Pedal adjustment for heel'n'toeing - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 02:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog_16
This thread reminded me that I wanted to give this a shot. I really want to firm up the initial brake pedal travel. Unfortunately, I think I might be too big to get in there (6' 3" and about 220lbs). I tried from both sides, but was afraid I might get stuck or have serious trouble getting out. If I had someone who lived with me to help me get out I might be more adventurous. To me, I seemed to have a better angle at it from the driver's side. Any suggestions?
It can help a bunch if you yank the seat...you can lay in there a few different ways. If that does not create enough space, time to get a skinny friend to help ya out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:41 PM

I was going to do the throttle height adjustment this evening when I realized a nut was needed for the M5X15 bolt... too late to run out and get one... tomorrow night, then.

Does the bolt head wear on the pedal arm over time? Is it worth coating the bold head so it's more like the rubber upstop?

Can one person adjust the throttle cable and downstop easily so that the cable isn't stressed, or is this a two person job -- one at the pedal and one at the throttle?

BTW, I'm 6'2", 180 lbs with long torso and broad shoulders... it's a very tight squeeze ...
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 04:06 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrblu
I was going to do the throttle height adjustment this evening when I realized a nut was needed for the M5X15 bolt... too late to run out and get one... tomorrow night, then. Does the bolt head wear on the pedal arm over time? Is it worth coating the bold head so it's more like the rubber upstop? Can one person adjust the throttle cable and downstop easily so that the cable isn't stressed, or is this a two person job -- one at the pedal and one at the throttle? BTW, I'm 6'2", 180 lbs with long torso and broad shoulders... it's a very tight squeeze ...
Wear and tear is esentially neglible @ the upstop. You could use a nylon bolt if desired.

For one person, you need a way to hold the gas pedal floored....I used a shower curtain rod whose length can be adjusted.

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 06:55 PM

I just finished my throttle height adjustment. I used an M5X12 instead of a 15 and just 2 washers instead of 3 for the upstop because I didn't have enough threads on the throttle adjuster. I tore the old rubber upstop taking it out so there's no going back

The service manual says to adjust the throttle cable for the upstop and then adjust the downstop so as not to stress the cable. I used two overlapping scraps of plywood clamped together with spring clamps and wedged against the extruded Al piece on the floor to hold the throttle pedal down, checked throttle position, then readjusted the downstop repeatedly until I achieved about 98-99% WOT -- I left a slight gap since foot pressure will probably compress the rubber downstop buffer more than the hand pressure I used when wedging in the "wooden leg".

I think I'll drive it a few days before making any other adjustments/modifications... need to get used to the new pedal height.

Thanks for the advice... and the photos were very helpful!
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 10:40 PM

what about 06 pedals?

I have an 06 car. While the pedals are closer together, the accelerator is still not very wide. I'm wondering about a pedal extender for the accelerator but it is not the same accelerator pedal as the 05. It looks rather bland in comparison and is also (apparently) steel, not aluminum. Any ideas/suggestions?

Scott
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 11:12 PM

Hey Chuck (lucksta)... I saw you posted a follow-up to my last post suggesting I may have adjusted my cable incorrectly and it looks like you have since deleted that follow-up.

Anyway, I was concerned so I double-checked the "Lotus Service Notes", section JJ.11 and double checked my adjustments. This is really a 2-person job -- one person at the pedals and one at the throttle butterfly. I didn't have that option this evening so I checked free pedal movement using a long stick. I marked a line on the stick and a line on a small cardboard box resting on a stool so I could push the pedal with the stick while I watched the throttle actuator. As soon as it moved, I checked the displacement of my index marks -- about 3mm, which is in the 2-3 mm as prescribed.

After a bit of driving, I like the brake/throttle relative height much better. I'll probably shift the brake pedal to the right so it's centered on the arm... that should do it
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:10 AM

Nvrblu -

After re-reading my post I realized that you gotten things right thus I deleted so as not to confuse. Throttle pedal adjust does make a huge difference. Not sure why Lotus didn't ship our cars that way.

-Chuck

"Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

- Wallis Simpson, Dutchess of Windsor

2005 Magnetic Blue
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucksta
Nvrblu -
Not sure why Lotus didn't ship our cars that way.

-Chuck
As too why Lotus didn't setup our cars better for heal and toe I seem to remember the problem that Audi had years ago. Remember all the bad publicity about Audi's sudenly lurching forward and running people over? Which lead to things like "get Audi the way!" If I remember corectly all the independant testing came back with that people were stomping on the Gas when they were trying to brake, user error. It would be a shame, but not that surprising, that the pedal setup we've ended up with from the factory was tuned to keep the average Joe from stomping on the gas while going for the brake. Especially here in the good old litigious USA. A small company like Lotus could disappear with the kind of litigation that Audi had to go through with they're problem. Anyway I wonder?

2005 Elise, CO, LSS, Hard Top
2015 Fiesta ST, Race Red
1986 BMW E30 325E - 24 Hours of LeMons race turd

The B-Team, 24 Hours of LeMons Race Team
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:47 AM

I'll add a few comments on my experience with this adjustment. Yes, you do need a nut on the upstop bolt - I didn't know that at the time, and didn't have a metric nut to fit. Since I had cut out the rubber upstop, I left the bolt in place, with an english nut just on the end to keep the bolt from completely coming out until I could get an M5 nut the next morning (big mistake) Test drove the car and it was much much better for H&T. The next day, on the way to work, at one point I floored the car to test WOT - well second big mistake . The throttle stuck OPEN - I notice when I went to up**** and the rev limiter kicked in. Luckly, I was in the left lane - I let the clutch back out to get the revs back down and turned the key off to kill the engine, coasting to a stop on the side of the road. When I examined the pedal, all appeared fine. The throttle quadrant was stuck open part way, so I pulled it back to idle. Checked the upstop bolt, check the throttle adjustment point to see if it was loose. Cautiously restarted the engine and it appeared to be fine. Good for me, as I had no tools with me!

All I can think of was that either the upstop bolt got caught sort of sideways (since it was not tight with the english nut), which would cause the throttle to be stuck partially open, OR the cable was pulled too tight and got bound up on something.

I readjusted the whole thing again - the black metal bracket which holds the upstop bolt was bent slightly (causing the pedal to come even further forward, leaving more slack in the cable), so I bent it back - has anyone else seen this?

I readjusted the downstop to prevent as much pedal travel, and also readjusted the throttle cable near the quadrant. I think it is right now, but I'm going to have my dealer double check it to ensure I'm not stretching the cable.

I can now H&T the car much much better, so this is well worth it, but just be careful with the adjustment - I should have been moreso than I was....

-R Warden

2005 Lotus Elise - ST, HT, Ohlin double adjustable coilovers, BWR ARB, Tri-point SC!, FF header, lightened flywheel
2001 Audi S4
1999 Porsche Boxster - ZucZ sport Exhaust, PSS9 Coilovers
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 05:50 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixlpush
As too why Lotus didn't setup our cars better for heal and toe I seem to remember the problem that Audi had years ago. Remember all the bad publicity about Audi's sudenly lurching forward and running people over? Which lead to things like "get Audi the way!" If I remember corectly all the independant testing came back with that people were stomping on the Gas when they were trying to brake, user error. It would be a shame, but not that surprising, that the pedal setup we've ended up with from the factory was tuned to keep the average Joe from stomping on the gas while going for the brake. Especially here in the good old litigious USA. A small company like Lotus could disappear with the kind of litigation that Audi had to go through with they're problem. Anyway I wonder?
I don't think that was it, our pedals are so weird anyway compared to "normal" cars but who knows? I suspect it was just not that big of a deal compared to getting the Toyota engine into the car, revising the rear suspension, adding airbags, etc. Along with just getting the car here and launching it.

If you follow the direction in the Lotus service manual you'll see that it really helps. You can read online a bit, to find other tweaks to do while you're at it.
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
I suspect it was just not that big of a deal compared to getting the Toyota engine into the car, revising the rear suspension, adding airbags, etc. Along with just getting the car here and launching it.
Along the idea of this, are the brake light switches still set so that they don't come on early - when you first start moving the pedal - and instead coming on when the brakes are actually stopping the car?

This was a problem with the early cars - it's an easy fix (just adjust the plunger on the switch by hand) - but is it still a problem with the newer cars? I haven't heard of anyone complaining about it for a long time...

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
It can help a bunch if you yank the seat...you can lay in there a few different ways. If that does not create enough space, time to get a skinny friend to help ya out!
Thanks Stan! I'll give it a shot. Worst case, I will look into having a tech do it at my next service.
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:58 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog_16
Thanks Stan! I'll give it a shot. Worst case, I will look into having a tech do it at my next service.
You're welcome! I seem to fit the best if I get down there on my back coming in from the passenger side. Sometimes feet up by the roll bar works.
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Elise Guru

Yes, "Theatre of Pain" comes to mind

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:00 PM

I adjusted both pedals. I can heel toe easily.....now...Thanks Stan
I machined a wider brake pedal with a wide slot on the bottom. I tapped the
brake arm in the car for a 10-24 thread. I use a wing bolt for quick adjustment. I move the pedal way right on track day and back to the middle for around town.
Attached Images

post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 11:44 AM

pixlpush,

What Ultimate Pedal did you get for your gas pedal? I looked on their site and they don't list Lotus...
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedr117
pixlpush,

What Ultimate Pedal did you get for your gas pedal? I looked on their site and they don't list Lotus...
You have to call them and ask for the pedal for the Elise. It's based on a Ferrari pedal, but I don't recall which one.

-Rwarden

2005 Lotus Elise - ST, HT, Ohlin double adjustable coilovers, BWR ARB, Tri-point SC!, FF header, lightened flywheel
2001 Audi S4
1999 Porsche Boxster - ZucZ sport Exhaust, PSS9 Coilovers
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarden
You have to call them and ask for the pedal for the Elise. It's based on a Ferrari pedal, but I don't recall which one.

-Rwarden
All the older Ferraris use the same gas pedal,and it looks like the one Pixlpush is using.I think that using the one from a 246 is appropriate.

Laser blue,biscuit, micro mirror, "Blue knob" ,HID lights,Euro LED rear lights,LED headlight rings,rear badge,blue starter button, replaced speakers,perma grin,
Club111 The Sith lord of the LB's loyal henchman
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Buz

There is a tiny bit of slop in the pedal from the clearance of the hardware and then about 10mm of firm travel before it seems the master cylinder engages. Where is the adjustment that allows the extra travel to be removed? I also did not see an adjustment for the brake light switch. Do you bend the bracket? I only want to get back under there one more time for this, it is harder to get back out than to get in there.
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:32 PM

The adjustment for the brake light switch is actually the little button on the switch,you pop it out 2 or 3 notches with a flat blade screwdiver,it takes 5 sec's unless you go too far and have to push it back in, and start over.

Laser blue,biscuit, micro mirror, "Blue knob" ,HID lights,Euro LED rear lights,LED headlight rings,rear badge,blue starter button, replaced speakers,perma grin,
Club111 The Sith lord of the LB's loyal henchman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in