Odd Track Exige problem. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By cyow5
  • 1 Post By Gunpilot
  • 1 Post By Gunpilot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Odd Track Exige problem.

Okay its been a while since I've been on here, and yes I'm not dead.

Had a problem with my car at Barber this weekend that is perplexing me so going to throw this out there and see what I get. MODS please feel free to move this where you wish.

Did a track day in early spring, last two times out as temps got higher (80's) once in a while in a hard right hand turn the car sputtered then did fine on the strait. Did another track day in late spring and it got worse in the afternoon high (80's) hard RH turn, would stall but restart on the strait. Both weekends the car ran fine in the AM. Last week I cleaned the MAF, air filter and the intake thinking maybe I had some gunk on my MAF.

This weekend first time out, temps (94) got about 7 laps in car died in a hard RH turn, restarted, then sputtered, then died and would not restart. I had to do the walk of shame and be towed in. Pulling on and off the trailer day before it ran fine. Let it sit 45 min to an hour, starts up runs great then when the temps come up it dies in the paddock. I spent about 6 hours yesterday when I could get it to run wiggling wires. Fuel pump wires, kill switch wires, wires to the fuel pump on the kill switch with no luck. Once temps came up it dies. Let it sit an hour it starts fine and loaded it on the trailer.

My first theory was maybe I had water in the fuel it was slinging to the left and going in the pickup. My next theory was maybe it was a dirty MAF but that didn't work either. My new next theory is it definitely seems heat related and I'm wondering if its the fuel pump overheating. I still have the stock fuel pump and I'm wondering if its just dying when it gets hot but have no clue if it has a thermal switch on it. Each time it happened and dies the coolant temps are around 195 to 200. I replaced the thermostat last year with a TRD one. Dash shows no codes at all. O2 sensors are a few years old but if those where going you would think I would throw a code. Car has a BOE torque tune but the software wont allow me to dump the learned memory, thinking it may be octane scaleing, but that's very unlikely. When it runs or doesn't run I still have good manifold pressure coming off the surge tank which is confusing me. Pressure stays good when I try to start it then drops as the relay kicks off as I would expect it should because a successful start didn't occur.

So now where to start? Does this engine have some sort of temp sensor that cuts it off to save the powerplant?

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thank you....

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:29 PM

It's turning off? Or just misfiring then cleaning up? Odd there is no CEL? Do you have aftermarket injectors, check the leads? There is no thermal shutoff based on my experience.

Mine would misfire after it got hot, and eventually I changed the harness and it was fine.

This is why I have a full standalone datalogger now...

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

OK now I'm going to throw a wrench into it. Just being anal I went to check my oil level even though I have no leaks and changed the oil Thursday. My dipstick is stuck and wont come out. I have a Sector baffled oil pan and a stock dipstick.

Another theory, hard RH turns, dipstick stuck in one of the baffles, oil starvation, ECU shutting engine down? Takes time to reset it?

Going to RA in two weeks this is going to make me loose sleep!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

kfennell - First few times it misfired then cleaned up, this weekend engine just died and would not start unless I let it sit. No CELs, have Deitchworks injectors. Was using a Racecapture but it stinks so I don't plug it in.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
OK now I'm going to throw a wrench into it. Just being anal I went to check my oil level even though I have no leaks and changed the oil Thursday. My dipstick is stuck and wont come out. I have a Sector baffled oil pan and a stock dipstick.

Another theory, hard RH turns, dipstick stuck in one of the baffles, oil starvation, ECU shutting engine down? Takes time to reset it?

Going to RA in two weeks this is going to make me loose sleep!
I don't think that the engine shuts down for low oil pressure either, I have my dipstick get stuck sometimes and its never a problem. Never had it shut down before when the aim shows it losing pressure.

For sure check that the injector wires arent grounding on the intake. That supports that it happens when moving around...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

1st on my list, thanks bro!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Bump

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:35 AM

Maybe try bypassing the inertia switch? The inertia switch is a major safety feature though and should be put back to functioning order immediately after you know if it made a difference or not. You could also swap it with a known good one, but, in the strictest sense, you cannot know for sure the new one did not fail right after/during install.
SS Lotus Elise likes this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:12 AM

Garage
So you were the one! Just kidding. I had almost the same thing happen a few weeks ago at AMP, causing 2 black flags. The first time was on a hard, off camber right hander. It turned out to be a blown fuse for the fuel pump. Replaced it, drove it around, all seemed fine. Just as I was getting on track (no turns), it died again. The fuse blew again. Neither me or my Lotus guru mechanic could find anything wrong. Another of his clients who tracks his car had the same thing happen on track. On his, the inertia switch was partly thrown. So we are both going to switch them out (once they arrive).

I went to Barber praying I would not die as soon as I got on track (despite not having the problem since), but it ran great (though you did pass me a couple times). It was great having so many Lotus's out there.

Good luck finding your problem.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Lotus Elise View Post
So you were the one! Just kidding. I had almost the same thing happen a few weeks ago at AMP, causing 2 black flags. The first time was on a hard, off camber right hander. It turned out to be a blown fuse for the fuel pump. Replaced it, drove it around, all seemed fine. Just as I was getting on track (no turns), it died again. The fuse blew again. Neither me or my Lotus guru mechanic could find anything wrong. Another of his clients who tracks his car had the same thing happen on track. On his, the inertia switch was partly thrown. So we are both going to switch them out (once they arrive).

I went to Barber praying I would not die as soon as I got on track (despite not having the problem since), but it ran great (though you did pass me a couple times). It was great having so many Lotus's out there.

Good luck finding your problem.
All you had to do is ask me to ride with you. Im an instructor and never have a problem giving some Lotus brethren some coaching!
SS Lotus Elise likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
I don't think that the engine shuts down for low oil pressure either, I have my dipstick get stuck sometimes and its never a problem. Never had it shut down before when the aim shows it losing pressure.

For sure check that the injector wires arent grounding on the intake. That supports that it happens when moving around...
Talked to Eldon today on the phone, he speaks very highly of you and gave me some more Ideas!
kfennell likes this.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:56 PM
Addict

Garage
I am not sure if your issue is similar but last year I had an issue with a wire in the ECU harness that took a while to affect the car, 20 minutes of driving or so. Seems there is some silicone in the ECU that ended up in my connector and caused an issue with one of my injector wires. Not sure if all ECUs have similar silicone or not, could see it on the pin when pulled out of the harness connector.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Anyone know if the MFRU is also a Toyota part?

A111M6024F = Lotus Part Number $115 YWB100970 = TRW Part Number $85

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:36 AM

It is not a toyota part

edit: not searching through the forum, but be suspicious of non lotus part numbers without confirmation. This is a common package with many iterations for many cars it would seem, so it may plug in, but do unknown and unexpected things.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Gotcha, in touch with Dino now at Gator seeing what he can do.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
Gotcha, in touch with Dino now at Gator seeing what he can do.
He sent me a kit to check all the pins with when I was trying to find my problem, unfortunately that wasnt it, but still helpful to have.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Bump

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:25 AM

I'll second the loose wire. For two seasons I was having sputtering after my first track session. The culprit turned out to be a combination of my IAT sensor that was on its way out, as well as a loose connection to that sensor.

Also, I see you're in Enterprise. Fort Rucker no doubt!? I'm there a few times a year on business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in