheap daily driver...
Varun916 likes this.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 AM

I think you have to drive one yourself to see what you think

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:49 AM

I don't have an S but do have a NA Evora so I'll throw my 2 cents in. Like Shinoo stated, the 111 platform is way more fun (is that proper English??) to drive when comparing the two. I'm going to use the old cliche...it's just pure and raw. I don't have to tell you that!

That's not by any stretch saying the Evora is bad...couldn't be farther from the truth. I love driving the Evora as well. I still get the "Lotus benefits" like great handling, exclusivity plus creature comforts! I take mine on at least 4-5 road trips (3hr each way) to our place at Lake Chelan in the summer. I get the joy of driving it over 2 mountain passes, Snoqualmie and Blewett. Its handles awesome on the mountain curves and I can literally stretch back, listen to music have AC blowing and talking to the wife. I've done the same trip quite a few times over the years in the Elise, though of course fun, now having the Evora....4 out of 5 times, I'm grabbing the Evora keys for the trip. Also if I have to make a commute to the office or know I have to deal with traffic...I'm taking the Evora as well.

Power comparisons, my Elise is making the same power as the S240 for reference. My wife and I go on drives together through the mountains when the weather is nice. She takes the Evora and I the Elise. For a straight line comparison, lining up on the freeway, slowing down to 50, if she hammers it, the Evora pulls away every time and I have to wring out the Elise to catch up and pass. I could only imagine that gap widens with the better torque of the S models. When I first got the Evora with it being heavier and not much more power over my Elise, I thought it would be slower...it isn't. For my case they are on par with one another.

You really need to go out and test drive one, I think you would be happy with what you would find. To me either one is a win-win.

2005 Elise- Katana II S/C with other fun bits
2011 Evora NA - Daily Driver
2014 Acura MDX aka The Family Wagon

Last edited by Mobius97; 02-26-2019 at 11:55 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:33 PM

I have both an Elise and an Evora S. The Elise is supercharged and has Nitron shocks, so Iím assuming itís similar to an Exige. The Elise is both a track and street car. Until recently my regular street car was a 2001 BMW M3. When I decided to replace the M3 I drove a new M2 (non-competition). I was disappointed ó it did not have the visceral feel of the old M3.

Then I drove the Evora. I love it. It has a similar design to the Elise ó mid-engine, aluminum chassis, composite body. But itís 1100 pounds heavier, so it does not really feel like an Elise. It may be as close as you can get in a bigger, more comfortable street car. So I like both cars, but I would hate to give up the Elise. On the other hand, if I had a track-prepared Evora...

Matthew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in