Lotus Pricing? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Lotus Pricing?

I went to a Lotus Dealership in Missouri (I'm on vacation), and the dealer was very nice. They have a nice selection... The price on the car I'm interested in is $51k, but he lowered it to $48,xxx to get it off the lot. It's got 3000 miles and it was a demo car. Stage II exhaust, leather all over, Clear bra and hardtop/softop. Is this a good deal?

BTW, 2006 Lotus Elise, Graphite Grey. Think I can get any lower than 48? Or is that a great deal? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 PM

There are several used Elise/Exige/Exige S here on the forum that you may want to look at as well. I test drove a demo car and ragged the h3ll out of it, just a little less than the salesman did, actually and it had less than 1000 miles on it at the time. The demo cars come with one extra year of warranty, I believe, because of that very issue.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

They also have a 2007 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - brand new. Should I go for that? MSRP $51,xxx

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:37 PM

Try looking through here first http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94, then call around to every dealer to see who can/will beat this particular deal (most dealers can ship the car to you).
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:40 PM

Used 2006 Elise for $48K...... shop around, you can do MUCH better than that.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Lol that much for a USED? Yeah, nice try, I don't think so... Heck I got 6k off MSRP on mine when I bought it, brand new! The initial depreciation on these cars is quite a bit, you should do some investigating on what used ones are going for...
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KochinoPride View Post
They also have a 2007 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - brand new. Should I go for that? MSRP $51,xxx
You need to decide what you want in the car. You seem like you are bouncing around based on a price. You may not want to do that as I think you may end up regretting something. Figure out what options you want on the car, if any, decide on a color, a year, etc and then look around for what you want. Believe me, it's out there and if not, have it ordered. That just takes a little longer.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIIK2NR View Post
Used 2006 Elise for $48K...... shop around, you can do MUCH better than that.
It's not "used." It's a demo, which is still considered new with a 4 year/40K (IIRC) mile factory warranty instead of 3yr/30Kmile.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 PM

What should it cost?

For what its worth, I bought a 2006 Demo with a little more than 3K on it less than a month ago for $42. And I'm in Southern California where these cars sell a lot easier and there's no impending winter.
I have touring package, traction control, star shield, stage II and a popular color combo (storm titanium with red seats). Still have 1yr of warranty and the dealer put on new tires, new brakes, new clutch.

So . . . take that for what its worth. I don't think your deal is bad, just maybe not a 'super' deal.

Hope that helps.

You know. . . this car would be even faster if you weren't sitting in the passenger seat.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KochinoPride View Post
I went to a Lotus Dealership in Missouri (I'm on vacation), and the dealer was very nice. They have a nice selection... The price on the car I'm interested in is $51k, but he lowered it to $48,xxx to get it off the lot. It's got 3000 miles and it was a demo car. Stage II exhaust, leather all over, Clear bra and hardtop/softop. Is this a good deal?

BTW, 2006 Lotus Elise, Graphite Grey. Think I can get any lower than 48? Or is that a great deal? Thanks!
It's not great, nor could it even be considered a deal.
I think you can easily find a new '07 for less than 48k, especially now that the 08's are shipping.

2005 Starlight Black Elise, -hardtop/touring/black interior/sector111 carpet buttons!
2008 Infiniti G37-S
2012 Mazda3i Grand Touring Hatchback w-SkyActiv
1974 MGB Roadster
(1991 300ZX 2+2 - RIP girl, you treated me well.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:19 PM

Are you paying full cash or financing?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 PM

BEWARE!!!

I was in that very car a few years ago with Steve Brown (that dealerships former Lotus sales person). He took me on highway 370 and threw the shifter in 2nd from 6th travelling over 70 miles per hour. Purposefully too. He was explaining to me how durable the transmissions are and how strong the 2nd cam is. I was in complete shock that the transmission just didn't fall out the back.

It was an experience all right. He used to drive this car all the time (to and from home) and the dealership has since taken this all over as some kind of publicity car to local events and shows.

In my opinion, this is not a good deal --- that car has had a hard life in just 3000 miles.

Most local Lotus's were not purchased from there. Most of their Lotus business seems to be to those in other states. All I will say is do your research.

I'm not trying to rip on the dealership...many here know my experience with them and I would rather not get into it again and sling mud---their service department is good and that's about all I will say.

By the way ... notice how the price keeps changing on these cars depending on who looks at it. The poster here is being quoted prices higher than what others have.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:21 PM

Don't buy a demo, they are not worth it. You would probably have more luck buying a used car that only had one owner (that probably took excellent care of the car) instead of a dealer that knew he wouldn't own the car for that long.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:41 PM

You need to learn negotiating skills. Whatever the dealer offers the car to you at is usually not what you want to accept unless it's an extremely fair and honest dealer.

Those options don't even sound like they add up to $51k on an '06, especially a used one.

I say you should be buying at $42-43k max.

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM

You should get that car for ~42k, IMO

07 ExigeS;05 Elise(RIP);06 V70R;12 JKUR
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 PM

If it's 3k miles and the title's never been transferred, thhat's a LOT of beating ... Yikes!

Unless you can get a good deal on the demo, just spend a bit more and go for the CO one. It's not been used and could prove to be a much better deal in the long run

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanLivin View Post
For what its worth, I bought a 2006 Demo with a little more than 3K on it less than a month ago for $42. And I'm in Southern California where these cars sell a lot easier and there's no impending winter.
I have touring package, traction control, star shield, stage II and a popular color combo (storm titanium with red seats). Still have 1yr of warranty and the dealer put on new tires, new brakes, new clutch.

So . . . take that for what its worth. I don't think your deal is bad, just maybe not a 'super' deal.

Hope that helps.
I will go with this, not a bad deal - you may be able to do a bit better, push them a little you will likely save $1500 to $2000 more.

Current car list:06 BMW M5 with Schnitzer & Dinan mods. 05 Elise soon with a turbo, highly modded. 99 Sport 190 - best fun ever! 90 Nissan show & go car - 589rwhp+ 06 Ford F-250 hauler/Monster truck. 97 Esprit V8, nicer than new - with Mahle pistons. 04Esprit V8 "final run" - will return better than ever!!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist View Post
You need to learn negotiating skills. Whatever the dealer offers the car to you at is usually not what you want to accept unless it's an extremely fair and honest dealer.

Those options don't even sound like they add up to $51k on an '06, especially a used one.

I say you should be buying at $42-43k max.
I got mine with ~5,200 miles for $39,200.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...t=38926&page=5

Final car/price on page 6.

Do your research, and negotiate. The dealer and I were something around $300 off when we gave each other our prices.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 11:35 PM

Dealers love the people who walk in, get an initial offering and pay that price

You have to understand the position of the dealer. They are (probably) paying for floor planning (meaning interest to the manufacturer) on a car that is probably not extremely desirable given its mileage, despite being "new". Definitely not as desirable as a barely-touched new car, yet that's the price you're being offered at $48k, IMO.

With the new model year rolling in, the car is going to depreciate even faster because it will be a 2 year old car. They have no choice but to clear it out for new inventory anyhow. I'm sure they would sell at minimal profit, if not at a small loss, to get rid of it.

Ask them to sell it for $40k and see what they say.

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 11-19-2007 at 11:42 PM.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix SRT View Post
You are naive. And foolish. Sure, demos come with a full new car warranty starting from the date they are purchased. I'm not so sure they come with an extra year over and above the new car warranty as you suggest, though. But, even if they do, they are still used. Frequently very, very used. Well beyond the miles on their odometers used.

Since you've read this far, you've already ready earlier posters to this thread relate their experiences with demos. And I've seen similar things. And if you go on any enthusiast discussion board, you will find idiots posting who boast of how they hammered on some poor demo car. The bottom line is that demos are all too frequently abused. Worse yet, they are abused within their break in periods.
Far from naive and foolish. Lotus still considers these cars "new," not "used." Your bank will finance them, unlike many used cars, the dealer can sell the car as "new," etc. And, yes, to clarify your ignorance on the matter, they do carry an extra 12 months of factory warranty, the only part that I am unable to recall is whether they carry an extra 10k or 12k miles with them (I believe that it is 10K). If you read my posts above, I have already pointed out the fact that demos get abused by drivers and salesfolks -- just as I and my salesman did, again before 1000 miles. Now if you are calling me one of those "idiots posting who boast of how they hammered on some poor demo car," please take your name calling back to 3rd grade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in