Post your track videos here! - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 1506 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apk919 View Post
My first track day with the Radical SR3RS...

Radical SR3: First Track Day; Spring Mountain 4.0 Mile Config - YouTube

14 seconds a lap faster than my 2-Eleven, and I'm not even at the limit in the fast sweepers yet...
Ummm..........You looked pretty fast in the 2-Eleven,so 14 seconds faster than that? Wow. You are moving, sir
Overall impressions on the Radical vs. the 2-Eleven other than it's a hell of a lot quicker?

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1506 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCC View Post
Ummm..........You looked pretty fast in the 2-Eleven,so 14 seconds faster than that? Wow. You are moving, sir
Overall impressions on the Radical vs. the 2-Eleven other than it's a hell of a lot quicker?

Thanks for sharing

Well, the biggest differences in order of importance are:

1) Waaaaaaaay more aero downforce.
2) Paddle shift close-ratio sequential with flat upshift and auto-blip downshift
3) Dual master cylinder unassisted brakes with bias control and no ABS

The aero downforce is just incredible. At speeds below 80mph or so the handling is similar to the 2-Eleven, with a bit more grip. At higher speeds, the cornering and braking grip increases to unbelievable levels. It definitely will take some getting used to.

The close ratio sequential means you shift a lot more frequently, but the flappy paddles make it easy.

The brakes are awesome, but you have to judge optimal brake pressure with vehicle speed... when you have aero downforce, you can really hammer the brakes; but you have to quickly reduce pressure as the aero downforce bleeds off at lower speeds.

It's really quite well behaved at the limit... so far
post #123 of 1506 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Sounds awesome Andy. It must be a bit unnerving trying to figure out what the high speed cornering limits are. Sounds like it will be akin to an on/off switch (not so lol!). What influenced your choice in that line up?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU

post #124 of 1506 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Am I the only one that watched Andy's video of his new Radical SR3-RS? This thing is incredible AND it's British

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #125 of 1506 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 PM

Radical's are just on a whole other level, I've piloted many and Andy's synopsis of the car is spot on. You really do have to learn to "trust the down force", the cornering grip at speed with these cars is mind blowing.

Oh, and BTW Andy, congrats on the SR3 but sorry it will ruin you just about any other car.... :-)

00' S1 Exige
17' Jaguar F-Type R
94' S4 Esprit (SOLD)
14' Evora S (SOLD)

Last edited by mikelr; 12-15-2012 at 07:26 PM.
post #126 of 1506 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I know it's late in the season, but checking to see if there are any track videos that have yet to be posted.
Chris

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #127 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM

post #128 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 12:14 AM
BANNED

post #129 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Seriously Andy, how do you trust that the thing isn't going to just fly off the track when you're taking a corner at 2g's? I've said it before, but that car, in the proper hands looks insanely fun.

BTW , is your steering wheel the size of a Cheerio? It's pretty darn small. Lol.
Thanks for sharing.

Dr. J, are you in the car with the camera, or in that white Exige? Wow, at the 1:50 mark that Exige was braking awfully late and went very hot into the corner. I watched it several times, laughing at how quickly he passed the two of you. He just couldn't match the power in the straights.
Thanks for sharing. I was thinking that track days were done for the season, but I hadn't considered that we have international representation on the forum.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #130 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 AM
BANNED

Thanks...I was the one in the Exige...and yes, I'm brutal on brakes.

I lined up right behind the three Porsche 997 GTs in pit out...driving on a curent F1 track is just Lot(u)s of fun! I plan to do the Yas Marina track in Abu Dabi on March 14th.

The season for open track days in the Middle East is from the second week in September through the second week of May...the rest of the year is just too f-ing hot to do anything!
post #131 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Dr. J,
What rotors are you using? One of my patients brought in a dba4000 rotor that he just purchased for his base 2.5 WRX. The rotor measured 11 1/2" in diameter and felt like it weighed 200lbs! I should have weighed it.
I just changed out the rotors and pads on my wife's mid size SUV and I thought the dba's felt heavier.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #132 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Seriously Andy, how do you trust that the thing isn't going to just fly off the track when you're taking a corner at 2g's? I've said it before, but that car, in the proper hands looks insanely fun.
You don't trust that thing... at first. You gradually increase speed until you start to get the familiar sensations of increasing slip angle, understeer, oversteer, etc. Once you know what it can do, then it's a matter of hitting your marks (braking point, turn-in point, apex, etc).

Quote:
BTW , is your steering wheel the size of a Cheerio? It's pretty darn small. Lol.
Thanks for sharing.
lol, it's a pretty small steering wheel... and it's a fast rack (less than one turn lock to lock)... but the steering effort is not unreasonably high.
post #133 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Dr. J,
What rotors are you using?
I'm running these in the front... 308mm Alcon Discs and Seriously Lotus Fully Floating Bells - Nitron
and OEM's in the back...

Last edited by <@@>; 01-12-2013 at 12:07 PM.
post #134 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;1835841
I'm running these in the front... 308mm Alcon Discs and Seriously Lotus Fully Floating Bells - Nitron
and OEM's in the back...
Nice rotors. I noticed at the 2:58 mark you get a bit squirrelly. Is that due to your having larger brakes up front and stock in the rear?

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #135 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 07:58 PM
BANNED

No...at that point I let the clutch out...Turn 1 is a 2nd gear turn and I'm still having problems getting it into 2nd gear. I've got the LETSLA and the Simply Sports Cars shift cables installed but I still need to adjust the whole shifting system. I think I need a larger plastic block (wider and longer) down by the shifter lever...there is one in there right now, but with the shortened throws of the LETSLA it does not do its job.

I do also think that my rear brakes are way under powered, but I'm still developing the car...I'll get there.
post #136 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I was thinking that track days were done for the season
What do you mean "done for the season"? You mean some of you guys don't do this year 'round? Okay, so it's January and a bit chilly. And there's some snow by the side of the track. And occasionally somebody cuts a corner a bit and brings some of the white stuff onto the apex. Are you telling me you'd rather go skiing than spend a day at the track?

HPR - January 6, 2013 - YouTube
post #137 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunschev View Post
What do you mean "done for the season"? You mean some of you guys don't do this year 'round? Okay, so it's January and a bit chilly. And there's some snow by the side of the track. And occasionally somebody cuts a corner a bit and brings some of the white stuff onto the apex. Are you telling me you'd rather go skiing than spend a day at the track?

HPR - January 6, 2013 - YouTube
ROTFL!!!
"A bit chilly" Ha.
I would rather be on the track than snowboarding, but how did you get the tires to stick???

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #138 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 AM
BANNED

Not really a track video, but it is a Lotus Exige on a track...I’m in the Bahrain International Circuit promotional video for Open Track days… my car is at 1:06 – 1:07 and 1:16 – 1:17. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBgd0fkm61I

Last edited by <@@>; 01-15-2013 at 05:29 AM.
post #139 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 AM
Plug Whisperer

Last Summer...

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #140 of 1506 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 AM
BANNED

It looks like you're making tons of HP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in