How will the depreciation of the Evora 400 affect the Evora S? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lotusquacious

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

How will the depreciation of the Evora 400 affect the Evora S?

I'm considering an Evora S but a bit concerned the Evora S may not hold its value as well as the Elise/Exige have. Right now it looks like you can get an Evora S for 45-55k depending on year/mileage/color. The Evora 2017 400's are down to 70k used and/or 75k if you buy one of the left over "new" ones with a 12k rebate. Anyone have any predictions on how the Evora 400 will go and the Evora S in terms of depreciation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:47 AM

My guess is that the Evora S, with mileage in the 25 - 40,000 range, may slide to low 40's but that's about it. However, if the new Lotus to be released at end of 2019 is a huge hit, more used Evoras might be on the market, which would drive prices lower.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:35 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Or it could have the opposite effect of supporting the prices of used cars....but only in the very long run. There are too many variables to predict with certainty how much less expensive Evoras can get but how much cheaper can they get?

The Lotus market may be tiny but then again so is the supply. Any bump in demand is just as likely to raise prices as lower them if people see cars like the S and 400 as exotic bargains that are also less expensive to maintain. Inconvenient maybe, but not expensive compared to the alternatives. Especially if one wants what everybody says they want; a car that is focused on the driver.

Which brings us to why anybody should buy a late model Evora in the first place. You have to really want one for the pleasure of driving and owning a car as exotic as anything on the road. These cars cost less but are not as recognizable or as well supported. If you can deal with those downsides the upsides are significant for the right person. As we've seen with almost all the models, there is a limit to how much they depreciate. Any Evora should be a relatively good toy so long as gasoline remains widely available but if they can match the Exige's resale heroics at this time is unlikely.

All cars take a hit and some may even rebound in time but the truth is, most won't. That's just as true for Porsche, Corvette, Alfa, AMG, BMW and McLaren.....and Ferrari.... as it is for Lotus. Early adopters of the Evora have been soaked, but nobody's in danger of that now.

If an Evora fits your equation, there may be no better time to buy one. A late model used sports car is going to depreciate if you drive it but that's the whole point of a Lotus.
Europa TC likes this.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT

Last edited by lotusquacious; 03-20-2019 at 07:05 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:47 AM

As we saw with the Elise/Exige, values will dip till 6-8 yrs old then level and rise up as folks realize how incredible the cars really were /are. I do not expect to see an Evora dip below 40K unless mileage is high or it is poorly cared for....yes, I have seen abused ones show up for a track day looking like they were crying for wax and interior was basically filthy... pigs are pigs.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V1 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]->stunning 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather (LUCY)
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:38 AM

Garage
I for certain want a S in a year or two.

RE: Exige,

notelling?, will be interesting in watching time tell part of that tale. I imagine there will be a dip in used prices when new cars start hitting the shores. My arm chair prediction sez that would be one of the last "dip" in awhile.

Everytime you take that car out, the cameras do too... If not for 20% tint I would be more neurotic than I already am! heh

L O T U S
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:27 AM

I don't know that the Evora is going to track the Elise, no other Lotus has.

Esprit SE was a pretty great car, still is. MSRP was like 80k. nicest one in the world is 35. They were 20 something all day long 15 years ago. V8s have done a little better I think because the casual buyer thinks more cylinders is better. G cars are getting random numbers for their retro look, but they were flat for decades.

There are NA Evoras trading for under 40, I would anticipate not so loved examples hitting 30. When they stop making them I would think prices would stabilize with a slight downward trend on most, until rarity and inflation buoy them.

Cars are toilets. IF you want to make money invest in the stock market or buy real estate.

I don't buy a car I don't intend to keep for a decade. If it drops or rises by 10 k, that really has little effect on my cost of ownership

If you are buying a car to 60k and cannot afford to lose 10k in a year, well, you really couldn't afford it.....

Yeah, value is interesting, but if it is affecting your decision making, you are playing the game wrong
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:44 AM

I think the classic supply vs demand curve will illustrate the price problem with the Evora 400 surplus.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in