Phone mount for in car video - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Phone mount for in car video

Doing my first autocross this Saturday (pretty excited) and I know it’s a bit last minute but does anyone have a good recommendation for a quick mount I can buy to record video inside my Elise? I know from other threads that a quality camera is preferred but I’m not quite there yet. Thinking about mounting it low on the rear glass also so I can see shifting as well as navigating the course. Appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:14 AM

I have no first hand experience with pre-made phone mounts. I don't know where you live, but here in Texas and I can assume in other hot climates just beware of the weather. If you mount your phone in the front window (or any place with direct sun), or leave your car closed up, the phone might reboot or lock up due to overheating. I have heard many many times over auto-x or track weekends where people were bitching about their phones not capturing their video. Easy to work around this (don't leave your phone in the car) but I thought I would mention it to ya. Have fun out there!

Click links to see my 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240 , '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold) , '05 WRX STI ( sold) homepages or here for my spin compilations (ispunuwin & ispinuwin2!)!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
I have no first hand experience with pre-made phone mounts. I don't know where you live, but here in Texas and I can assume in other hot climates just beware of the weather. If you mount your phone in the front window (or any place with direct sun), or leave your car closed up, the phone might reboot or lock up due to overheating. I have heard many many times over auto-x or track weekends where people were bitching about their phones not capturing their video. Easy to work around this (don't leave your phone in the car) but I thought I would mention it to ya. Have fun out there!
That’s a good point because I had even thought about sticking the mount on the top pillar just below the soft top, might bake it like a turkey in NC heat. I’m planning to only have it on the mount and recording while I’m driving and taking it out after each run.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:52 PM
krn

I haven't fully tested it yet, but I'm experimenting with a Scosche MagicMount which uses magnets. To make it easier to remount (or just remove cleanly, if it doesn't work out), I've sandwiched 3M Outdoor Command strips between the mount and surface. The outdoor version holds better in a wider range of temperatures than the usual picture hanging type of Command strip, which sounds like a concern in this case.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 PM

I've found that RAM brand mounts work pretty well, even in intense heat and stuff. A harness bar mount or a fixed stick-on mount will always work better since they'll vibrate less, but a good, sturdy suction mount works pretty well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krn View Post
I haven't fully tested it yet, but I'm experimenting with a Scosche MagicMount which uses magnets. To make it easier to remount (or just remove cleanly, if it doesn't work out), I've sandwiched 3M Outdoor Command strips between the mount and surface. The outdoor version holds better in a wider range of temperatures than the usual picture hanging type of Command strip, which sounds like a concern in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinr View Post
I've found that RAM brand mounts work pretty well, even in intense heat and stuff. A harness bar mount or a fixed stick-on mount will always work better since they'll vibrate less, but a good, sturdy suction mount works pretty well.
I had one of those magic mounts in my other car and when it got above 80 degrees the adhesive failed the mount became useless but I didn’t know they had outdoor versions I’ll give them a look!

Those RAM mounts look almost military grade! Where do you have yours suctioned that works well?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:11 AM

Garage
There are knock off video cameras on ebay and some stores for about $25-50 that work pretty well. I used one for about 2 years for my track videos. They will be much easier to mount than a phone.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
krn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dviolet8981 View Post
I had one of those magic mounts in my other car and when it got above 80 degrees the adhesive failed the mount became useless but I didnít know they had outdoor versions Iíll give them a look!
Just clarifying, the mount doesn't come in an outdoor version, but I used the outdoor version of the 3M Command strip instead to adhere it. The package claimed it's good to 125 F (51 C). Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in