How to disassemble an Elige mirror - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How to disassemble an Elige mirror

I would like to take my mirrors apart for painting on my 05' Elise but I don't want to break anything in the process. I removed the mirrors from the mirror housing but cannot see how to separate the mirror mount (#1 in the figure) from the mirror housing (#3 in the figure) where it flexes. It looks like there should be 2 screws holding it together but I can only find 1 (#11 in the figure). Does anyone guide me in how to disassemble this? I removed #11 and tried to pull it apart but maybe I am not using enough force? I don't want to break anything!!!
Attached Images

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:40 PM

There is only one screw (11) holding holding the mirror (3) to the plinth (1).

The upper pin on the mirror assembly only slips into a hole. Did a previous owner glue it together?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedR View Post
There is only one screw (11) holding holding the mirror (3) to the plinth (1).

The upper pin on the mirror assembly only slips into a hole. Did a previous owner glue it together?
I removed the #11 bolt from both mirrors and they don't come apart. Both were GLUED! I can see the glue now that I looked close enough! AHHHH! This will be so much fun! Thanks for responding so quickly TedR

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:38 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
I removed the #11 bolt from both mirrors and they don't come apart. Both were GLUED! I can see the glue now that I looked close enough! AHHHH! This will be so much fun! Thanks for responding so quickly TedR
Personally I'd just buy the new mirror plinths while you're at it. They're decently lighter, and what I plan to do in the future.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Personally I'd just buy the new mirror plinths while you're at it. They're decently lighter, and what I plan to do in the future.

San
Unfortunately it is not the plinths I am trying to use, it is the mirrors themselves. I wanted to disassemble them an hydro-dip them. This is not a priority project so I will probably shelf them until I have time to "cut" the plinths off. Thanks all for the info.

Central Florida
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Unfortunately it is not the plinths I am trying to use, it is the mirrors themselves. I wanted to disassemble them an hydro-dip them. This is not a priority project so I will probably shelf them until I have time to "cut" the plinths off. Thanks all for the info.
You don't need to cut the plinths off. You can remove the mirror from the painted body by carefully working a flat blade screwdriver along the seam, starting at the plinth end of the assembly. Once the mirror is seperated, you can release the spring inside the assembly and the mirror housing will slide off. If you go with Exige V6 plinthes, they now come with the adjuster knuckle attached to the plinth. You can slide your mirror body onto it and attach with the spring and snap the mirror back in place.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:28 AM

Not to thread jack.. but can you let me know how to remove the mirrors from the doors in the first place? 🙂 im having trouble with the 3 screws (i can see all 3)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
You don't need to cut the plinths off. You can remove the mirror from the painted body by carefully working a flat blade screwdriver along the seam, starting at the plinth end of the assembly. Once the mirror is seperated, you can release the spring inside the assembly and the mirror housing will slide off. If you go with Exige V6 plinthes, they now come with the adjuster knuckle attached to the plinth. You can slide your mirror body onto it and attach with the spring and snap the mirror back in place.
Thank you for responding. I will give this another try next weekend....

Central Florida
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerb0y View Post
Not to thread jack.. but can you let me know how to remove the mirrors from the doors in the first place? 🙂 im having trouble with the 3 screws (i can see all 3)
If you have found the three screws, it is just a matter of being patient with an allen wrench (hex key) and a flashlight. The window needs to be down. I like the tee handle allen wrenches for a better hand grip. Inevitably, you will lose one or more of the screws into the door and will have to remove the inner door panel to retrieve them, with the window up.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
If you have found the three screws, it is just a matter of being patient with an allen wrench (hex key) and a flashlight. The window needs to be down. I like the tee handle allen wrenches for a better hand grip. Inevitably, you will lose one or more of the screws into the door and will have to remove the inner door panel to retrieve them, with the window up.
What really helps is to magnetize the allen wrench. You can buy the magnetizing tool locally or online and do all your screw drivers as well. well worth a few dollars.
Good luck!

Central Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in