Launch of the C8 Corvette & Lotus? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Launch of the C8 Corvette & Lotus?

Anyone have any thoughts or impressions of the launch of the new C8 Corvette?

It seems to me that the C8 Corvette is likely to take a bite out of companies like Lotus and Porsche in the USA.

The C8 Corvette under $60,000 is going to be a pretty interesting car for the money (V8 - 495 hp, mid-engine, 0-60 under 3 seconds), and I can get it serviced at any Chevrolet dealer in the USA.

I wonder how or if Lotus, Porsche and some of the other car makers are going to respond?

Have a good weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:31 AM

I think it will hurt Supra sales more than anything else.
mattjk, georgiadawgs98 and CMP like this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:45 AM

Corvette C8 curb Weight (pounds): 3,366
End of discussion.

The garage moveD.
2007 CO Elise--in new hands--in STL
Toyota Tundra
Mazda Miata
1973 jet black Ford Mustang convertible...SOLD!

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:58 AM

4 pounds more than a Ferrari 488...........not that I want either.........
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
I watched live last night. I was completely bored with the extra long intro until they showed the car.
I plan on buying a 2021. GM first year reliability isn't very impressive.
The fact that you can go to a dealer in pretty much every town and sub $100k? Even if it depreciates as fast as a Lotus, it will still be fun.

'11 Evora
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:13 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML1media View Post
End of discussion.
DRY WEIGHT... add 150-175lbs. for curb weight (3516-3541)

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Corvette always has been and always will be the best bang for the buck whether buying new or used. Just a matter of economics and how GM structures the vehicle as well as numbers sold.

Fact of the matter is, not every one wants a corvette.

I've wanted a Gallardo for a few years now, and hope to get one in the next few. My kids know this and when we went to the Corvette museum in Kentucky, my son (10 at the time) was drooling ove a brand new yellow C7. It was beautiful. He say, "Dad, is the Gallardo faster than this?" I replied, "no" he then asks, is this more expensive than a Gallardo?" I again reply, "no" so then he asks "then why do you want a Gallardo??" I explained that I've wanted a Lamborghini forever and to me it is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. The Corvette just doesn't do it for me. Great cars by any measure, just not what I want.

So much emotion goes into car ownership that logic often goes to the wayside. I don't think this will effect sales any more than the Corvette ever has. They will sell a ton of them and there will be 5-1 to porsche on the road and 100-1 to Lambo's and Ferrari's, just like they are now.

Also...the rear end sucks. lol.
darkSol, 4380r, cmaser and 1 others like this.

2010 Lotus Exige S240
2001 BMW M5
2017 Ford Raptor
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (wife-mobile)
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:56 AM

In think the sports car models which will suffer are Alfa's 4C, McLaren and the NSX. To my way of thinking, today the NSX became obsolete due to Chevrolet's cost-superior performance and the(expected) ease of getting the new Vette repaired.

Biggest minuses with the new Corvette? No manual transmission, and the butt ugly butt. That rear view is just waaaaay to cluttered.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa TC View Post
In think the sports car models which will suffer are Alfa's 4C, McLaren and the NSX. To my way of thinking, today the NSX became obsolete due to Chevrolet's cost-superior performance and the(expected) ease of getting the new Vette repaired.

Biggest minuses with the new Corvette? No manual transmission, and the butt ugly butt. That rear view is just waaaaay to cluttered.

I would add in the 718 and Evora GT being hurt, while only these last two do carry an ace of offering a manual transmission

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REKIII View Post
Corvette always has been and always will be the best bang for the buck whether buying new or used. Just a matter of economics and how GM structures the vehicle as well as numbers sold.

Fact of the matter is, not every one wants a corvette.
This is why I want one and why I do not want one. This should be a very fun car on the track and at least in the USA there will be plenty of shops that can work on it. For a tool to play on the track with I want one and am tempted to get one. I don't want one because I see countless Corvette's everywhere I go. I'm also sure there will be plenty of these wrecked as people can afford one that have no clue about mid engine dynamics.

edit: I also understand many want a manual in this car, but for the track the paddles are much faster.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:50 PM

I dont think many are deciding between a Corvette and an evora. Even less people are on the fence between an Elige and a Vette

2007 Exige S - in the works...
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML1media View Post
End of discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkSol View Post
DRY WEIGHT... add 150-175lbs. for curb weight (3516-3541)
I ran power to weight numbers against similar cars here: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f15...52/index2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa TC View Post
Also, the association with the stereotype of traditional Corvette owners: Tommy Bahama shirt, gold chain, too-white New Balance sneakers, folding chair, "I know what I got, 1/1 vehicle", frequent inappropriate remarks made to female waitstaff...
Crazy05 likes this.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
MG]

Also, the association with the stereotype of traditional Corvette owners: Tommy Bahama shirt, gold chain, too-white New Balance sneakers, folding chair, "I know what I got, 1/1 vehicle", frequent inappropriate remarks made to female waitstaff...
Have been to scores, if not hundreds of car shows, cars and coffees, and other car events and while I've been hearing about that stereotype for decades and I think I can count the number of Vette owners I've seen actually fitting that stereotype on the fingers of one hand...

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

C8 or Evora

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1tonton View Post
I dont think many are deciding between a Corvette and an evora. Even less people are on the fence between an Elige and a Vette
That's exactly what I am going to do.

I am holding off on a Evora until I can benchmark it against the C8. I still think the Evora is a better looking vehicle. It will be a more exclusive car compared to the number of C8's you will see on the road. With that in mind every time you see a C8 on the road and realize that the C8 owner paid less money, has better performance and less hassle trying to get it serviced than a Evora owner, do you want to be reminded of that every time you see a C8?

I am a performance/value oriented buyer so I need to see how they compare. Maybe the C8 will not hold up to the Evora but I am going to find out before I purchase a car.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Well I am one! And the person who sold my Elise to me had an older Corvette at the time.

I am just trying to figure out can I keep my Elise and also get the Corvette or will I have to sell it
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Supporting Vendor

I liked all the commentary about the superiority of the mid-engined layout. Their Chief Engineer suggested this was inevitable for them. Back in the 80s, Fiero performance was hamstrung by the Corvette guys internally. Fiero could have been made much faster but Corvette lobbied hard to make sure that did not happen...

Maybe the Mister2 may come back to life as well?!

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I think you're very wrong there. People shopping Evoras even before the C8 were typically cross shopping between the Evora, the Cayman, and the Corvette. They're very reasonable to cross-compare, and the Corvette fit very well into this competition even before the C8.

Not sure why people are so upset by the lack of a manual. It's a dual clutch, not an automatic. I'd take a proper dual clutch Evora in a heartbeat.

With the price on the only available Evora jumping way up into the 120+ range pitting it really only against the 911 or R8, they've effectively exited this market with the Cayman and C8. I think people who were interested in the Evora pre-GT at the prices people were realistically buying the Evora 400 at will be all over it.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:31 PM

I never had any real interest in a corvette... until I saw this one! Looks great from the side.. much like a couple other super cars but at 1/3 the price. Double clutch and decent performance. Looking forward to some actual reviews and eventually see one in person. I have a short list of cars to consider if/when I move on from my elise... and the C8 might just be on there.
darkSol likes this.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:00 AM

Sure, the C8 could be referred to as "portly"; larger in almost every dimension compared to the C7 and slightly heavier. After all, this is a GT car, not a high strung exotic, made to comfortably fit the ever expanding "average size" American driver. The intent was also to make space usable. Many mid engine designs have zero storage space in the front (cue Evora) let alone room for two sets of golf clubs behind the engine. Cockpit access appears to be no more difficult than the C7 and interior room is adequate for two without inducing claustrophobia.

The C8 does not extensively use exotic material like carbon fiber which helps control cost. The aluminum tub is overbuilt to accommodate the more powerful upcoming Zora or Z06. What the designers have done is minimize the compromises of a mid engine layout so that more can enjoy the benefits, and introduce a vehicle heretofore never available in this price range or volume and can be serviced at literally thousands of locations. Because of that, the C8, though not cutting edge technology wise, breaks new ground and begs the question why this formula hasn't been attempted before now. The answer of course lies with jumping through all the approval processes not the least of which is convincing corporate brass who care only about profitability. With such a large established base of Corvette enthusiasts perhaps GM is the only manufacturer that could have pulled this off.

This is America's answer to Everyman's Ferrari. The C8 must sell in the tens of thousands, therefore by default it cannot be a niche car. Since there is zero competition in this segment, it's success seems a foregone conclusion.
fzust, Poorichard, RoHo and 1 others like this.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
With the price on the only available Evora jumping way up into the 120+ range pitting it really only against the 911 or R8, they've effectively exited this market with the Cayman and C8. I think people who were interested in the Evora pre-GT at the prices people were realistically buying the Evora 400 at will be all over it.
I think if the C8 is put together well enough and with the introduction other versions of the car coming out over the next several years like the Z06. My guess is that you will see the C8 eat into the market share of Porsche, Audi and even Lotus. There will still be the committed loyalist of each of these brands who will never purchase anything else but new buyers in the market will possibly be tempted by the C8.
It will hurt Porsche, Audi and especially Lotus more to loose a few buyers than it will Chevrolet.
georgiadawgs98 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in