Lotus Esprit GT1/2 - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM

EspritGT1 Congrats on your project and for finally starting a GT1 building thread!
It also makes me want to finish mine as soon as possible. I just wish I had more free time for it; but I will find it. Needless to say it I'm a huge fan of the GT1 Champion cars for as long as i can remember and of course that includes our beloved Esprit GT1. Being 35 years old means I've also just like you and Travis have grown to love 80's and especially 90's super cars.

I'm really liking your new wheels very much, but I will advise you to go wider on the front wheels to avoid understeering, and no worries as power steering goes, you can just use an electric pump from a Ford, Volvo (same) or anything like it. It's actually very popular to find electric power steering in new production cars. You can do a bit of research and also find a suitable steering rack with similar dimentions and ratios. That's the way I'm going about it. I will be using a Ferrari F355 rack that was left over of a car I parted out years ago... Since the F355 has almost identical dimentions as the Esprit I sould be ok and the electric pump will be mounted inside the front compartment.

There are also fully electric steering rack systems available off the shelf, but I would stay away from those. Hydraulic steering racks have 50+ years of development and their performance generally speaking it's seamless. Electric racks are barely starting to be half way decent when compared to hydraulic ones. If you want to read more about it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...n-test-feature

But like I said anything with similar ratios should do the Job! Aside from being extremelly convinient for us Esprit owners; from the easy installation point avoiding the engineering of adding a mechanical pump to the engine belt system and the more obvious HP savings The best part of these electric power pumps is that they have an input for speed which it's then used to adjust for power steering assist at lower speeds, and accordingly, in higher speeds more of a hard feeling to it for best handling/stability. Although you can just power the thing (- & +) and just use it as a reg steering pump, if you don't want to get fancy with it?? I hope this helps you!

Last edited by myespritgt; 09-20-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Thank you myespritgt

I will look into that, I'don't think Im so Lucky to get a F355 steering rack. I have the Winter to finish my Project
post #23 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Room for rear difuser

I have put my exhaust up in the engine room, to allow me to build a bigger rear diffuser. I haven't dicided on building a 2 tunnel as the Porsche 962, or go for the more standard 1 tunnel. If I build the 2 tunnel I will let the lower A-arms in the Airstream !!!
Attached Images

post #24 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 04:39 AM

Anytime EspritGT1! I know I really did get lucky, but like I said anything with similar gear ratios and actual dimentions will do the Job too. By the way, I had in mind to exit the exhaust out the back like you but I was affraid to burn my Tail light lol.

I've also got rid off the rear trunk... Saving weight were I can. I really like your diffuser idea.

Last edited by myespritgt; 09-22-2013 at 06:08 AM.
post #25 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspritGT1 View Post
Some pics of my progress, New Wheel's coming soon from imagewheels, 13x18 for rear and 8x18 for front and of course it will be centerlock and Wheels will be black. Tires for the rear will be 345/35-18 and front will be 215/40-18. Best Choice since i don't have Power steering !!!
I actually like it!! can you say DE TOMASO PANTERA?

"I take life one pixel at a time"-RENDERMAN
Adobe Photoshop CC and Autodesk Maya Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
My work:
http://www.wilsart.com/
post #26 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 06:05 PM

I originally had 335/30/20 on the back, but they were to big in diameter 27.91". So I've switch them for 325/25/20 26.4" instead.. Now I can clear the Flare fender Arch and lower the car to the proper height which is close to 3" lower than SE Factory height.
post #27 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Nice myespritgt, nothing looks as good as a well lowered Esprit, do you have any pics of it
post #28 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:26 AM

I do, let me see if I can find one for you...
post #29 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome to Flickr!

Welcome to Flickr!

Welcome to Flickr!

These are from last night... I'm finally starting to work on it again. Looking at your pictures has giving me more motivation to work on it. For a while I've just been concentrating on the engine rebuild and many other upgrades such as Turbo, turbo manifold, injectors and much more; and almost forgot I've got a car to finish lol

Last edited by myespritgt; 09-24-2013 at 12:13 PM.
post #30 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

That s good myespritgt, but your pictures only come up black to me
post #31 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:31 PM

Oh no... I have to see what I did wrong...

Ok, I was afraid it didn't work because I posted them using my IPhone, but I just tried to view them with my gfriend's iPhone and they did worked. Maybe you need to set up a Flickr Account? I would say try again??

JG

Last edited by myespritgt; 09-26-2013 at 07:40 PM.
post #32 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Great wheels you got JG, nice to see you have started your project too.
post #33 of 110 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 01:37 PM

Thank you EspritGT1! Yes I'm very excited over the build of this car and it's future with me... I've also taken the whole front suspension out so I can properly modified it. It's not wise at all to just add a bunch of spacing with wheel adapters/spacers or even just wheels with a lot of offset. The front geometry has to be kept as original from the car as possible.

The right way to do this, it's to lengthen the A-arms and add more Spring rate and Shox capables of more rate rebound. I've chosen to go with adjustable Coilovers 8" Eibach 400# springs all around and modified Yellow Konis in all four corners. It's both cost effective and it should handle the added length.

JG
post #34 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 04:44 PM

images of the 21 car at BRP revival 6th Oct 2013

Cyril MORACHIOLI of sena productions took these images of the 21 car at the recent BPR revival held at paul ricard a few weeks ago

If anybody has any images from 1996 i would love to get a copy for my collection
Attached Images

post #35 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Great pics Peter. I can see of the pic that this is a car convertet to LM spec by Pilbeam. The cuts in the front of the light pods. Good to see the orginal dymag Wheels on it !!!

My replica will be all black, some of the smaller stickers will be on and the huge Lotus sticker on the roof of course will be on mine.
post #36 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Next week I will get my custom made Wheels from ImageWheels and the centerlock adapters. I'm also waiting for UMB autobody to finish their GT1 wing. I will make a Naca duct at the rear left side. I think this was to cool one of the engine oil radiators on the GT1, I will cool my exhaust With mine.

Last edited by EspritGT1; 10-31-2013 at 05:20 AM.
post #37 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 04:41 PM

yes you can see where the body has been cut away under the light pods to make way for the fixed lights under a perspex cover as a lemans modification for the 1998 lemans attempt. i will make a carbon fill in piece that will bolt in there to cover over the gap now that i have gone back to the original light pods as per the BPR 1996.

The naca duct in the roof panel is for the gearbox cooler but this proved insufficient so a further naca duct was added in the left quarter and ducted air to a 2nd oil cooler mounted where the number plate would normally be.

I was thinking about making a road going replica of the 21 car as there arent that many places where i can take the original 21 car for a spin. i have spare sets of the carbon body panels, a spare engine and also a v8 donor car so its just the time really which is stopping me and also the fact that the virtually nothing on the original 21 race car is the same as per the std v8 so perhaps just too much work in the end.

I saw that you had some images of my car when it raced at anderthorp, Im trying to collect as many images of the car as possible and would love to add any images you have to my collection which i will get around to setting up a proper website one day for the car and post all the images.

Good luck with your build, let me know if you need to know anything.
Attached Images

post #38 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Well Peter, congrat of buying the Esprit GT1, good to see you here. Did you get the moulds for the Gt1 aero too ?

Last edited by EspritGT1; 11-03-2013 at 01:03 AM.
post #39 of 110 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Peter, I have more pics from the race at Anderstorp, but these are from a distant, but you can have them if you want them, I have to scan them first from my Anderstorp 1996 album !!!, had I known there was a BPR revival at Paul R. I had gone there in a sec !!!

Last edited by EspritGT1; 11-03-2013 at 01:03 AM.
post #40 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 AM

all the panels on the gt1 racer are made from pre preg carbon / nomex. i have molds

any images of the 1996 BPR series are most appreciated when you get a chance to scan them please let me have a copy.

are you usa or europe.

my name is peter, who is dave?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in