Having an Elise in Michigan - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:37 PM

I live in the Rochester area and use my Elise on a regular basis commuting to work in Southfield during the summer months. The car has the sport suspension and it has not been hard to find the roads that are reasonable enough to enjoy the car. Once the freeze-thaw cycles are over and pot hole season is over the patched up areas can be a bit rough but like the others have said, you can navigate around the bad spots. There are some really nice drives up the west coast especially in the Traverse area along with the others drives that that the others have already mentioned. I have never regretted purchasing the car and driving it in MI because the enjoyment that comes with owning the car far exceeds the negatives with the roads.

You only live once....

06 Lotus Elise: Ardent Red, Sport+Touring, ShiftR111, S111 TransCables, LETSLA, Driving lights
02 Honda S2000: Spa yellow, Berk Hi-flow Cat, Alpine head unit, Focal speakers
09 Honda Civic EX Coupe: Stock winter bomber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 04:32 AM

I live in the mountains of VA now but I'm originally from Cleveland. On a recent visit to Cleveland in my Abarth I quickly concluded that if I had to move there I would be forced to sell both the Abarth and the Elise. The roads are just too crappy. I would get a Challenger with Scat Pack and just enjoy the torque!

"It corners like a housefly!"

05 Lotus Elise
13 Fiat Abarth
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 AM

If you do buy one you'll find out quickly if you have any fillings that are loose.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:19 AM

So, why would an Elise with proper suspension setup be any worse than any other car dealing with Michigan potholes?

"In general, the Elise will be kept in best operating condition by regular use."
Page 152 Lotus Elise owner's manual
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:57 AM

I know our new governor made a big deal about fixing the roads, but I feel like Michigan's roads have actually gotten better in the past 5 years.

That being said, I've owned an Elise for 10 years in south east Michigan and it's fine. An Elise is no different than many other sports cars on Michigan roads. Would a Buick LeSabre ride more smoothly? Of course. But why drive a Buick if what you really like is small, lightweight sports cars?

You end up driving it not unlike a motorcycle. You pay attention. You drive defensively. Stop and go traffic on a four lane highway sucks, but you completely forget about that when you hit the cloverleaf off ramp. And on those glorious summer days when you can actually take her out on the back roads and just drive? Oh my those are special.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:59 AM

Well I'm in the boston area, not even northern new england and I pick the roads I drive on, and when I'm on the wrong roads I don't really enjoy the car, and I've hit dips and pot holes in the road deep enough to lightly scrape the bottom of the car. So I'd say Boston area roads are about the limit.
I would imagine it might be hard to enjoy the car if the roads are anything like pictured above. Can I suggest building a Safari style 911. They're a silly hipster driven trend but would actually work well in Michigan

I would be curious to see someone do a rally Elise, looks like it's been done:

Honestly it would probably be more fun in that environment
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:30 PM

Hello there,

I'm from Bloomfield Hills and have had my '05 since 2013. For my first two years my car had a dual role: track day fun car and also fair weather toy. Since then it has transformed into a dedicated race car. Call me biased, but I love the platform. There is nothing else that can duplicate the incredible man and machine union for the price. I've instructed for NASA for many years and the only cars that have put the same grin on my face are the S2000 and Porsche GT3.

While you can see I am enthusiastic about the car, you really do need a place to play with it if you're not going to participate in track events. Yes, the car is pretty fast in a straight line, but nothing like the brute force experienced with many of the V8 pony cars out there on the market. HOWEVER, the other side of me says that you should buy one. V8 pony cars are everywhere and there really is nothing special about them. Whoop dee doo, there's another Mustang, Cayman, Corvette... WHO CARES?!

One of my favorite parts about owning the Elise early on, was that it really gets people talking. These days, a lot of people don't know what the hell it is. Attracts A LOT of attention, and it's a really great opportunity to make some new friends. Being different is a good thing

Living in southeast Michigan, everyone knows the roads are boring and I don't think you'd get as much enjoyment compared to someone that lived on the west side of the state or up in the Traverse City area.

Of course, the solution to all of this is to move and relocate to somewhere around the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee.
MoBoost, Motard and ratcat like this.

2005 Lotus Elise, naturally aspirated and always at redline!
2018 NASA Great Lakes Region TT4 Champion
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:31 PM

I'm in Traverse City, so surrounded by great, winding, elevation changing roads; I regularly run her up to arrestable speeds, and will continue to until I can't lever myself in and out of the little bomb. Given i agree with you on our ****ty roads, I would recommend a suspension change to a set of Quantum Zero shocks/springs , from eliseparts.com. They transformed my car! I had run both the stock Bilsteins, and the track pack Bilsteins, and both felt like I was running wooden tires; super harsh, banging on our ****ty roads. The Zero's have a considerably higher spring rate, and yet cope with bumps, etc. as if they are almost not there; I can't say enough about how much better the car feels. The guy who builds them clearly knows what he is doing. Why miss out on what I think is the coolest car under $200K, just because our State leaders can't figure out how to maintain our roads?
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:32 PM

Having an Elise in Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaising View Post
So, why would an Elise with proper suspension setup be any worse than any other car dealing with Michigan potholes?
Short wheelbase, low ride height, and short suspension travel.

Plus seats that are not very padded and very lightweight that transmit chassis info very effectively.

Add a propensity to creak and rattle, and little sound dampening, and itís not the best time.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:14 PM

I have an S2 02 Elise here in Victoria Australia (Maryborough) Generally the roads are very good. The authorities (Vicroads) spend a lot of money maintaining roads and are forever resealing long stretches. Some roads are pristine as in dead flat with nary a bump. But there are a few roads around here that have repairs and believe me the Elise feels every small dip. My answer to you would be definitely not. You will feel every pothole. The suspension on an Elise is very hard and if you hit a really hard pothole it jars your spine. Sorry to tell you this. Unless you are going to use it as a track car that would be a different story. Some roads I have to slow down to ten KM/H. Maybe take one for a test drive first. Having said all that. I have loved every second of owning my Elise for the last five years - Owning an Elise is nothing like you could imagine especially if you like attention!
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:52 PM

Owning an elise is a two-way door - you can get one, see if it works out, and as others have mentioned, sell it again for what you paid if you end up not liking it. But you only live once, and if it is your dream to own one, and you spend precious years questioning what it would have been like to own one, that seems so much worse to me.

The risk of owning one and not liking it is low, and the risk of never owning one and regretting it seems high to me, in your situation :-)
glb likes this.
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:43 PM

serious/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaising View Post
Are you serious? I drive a Mercedes ML350 and my 02 S2 Elise. My whole body gets shattered when I hit a bump in the Elise. In the ML? Nothing.
Motard likes this.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:31 PM

Itís possible to be careful and not damage anything. The car is small and nimble enough to dart around the bad spots and not even leave your lane. But you do need to be cautious in the spring until the freeze thaw cycle is done and the worst holes are fixed... after that I donít really think about it but most of the driving I do is on pretty decent roads.
Sure itís fun to be on twisty roads in NW Michigan, but heck, I enjoy just driving it a mile to pick up a pizza.
countryboyshane likes this.

Ken-Farmington Hills, MI
2005 Lotus Elise
2012 Mazda Miata
1957 MGA Coupe
1948 MG TC
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrev View Post
I'm in Traverse City, so surrounded by great, winding, elevation changing roads; I regularly run her up to arrestable speeds, and will continue to until I can't lever myself in and out of the little bomb. Given i agree with you on our ****ty roads, I would recommend a suspension change to a set of Quantum Zero shocks/springs , from eliseparts.com. They transformed my car! I had run both the stock Bilsteins, and the track pack Bilsteins, and both felt like I was running wooden tires; super harsh, banging on our ****ty roads. The Zero's have a considerably higher spring rate, and yet cope with bumps, etc. as if they are almost not there; I can't say enough about how much better the car feels. The guy who builds them clearly knows what he is doing. Why miss out on what I think is the coolest car under $200K, just because our State leaders can't figure out how to maintain our roads?
Have to agree that shocks are the best upgrade for this car. I've heard supercharging is also mindblowing, but I won't take that drug!

2005 Lotus Elise, naturally aspirated and always at redline!
2018 NASA Great Lakes Region TT4 Champion
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:57 AM

I'll put in my two cents, I've lived in Michigan for 3.5 years now and yeah, the roads are not great. at least in the greater Detroit area. I picked up an elise at the end of last summer and I love driving it. despite the potholes. It's kind of like a motorcycle where you have to always be watching for them. I haven't had a real problem with the potholes but I did have an issue with some uneven concrete slabs in the Pontiac area that I misjudged. Scuffed the front lip pretty badly. honestly, the impacts sound really nasty (especially since one of my shocks was blown when I bought the car) but it handles them well enough. I agree with the others when they say to not let our area get in the way of getting a dream car. I do want to take it to a track though. I stretched its legs a bit in some country back roads in IN and that was a blast. you learn the roads well enough and you'll know where the standard problem areas are. Commerce, Milford, and W. Bloomfield are decent driving areas. but they still have a few rough spots. I'm definitely going to wait until the temperature stabilizes and they "fix" the roads before getting it back out for the summer. Good luck with your decision!
BigHair likes this.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Race & Pamper

Bad roads = bad idea for any Lotus.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:24 PM

Road conditions never distracted me from owning a wide variety of sports cars in Michigan. It really depends on your view of feeling the road.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:36 AM

I live in Buffalo NY, a place that also has horrible roads. I do remember having to take a longer route to my destination more than once because of the road conditions, but I also didn't mind having an excuse to drive the car more. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

SOLD: 2005 Lotus Elise w/ Katana2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in