Pedal adjustment for heel'n'toeing - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 07:15 AM

Adding pads etc is a waste! There is at least 1.5 inches of adjustment available between gas peadal and brake pedal adjustments!! I actulla had to back off on the gas pedal lowering because I went way too far. Yes its a pia job because it takes time but it is not "difficult" . Anytime you add a part you have the potential for a part to fail, break, etc. Do it right by adjusting the brake where you wnat itso your arms are in the "perfect position ie with back against the seat. wrist should just lap over wheel. Then adjust gas pedal to your desired blip level. Keep level of gas pedal a little higher if its a street car because you won't get deep into the brakes very often, and lower so you can get that 6000rpm blip for track downshifts! I've spent a lot of time treaking this because I find it has let me carry speed deeper into corners because of the increased confidence that I won't miss that ideal downshift needed to get on power at the apex etc.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peck555
The adjustment for the brake light switch is actually the little button on the switch,you pop it out 2 or 3 notches with a flat blade screwdiver,
I adjusted mine just using my fingers to grab the switch plunger and pull out the notches. It is really easy to do, once you get access to the switch that is...

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Buz

I could not find a post on lowering the clutch pedal. There does not appear to be a nut locking the rod to the slave cylinder yet it does not want to turn. Can it be adjusted?

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:28 PM

does anyone know where i can find the hnt pad ? sector have stopped selling it....

i am not willing to do all these adjustments. too afraid of something doing wrong...

thx

I have the simplest tastes...
I am only satisfied with the best !!!

"Simplify & Add Lightness"

J.P
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 AM

Before you look for the HNT pad, be aware that the pedals changed between 2005 and 2006 models. The HNT, IIRC, only worked with 2005s.

As for adjusting the pedals - it really isn't that hard. If you can tighten and loosen bolts, you'll be fine.

ed

Magnetic Blue/LSS Delivered: 1/13/05
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:34 AM

I offer a solution for the '06-'07 and I assume the '08s:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/show...t=problem+heel

'06 Ardent Red Elise - black interior with LSS, Touring, HT, Starshield, Lotus Sport Clutch, Moroso Oil Pan, Ekological HIDs, Lotus Driving Lights, Stebel Horn, Bootie, Razo '06 Pedal mod,Snorkel Delete,Odyssey 680 with s111 bracket.
WOO-HOO!
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:41 AM

mine is an 04...

iwas looking for the hnt even used but can't find it...

anywhere else?any hint
it has become tiring

isaw ur excellent guide but besides moving the brake pedal towards the right i don't want to mess with other things. i have installed the goodridge hoses and from then on the brake pedal is much lower even from stock. ihave a great problem i definetely need this hnt pad !!!

thx a lot

I have the simplest tastes...
I am only satisfied with the best !!!

"Simplify & Add Lightness"

J.P
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:37 AM

I couldn't find a good way to adjust the brake pedal using the notes in this thread. Instead, a friend and I adjusted the gas pedal by removing the rubber stop entirely and shortening the throttle cable. Now, when nothing is depressed, the gas pedal is about 1" to 1-1/2" below the level of the brake pedal. When the brake pedal is pressed, the gas pedal is level with the brake pedal.

Through some miracle, the gas pedal hits its full extent, but no more, just at wide open throttle. We stuck a piece of duct tape on the aluminum to prevent scratches, figuring it wouldn't be necessary all that often and so didn't need to be a more durable solution.

I've tried it this way for a couple of track days and, although my technique certainly needs work, the mechanics seem to work beautifully.

I was concerned that the cable tension could be tricky to get right or that my right foot would get cought on the brake pedal in normal driving, but I haven't had any troubles so far.
Attached Images

'05 Elise
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 AM

A couple more photos of the throttle cable.
Attached Images

'05 Elise
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:09 AM

bump

No condition is permanent (death may be the exception)
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
* Search a bit and print out some posts from this site. There are more than are listed below.

* Two of the mods are right in the Lotus Service manual, which they should have regardless: See page 19 of the "Braking System" which is unit JJ of the manual.

* From the manual section JJ: "Adjustment Throttle cable:
- The pedal is pulled against a rubber buffer on a steel upstop bracket by an extension spring.
- Adjust the cable outer length at the engine end abutment bracket to allow 2 - 3mm of pedal movement
before the throttle is actuated.
- Set the downstop in the pedal footpad such that vigorous full depression of the pedal achieves full
opening of the throttle butterfly without allowing the cable to be strained.
- An alternative pedal position which may be preferred for 'heel and toeing' may be achieved by replacing
the rubber upstop buffer with a M5x15 hex. head setscrew, with three flat washers beneath the head for a
total thickness of around 7mm. The cable must then be re-adjusted at the engine abutment as above.
The footpad downstop bolt should then be replaced by an M8x20 setscrew and reset as above.
Brake pedal:
- The pedal is pulled 'off' by an extension spring anchored to a bracket rivetted to the scuttle beam.
- There is normally a gap of approximately 3mm between the brake pedal and the pedal box upstop flange
with the pedal released. If preferred, the brake pedal can be raised slightly by adjusting the effective
length of the pushrod at its connection to the clevis, but the master cylinder must never be preloaded
, i.e.
there must always be a small clearance between the pedal and upstop bracket to ensure that the master
cylinder piston is allowed fully to return and open the reservoir port.
- After any adjustment, tighten the clevis locknut and check operation of the brake light switch.
I really want to do this mod but these instructions confusing with out the pictures, as I am not a mechanic and can't even pretend to be one. Is there any other place that still have the pictures and play-by-play walk through of the gas peddle adjustment?
andersmr likes this.
post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:17 PM

To lower accelerator pedal - From the Lotus Service Notes:

Adjustment
Throttle cable:
- The pedal is pulled against a rubber buffer on a steel upstop bracket by an extension spring.
- Adjust the cable outer length at the engine end abutment bracket to allow 2 - 3mm of pedal movement before the throttle is actuated.
- Set the downstop in the pedal footpad such that vigorous full depression of the pedal achieves full opening of the throttle butterfly without allowing the cable to be strained.
- An alternative pedal position which may be preferred for 'heel and toeing' may be achieved by replacing the rubber upstop buffer with a M5x15 hex. head setscrew, with three flat washers beneath the head for a
total thickness of around 7mm. The cable must then be re-adjusted at the engine abutment as above.
The footpad downstop bolt should then be replaced by an M8x20 setscrew and reset as above.
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:41 PM

Any way to access the pictures from Stan's #8 post?

Last edited by andersmr; 06-05-2019 at 07:43 PM. Reason: clarity
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:18 AM

I have the old sector pedals. I just put some spacers under the gas pedal to push it out more.

This allows me to roll my foot right and hit the gas pedal since it’s closer.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in