Help! ASAP Please... I'm locked out!... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Help! ASAP Please... I'm locked out!...

I moved my 2005 Elise out of the garage to do some garage clean up and when I went to unlock the doors to put it back in the garage...there is no response. Also, the key does not work manually in the door lock. I notice my Key Fob LED stays red, then afer awhile goes out. I've searched here for what to do but cannot find anything. Dumb me... my owners manual is in the net behind the drivers seat so I cannot get into the car to read about the alarm/key fob info... NOW I realize this is NOT a good place to keep my owners manual!

Any help SOON is much apreciated. I'm going back outside to try again.

Standing by...

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfoiler
I moved my 2005 Elise out of the garage to do some garage clean up and when I went to unlock the doors to put it back in the garage...there is no response. Also, the key does not work manually in the door lock. I notice my Key Fob LED stays red, then afer awhile goes out. I've searched here for what to do but cannot find anything. Dumb me... my owners manual is in the net behind the drivers seat so I cannot get into the car to read about the alarm/key fob info... NOW I realize this is NOT a good place to keep my owners manual!

Any help SOON is much apreciated. I'm going back outside to try again.

Standing by...

Marty
You say your key does not work manually in the door lock... not to sound ridiculous, but did you place key in hole, turn 90 degrees, then push?

Matte Black, Sport, Touring, ***** intake (TBA), RAC Mono wheels, Painted Shift knob, smoked turn signals, Alpine SPS 6.5" rear speakers, MB Quarts, JVC Nav, Starshield, LBH exhaust, Dpic perf. gauge, Custom true HID projectors, GUT wing and splitter, Mesh side pods, Sector111 harness bar and 4-point harness, Lotus Sport Ohlins double-adjustable suspension, swaybar, '06 LED tailights, Toda flywheel, Lotusport interior.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:17 PM
anglophile in exile

I have the 2005 model handbook as a pdf - I can email it to you if you like (4MB)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:24 PM
anglophile in exile

PS: just read the relevant pages and it suggests the battery may be flat

To unlock you need to access the boot.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:28 PM

Also likely the remote is out of sync with alarm.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
pip

Seem to recall other "locked out" threads...

do a thread search-key words "locked out" and you may find a simple solution. Further recall that the battery was the culprit! Good Luck
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

I'm in!

Well I did find the thread with the mention of making sure the mechanical lock is horizontal NOT vertical. THAT DID IT! I have no idea how it got vertical...
Lesson learned... do NOT store the owners manual inside the passenger compartment!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am going to read up on all the details on the alarm in the manual. (That will now be stored in my boot!)

Many thanks!

Marty
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfoiler
Well I did find the thread with the mention of making sure the mechanical lock is horizontal NOT vertical. THAT DID IT! I have no idea how it got vertical...
Lesson learned... do NOT store the owners manual inside the passenger compartment!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am going to read up on all the details on the alarm in the manual. (That will now be stored in my boot!)

Many thanks!

Marty
Ahem, (1st answer to your post above),

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serebo1
You say your key does not work manually in the door lock... not to sound ridiculous, but did you place key in hole, turn 90 degrees, then push?

Matte Black, Sport, Touring, ***** intake (TBA), RAC Mono wheels, Painted Shift knob, smoked turn signals, Alpine SPS 6.5" rear speakers, MB Quarts, JVC Nav, Starshield, LBH exhaust, Dpic perf. gauge, Custom true HID projectors, GUT wing and splitter, Mesh side pods, Sector111 harness bar and 4-point harness, Lotus Sport Ohlins double-adjustable suspension, swaybar, '06 LED tailights, Toda flywheel, Lotusport interior.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Not the admin anymore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serebo1
Ahem, (1st answer to your post above),
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 03:51 AM

Door Lock Help, Pt. 2

I developed a similar problem over the weekend, but the fix is a little more complicated. I've locked my car a few times recently with the key since my alarm needs to re-calibrated (I moved the sensor during a stereo installation). I knew about the key position. But last weekend, the driver's side lock decided to not work. The cylinder moves into the lock, but will not rotate, so the door can't be opened from the outside (the inside lever works fine). I pulled the upholstery off and took a look, but there's nothing that can be serviced without a major disassembly.

Normally I'd dive right in, but the car will be stored soon. On my last visit to HRM, I was told that there was a door lock update to be done on my chassis number (5/05 build) under warranty, so I'll leave it to them.

If anyone knows of a reasonably easy interim fix I'd appreciate some help; over the winter I'll clean and wax it, and jump in regularly and shift gears while making second-cam engine noises...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 111
If anyone knows of a reasonably easy interim fix I'd appreciate some help; over the winter I'll clean and wax it, and jump in regularly and shift gears while making second-cam engine noises...
The last time I had my car at the dealer for an ECU update (several months back), they also did an update to the door locks. I am not sure what exactly it was, but it was covered under warranty. They removed the mechanical lock assembly to perform the update. I noticed they did most of it through the access hole located behind the door reflector. After they finished, they painted white dots on the screw that holds the reflector on to indicate that the fix had been done.

2006 Lotus Elise - Solar Yellow, HT, LSS, LSD/TC, Touring, StarShield, S111 RTDbrace, S111 microMirror, S111 Carpet Buttons, Painted A/C Surround, CF Center Console, Nitron S/A, Tempest BAB26-12 AGM Battery, Fujita Intake, Top Speed Pro 1 Exhaust, 4Tress Harness Bar, JDM ASTAR Cree H1 LED Headlights, Plinthless front clam, BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE-71R 205F/235R on LSS Wheels, Heater Core By-Pass, Shifter Reinforcement, LETSLA v2 Shift Kit
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:27 PM

Mine was in for service yesterday and they did a fix to door locks - a TSB that has something to do with them sticking in cold weather, I was told.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in