Installation Guides - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Installation Guides

This thread was created as a place to keep a library of installation guides and how-to's. I'll start it off by posting the first one. I created a PDF of the sill protector installation. It has lots of pictures and information to make the installation as trouble free as possible. I am also working on another guide that I will post later.

If all of us document and take pictures of our upgrades and add-on this link can become a valuable resource. Feel free to contribute your own guides.

Randy, I'm not sure where this thread should go. Feel free to move it to a good home
Attached Images
File Type: pdf sill protector installation guide.pdf (139.1 KB, 459 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 04:19 PM

Nice guide! With pictures and everything, all pro like..

But the one question I have: What exactly does this protect? I'm surprised to see that it covers less than half the sill, and the two sides (not the center) is where it's most likely to get scratch by some shoelace eyelet on a boot or something.

I just assumed the the protector actually folds over the corner of the sill, or something like that. If it's right in the center, the protector should stay nice and shiny while the corners on the sill get gouged.

But it sure does look nice, and that goes a long way.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

OK, I have made another guide. This one is a headlight upgrade installation guide. I wasn't impressed with the light output of this upgrade and also was hoping it would be an upgrade for the main beams and not the high beams. In fact it is a high beam upgrade so no of much use to me. I will likely do the HID retrofit in the near future.

Anyway I hope to see lots of quality contributions to this thread. Looking forward to your input

PS: Gound Loop, the sill protectors do provide marginal protection, more for looks perhaps. A better solution would be welcomed.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf headlight upgrade installation guide.pdf (141.0 KB, 538 views)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 01:33 AM

Hey Derek

regarding the Sill protector... are you sure you have this installed in the right location?
the reaon I ask is that I have seen this on cars over here and it is always fiited to the small ledge like area that gets covered up when the door is closed and not at all visibible when the car doors are shut.

just asking.....

Milan
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Milan
Hey Derek

regarding the Sill protector... are you sure you have this installed in the right location?
the reaon I ask is that I have seen this on cars over here and it is always fiited to the small ledge like area that gets covered up when the door is closed and not at all visibible when the car doors are shut.

just asking.....

Milan
Well to be honest... NO. It's is in my opinion not the most logical place for them. Not the place I would have designed them to fit in, as they really are not shaped ideally for the location where I mounted them. They are not wide enough and also do not wrap around the sill, which IMO would have made more sense.
That said and done have you investigated mounting them in the location you suggest?
I have, and what I found is exactly the same as what others here have found... If you mount them where logically they should go they will look perfect. See... Well not exactly see my next post.
Attached Images

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Well that is until you close the doors. Then they will look ridiculous.

Personally I would have MUCH preferred to mount them where you suggest. But there is simply no way to mount them in that location without them showing when you close the doors. Trust me; I have done looked into it in great detail.
Attached Images

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:54 AM

>>>Personally I would have MUCH preferred to mount them where you suggest. But there is simply no way to mount them in that location without them showing when you close the doors. Trust me; I have done looked into it in great detail.

That's my car in the PIC. Since then I've been able to mount the "Elise" alloy sill decorations further forward and inward such that they are not visible from the exterior any more. But they don't look as good from the door-open view. I'd like to see that part revised, shaped and sized better for our cars! The front "Elise" plate looks fine up front though.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
>>>Personally I would have MUCH preferred to mount them where you suggest. But there is simply no way to mount them in that location without them showing when you close the doors. Trust me; I have done looked into it in great detail.

That's my car in the PIC. Since then I've been able to mount the "Elise" alloy sill decorations further forward and inward such that they are not visible from the exterior any more. But they don't look as good from the door-open view. I'd like to see that part revised, shaped and sized better for our cars! The front "Elise" plate looks fine up front though.
Did you have to bend them? I noticed that the lower sill is not flat but is actually twisted. I couldn't get them to lay flat in that position. It seems to me that Lotus was hitting the pipe when they designed these things. Plus I can't see what they actually protect down there. My feet never go near that part of the door opening.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 05:43 AM

>>>Did you have to bend them? I noticed that the lower sill is not flat but is actually twisted. I couldn't get them to lay flat in that position. It seems to me that Lotus was hitting the pipe when they designed these things. Plus I can't see what they actually protect down there. My feet never go near that part of the door opening.<<<

I'm still playing around with them...they are made of soft, bendable, formable aluminum so they can be made to conform to contours, no problem. But they do not come preformed.

I consider them a nonfunctional decorative accessory. With heavy scuff exposure they would tend to show marks I would think. The black frame covers are quite scuff resistant as-is...mine seem to wipe clean very easily and I don't feel any stress about them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Alloy Sill Plates are the same size/shape as the Esprit versions. As in someone called up the supplier and told them to make some that say Elise instead of Esprit. With some minor changes they could be made to fit better and with less confusion and experimentation.

Last edited by Stan; 09-20-2004 at 05:45 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 07:01 AM

During our visit at LCU Chris & I asked the folks about the installation of the Sill Plates. We were told they go on the vertical portion of the door sill (facing out).

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by khamai
During our visit at LCU Chris & I asked the folks about the installation of the Sill Plates. We were told they go on the vertical portion of the door sill (facing out).
I tried that also... They not only don't fit there but they also manage to look... Well just wrong in that location.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by khamai
That's just what I was going to ask. Vertical, between the plastic sill cover and gasket. Weird that they wouldn't fit there. It would protect you from... people kicking your car Right There while getting in?

I suspect Derek's right, that they're just arbitrary decorative Elise badging you can put anywhere you like.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 02:13 PM

I bought these on E-Bay a few days ago: Item #7943434553

Now waiting for delivery.
Attached Images

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 02:37 PM

I've done a how to, and Stan has done many. But they are scattered throughout the Elisetalk Kingdom....

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 05:32 PM

What are you guys smoking? Hello??? The aluminum sill protectors go on the underside of the door. DUH!!! It's to protect the bottom of the door from the toe of people's shoes when they slip and fall back into the car!!! SHeesh...do I have to figure everything out?!?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in