Need Help QUICK - Locked out of car - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Need Help QUICK - Locked out of car

I just ran into a building to pick something up. Locked my car on the way in. Now the car will not respond to the transmitter. Range was good before, so I don't think it is the battery. I have the blackwatch key, so I can't open it up right now.

I tried using the key on the locks, but they turn and don't respond.

How do I get in and start the car, preferably without the alarm going off?

07 ExigeS;05 Elise(RIP);06 V70R;12 JKUR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Plug Whisperer

Stand next to the passenger side door. Hold both fob buttons in at the same time. After about 10-15 seconds, the light should stop flashing and just stay on... Then hit the unlock button. Hit unlock button again if it can doesn't unlock. If still won't work, you need new batteries in the fob. This happened to me about a month ago at a quickie mart so I feel your pain

Best,

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj3394 View Post
I just ran into a building to pick something up. Locked my car on the way in. Now the car will not respond to the transmitter. Range was good before, so I don't think it is the battery. I have the blackwatch key, so I can't open it up right now.

I tried using the key on the locks, but they turn and don't respond.

How do I get in and start the car, preferably without the alarm going off?

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Plug Whisperer

Oh- just saw that you have the BWR key... That's a problem since you can't see the light and it's hard to be sure that you're pressing both buttons. I have the smae BWR key as well... I carry the spare fob on the car for that very reason... You will likely have to take the BWR key apart to do this or get your spare fob to get in...

The key locks on the doors are not connected to the locking actuators in the doors, which is why your key didn't get you in...

Good luck,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Oh- just saw that you have the BWR key... That's a problem since you can't see the light and it's hard to be sure that you're pressing both buttons. I have the smae BWR key as well... I carry the spare fob on the car for that very reason... You will likely have to take the BWR key apart to do this or get your spare fob to get in...

The key locks on the doors are not connected to the locking actuators in the doors, which is why your key didn't get you in...

Good luck,

Phil
Damn tiny allen screws. Trying to make a tool...

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM
def

Couldn't he count in his head 10 seconds, then try the unlock button to try to guess the timing?

No harm in trying right?

edit: or maybe the BWR key makes it tricky to push both

V10 R8 Noble M400 GG Elise (sold after 1192 days and 22961 miles)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:03 PM

Try holding the BWR fob next to the window about a foot in front of the little pop up knob or next to the rear window right above the interior light. Also try pushing the button in different places (at the very bottom and sliding it a little bit higher).

good luck
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

I've got the chip out and I can get it to flash. Problem is it never stops flashing. Ideas?

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

BTW, the light is very weak. That playing a part?

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I actually got it to set the alarm off once. Can't get it to unlock.

Does anyone know whether the "big" button is the one closest to the key?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Plug Whisperer

big button is the one closer to the key. As the bottons are closer to the top, it's the left button.. Sounds like you need a new battery.... did I mention that I also carry an extra battery with me too?

When I got locked out due to weak battery, I could also set the alarm off with the small button, but I couldn't unlock it...

Lotus survival pack: Extra key fob, Extra fob battery, cell phone, AAA

-P

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
big button is the one closer to the key. As the bottons are closer to the top, it's the left button.. Sounds like you need a new battery.... did I mention that I also carry an extra battery with me too?

When I got locked out due to weak battery, I could also set the alarm off with the small button, but I couldn't unlock it...

Lotus survival pack: Extra key fob, Extra fob battery, cell phone, AAA

-P
I've got the wife on the way with the other key - also a BWR key.

Anyway, did you mean transmitter battery or car battery? I've got a braille at home if I need her to bring it.

I'm assuming the other key should do it...

I just walked back to my office and I'm watching a DUI video where the cops scrubbed all of the audio. Hmmmmmmm.....

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Plug Whisperer

Fob/transmitter battery... Keep one in the boot and in your case, a small allen wrench to dismantal fob...

On my BWR fob, I carved a small relief in the carbon fiber button and plastic bridge so that I could see the red light flash. I can't see it real well, but I can see it just well enough to see what needs to be seen for an event like this...

Quote:
I've got the wife on the way with the other key - also a BWR key.

Anyway, did you mean transmitter battery or car battery? I've got a braille at home if I need her to bring it.

I'm assuming the other key should do it...

I just walked back to my office and I'm watching a DUI video where the cops scrubbed all of the audio. Hmmmmmmm.....

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Fob/transmitter battery... Keep one in the boot and in your case, a small allen wrench to dismantal fob...

On my BWR fob, I carved a small relief in the carbon fiber button and plastic bridge so that I could see the red light flash. I can't see it real well, but I can see it just well enough to see what needs to be seen for an event like this...
This is key - keep an extra battery in the trunk. That was our problem. The battery was only 2 days old!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 04:54 AM

Thanks to this post I could get to work this morning!! Thanks guys!!

2005 Graphite Gray with Red.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
This is key - keep an extra battery in the trunk. That was our problem. The battery was only 2 days old!
what battery does it require and where is the best place to get it?
thnx
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 AM

with all the issues I read about the alarm. I keep a spare battery hidden with duct tape near the rear license plate. I trimmed an allen key so it will fit inside my ford fob so that I can use it to open up my BWR Uni-key.

Phantom Black 2007 Exige Kold Fire, Tesla double din dash.
Black 01' Mustang Cobra 'Vert ("some" modifications) daily driver
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 AM

The batteries are: CR 2032. Here is a quick link to some that are sold on "Deal Extreme" web site. You can also get them at Walmart or anywhere they sell smaller watch-camera batteries.

DealExtreme: $3.43 2032 x 20 pcs Cell Batteries

2011 Evora Starlight Black/Gold.
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow- (sold)
2014 Ford Escape
2008 Nissan Xterra
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 05:51 PM

Ever since I got my BWR unikey I keep a spare key hidden in the cabin an the spare Fob in the tool pouch in the trunk. Saved me a few times when I have locked my unikey in the trunk at an event when in a hurry, just unlock the trunk with the spare key. And if my unikey battery goes flat I have the spare fob in the trunk.

2009 Elise S,Rev 400 ,t Ferrea Valves , MWR springs,PPE headers and decat,SSC Harness bar, PenskeDA,Shaved V2 steering arms ,FF engine damper. Saikou Michi catch cans, Modded Toyota E153 gearbox ,60l Proalloy fuel tank , Aeromotive 320 fuel pump,Exedy clutch LSD , SSC ECU, CompositeWorx SP1 seats ,Varexy muffler, Haltech Elite 1500 ECU, Racepak IQ3 Street dash, Aussie-clamhinge.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:14 PM

Got locked out of my car today ... I was in the parking lot looking like an idiot trying to break into a Lotus. Everytime I push the button on my key fob , the alarm goes off .. it would not unlock. A friend took me to the nearest CVS and got me a new 2032 battery ... I didn't know you had to hold down both button to make it work with the new battery. Had to go back into my office and found this post.

Holding both button near my passenger side window didn't work. I went over to the driver side and tried it and it worked. I went back to my office and measure the voltage on the old battery .. it only read 2.6 volts while the new battery reads 3.3 volts so yes, the key fob battery was low.

Thanks for this post .. almost had to call a tow truck.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:53 PM

I carry a guitar string (A string) in my wallet; I've used it twice to unlock the car. First time was my own fault and I was in front of a music store, second time was at the dealer after getting recall work done. The string, threaded through the ball at the end, catches nicely on the groove of the door pin and is easy to tighten and pull up on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in