Hate my Lotus! - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 PM

Compared to a Lotus, just about every car is going to feel "big, heavy and blah" as you put it. But the the M cars are still marvelous machines. Personally, I think the E36 generation M3 (late 90s) were the best balanced M cars and the most fun to drive, and that's why I've owned two of them--a 97 estoril blue sedan and a 99 techno violet convertible.

The last generation E46 M3s were definitely a bit quicker, but felt much more bloated around the corners and just not as inspiring to drive. If you are willing to drive a car with some mileage on it, there are amazing deals to be had out there right now on E36 M3s.

But I also agree with what someone else said above: The new M roadster is a really nice ride. I was very impressed with that car. But I can't get one since I need at least one car with back seats to haul my kids around! That's the other thing I love about M3s; they are the most practical sports car on the planet. My kids love my purple 99 M3 convertible. I don't think they'll ever let me sell it. (I wanted a purple Elise to match it but could not find one when I was buying!)

2005 Lotus Elise (ardent red on black / touring & sport packs)
2012 Mini John Cooper Works (black/red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

True. The Ms are very versatile cars. Even the cab offers fun on the track and I can fit my 2 kids! I am probably going to pull the trigger on the M3...But keeping the Lotus!
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:57 AM

After reading all the weight posts...Wow..lots of heavy drivers...

Love the Elise, great DD car for one or two.... What about a 911/993/996 convertible?

2006 Chili Red / Touring / LSD / TC / Forged Wheels / Hard & Soft Top / Lifestyle Paint / Desnorkeled / Odyssey Battery / Sector 111 Extinguisher Bracket / Sector 111 LidBone / CF Splitter / CF Bits / Lotus Stage 2 / Pure X
C3 Corvette 383 TPI Stroker 6.3 liters of Torque / 2012 Evo X MR Pure Magic / 2006 Cayman S Remus Exhaust Desnorkeled / 2006 Cayenne S on 20's slotted and drilled rotors ceramic pads http://www.photobucket.com/mygarage

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 AM

S2000, good power, good handling, civilized and cheap. I had a M3 sedan and I loved that but never cared for the M3 convertibles. They are a bit heavy as it is and the vert version really makes it too much. I think the E46 M3 convertible is pushing 3500 lbs easily.

07 Porsche 911 GT3
10 BMW M3
03 BMW 330i ZHP
06 Canyon Red Elise- Katana SC (sold)
06 LRG Elise- (sold)
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
Compared to a Lotus, just about every car is going to feel "big, heavy and blah" as you put it. But the the M cars are still marvelous machines. Personally, I think the E36 generation M3 (late 90s) were the best balanced M cars and the most fun to drive, and that's why I've owned two of them--a 97 estoril blue sedan and a 99 techno violet convertible.
Finally - someone else who "gets" the M-cars!

And techno violet!

torque (trk) n. - an excuse for the lack of momentum.
- let's bring back CanAm & Group B!
- have you hugged your Exige today?
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:29 AM

I actually find myself driving the lotus less and am admiring my 2000 s52 bmw mcoupe more and more each month. I live in LA, and the lotus seems to get louder and louder and harder to park and get in and out of. I still love to drive it, but now the mcoupe seems to be more charming, believe it or not... lots of torque, lots of crazzy tailout shenanigans...and nobody knows what it is. I actually feel kind of bad about this. Plus, I start thinking about wearing out my a-o48s, so the lotus sits more...nothing a good track day can't take care of though.

I do agree the larger m cars are too luxury now, maybe the 135i..

vasracer
2006 Elise, Canyon Red, Sport/Touring, RTD brace, ss lines, Larini 8 inch, sport ECU, darthholder.
2009 Lexus RX 350
2009 Audi S5
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 AM

Don't drive a Lotus 7 or derivative. Anything else street legal feels like herding a pig afterwards.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe View Post
So I have decided to get a convertible for daily use. I have my heart set on a beautiful M3 cab in perfect condition. So I went to test drive one with all the expections that come with it...Came out completely unimpressed. Felt big, heavy and blah for lack of better words.

I climb in the Lotus and I am smiling again! This car is ruining it for me...

I am going back in a few days but driving my other car before test driving the M3 again.
I want to agree, but can't. The 335i turbo convertible we bought for my wife this year with turbo tuner and eisenhaus exhaust is a thrilling and great car. I prefer the Lotus most days, but I am not complaining when I have to drive her car to work that's for sure.

AttAkker
-------------------------------------------
2004 Noble M12 GTO3R, 1990 Ferrari 348 TS, 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, 2006 Porsche Carrera S
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:15 AM

Will be crossing the 160K on my 95 Daytona Violet M3 this next week as we are expecting 1-3" inches of snow today and just dropped off my Elise for winter storage this noon.

I mostly drive the M3 with Blizzaks these days, but I agree my Elise ruined the driving experience for me. I had such a great time for the first first 150K miles and now it just seems like another car. The engine sure still runs and sounds great though.

2005 Ardent Red Elise - former owner
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 PM

I have an M3 conv for exactly the purpose you state. The whole family can get in for a nice drive. Hard to do in an Elise or Exige.

My car both sucks and blows.

Now with added all natural smoky goodness!
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 01:54 PM

Don't know how much room you need, but our "big" car is a new Cooper S. My wife says it is her favorite car of all time and she has had some nice ones. Just sold a BMW 540i, for example. We only have two cars and two motorcycles. Works for us.

When I am in the Mini, I am still having fun and the longer we have it, the more "normal" it seems in size.

I also loved the late 90's M3's. Just bought the 540 because the finish on them was much nicer than the 3 series back then. Now, I would look closely at the 1 series. The 3's have gotten too big.

2006 Elise, Graphite Grey/Red leather, Sport Elise Suspension, Cup airbox, ECU ref lash, MonoBalls, etc. etc.
1992 900SS Ducati Race Spec Built by Ferracci
2006 KTM 950 SuperMoto, a work in progress

Old stuff gone: Ferrari 275GTB/4, '69 1275 Cooper S. '72 500 Fiat, old Jags, etc. Never bought a boring car.
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilteq View Post
Don't drive a Lotus 7 or derivative. Anything else street legal feels like herding a pig afterwards.
Im really worried... The car I intend to get in about 2 years is a lightly used 245hp variant of an Ariel Atom if I can still get it street-tagged. That might make the Elise feel like the bloated land barge...

2005 Elise Ardent Red/Black LSS, TP, HT, (Rip 7/25/14. Killed by a deer)
Knoxville, TN. Surrounded by:
Deal's Gap (318 curves in 11 miles)
Cherohala Skyway (45miles of sweeping mountain curves)
Devil's Triangle (Deal's Gap but with more attitude)
...and of course, the Great Smokey Mountains Parks!

Welcome to Elise Country
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:56 PM
glb

When I had both my Elan and original 7 (and both were running), I almost always took the Elan.

Wind buffeting @ >60 mph in 7 was tough. My glasses used to lift off my face. If I put the side curtains on, side vision was blocked too much. (I eventually figured out how to reduce the buffeting, but then got rid of the car.)

At about 100 mph, 7 got sorta slow due to rotten aerodynamics.

Elan was faster in a straight line, more comfy and had a trunk.

But, boy, could that 7 go around turns. Plus, it was my wife's all-time fav car of mine.

The Atom must be a blast to drive, but personally I don't want to wear a helmet unless I'm on the track. (Or if my now-ex wife is within 100' of me....)

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 04:13 PM

My last car was a Lotus 7 clone (Birkin) with 179 hp at the rear wheels and only 1250 pounds. Yes, it was windy and deafeningly loud. But it was the most fun car I have ever had. I should have kept it. On the other hand, my Elise is far more civilized and I am enjoying it.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 06:59 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilteq View Post
My last car was a Lotus 7 clone (Birkin) with 179 hp at the rear wheels and only 1250 pounds. Yes, it was windy and deafeningly loud. But it was the most fun car I have ever had. I should have kept it. On the other hand, my Elise is far more civilized and I am enjoying it.
I know what you mean. 7s are incredible fun. A friend built a 300 hp rotary DSK variant; v fast.

Our perspectives are different from many others. You and I see the Elise as "civilized" because of what we had been used to. Others would see the Elise as too bare-bones & stark. Frankly, I'm amazed to have a/c in a sports car.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Rom

The Evo is still fun to drive after the Elise... Still feels heavier, but it has amazing grip that defies physics, so it's a lot of fun! Since the AWD is rear biased you can even get the car a little sideways whilst staying in complete control - lots of fun too. The almost-300BHP is ample power, but easily upgradeable to almost 400BHP for very little money. The UK versions have up to 366BHP stock (FQ360 - 0-60 in 4.1secs), and use the same engine parts with a different tune...

Then it also fits the stroller, has back seats, is 4 door and even has the LATCH system for baby seats! Very family friendly, and I believe has lots more room than any BMW 3-series

Thanks!

Rom.

PS - my Elise is still the daily driver though... Haven't even driven the Porsche in 2 months!

Lotus Elise Series-2 - US Spec: SSR Comps, PES ECU Remap, F5 Fujita Induction, Larini SE Exhaust (Euro-style), S111 re-Enforcer, Schroth 6-point harness, S111 Harness bar
Mitsubishi Evolution IX MR SE: RRE Custom Straight Through Exhaust, RRE Custom Downpipe, Kelford 272 Cams, SuperTech Dual Springs, RC 1200cc injectors, Synapse DV, SE High-Flow Intake, Walbro 416LPH Fuel Pump, Tactrix 3-port BCS, Dual-Map E85 tune - 450WHP
Porsche Boxster: Stock.
Lotus Elise Series-1 - UK Spec: Stock. (sold)
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 03:53 PM

I totally understand. After driving my M5, I get back into the Elise and wonder who stole its motor? and why is this thing riding so bad? I turn up the radio to drown out all the rattles, but unlike the M5 - someone stole its radio too! But with the roof out, it almost stops ratteling! So I go find a racetrack to have some fun, but I keep getting blue flagged to get out of the way of all those M5's. I'm sorry, you said something about the kids - better go get the M5! (yeah, yeah... the M5 has a sun roof) I hate mine too!!!

Current car list:06 BMW M5 with Schnitzer & Dinan mods. 05 Elise soon with a turbo, highly modded. 99 Sport 190 - best fun ever! 90 Nissan show & go car - 589rwhp+ 06 Ford F-250 hauler/Monster truck. 97 Esprit V8, nicer than new - with Mahle pistons. 04Esprit V8 "final run" - will return better than ever!!
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 08:04 PM

It is simply not fair to compare. You wanted a vert to cruise with your family, then get one. And a M3 vert is a very good choice. But don't expect one to handle like an Elise because it is never going to happen.

05 Elise (RIP)
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Rom

Drove the Porsche today... Felt weird! The steering wheel is too large, the engine is too quiet, the acceleration is too slow, the suspension is too soft... but the heaters are MUCH better!!

Thanks!

Rom.

Lotus Elise Series-2 - US Spec: SSR Comps, PES ECU Remap, F5 Fujita Induction, Larini SE Exhaust (Euro-style), S111 re-Enforcer, Schroth 6-point harness, S111 Harness bar
Mitsubishi Evolution IX MR SE: RRE Custom Straight Through Exhaust, RRE Custom Downpipe, Kelford 272 Cams, SuperTech Dual Springs, RC 1200cc injectors, Synapse DV, SE High-Flow Intake, Walbro 416LPH Fuel Pump, Tactrix 3-port BCS, Dual-Map E85 tune - 450WHP
Porsche Boxster: Stock.
Lotus Elise Series-1 - UK Spec: Stock. (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in