[Product] Mobius ActionCam 1080p HD brief review - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Terry

[Product] Mobius ActionCam 1080p HD brief review

I came across this product a month ago when I was in the market for some action cameras. At that time, GoPro just released their new entry level camera and it was a real tough decision for me to pick Mobius over GoPro.

My primary purpose for the camera is to use it as a dash cam, therefore, anything with clear picture and wide angle view would work just fine. Here's a little pros and cons analysis I did before the purchase:

Pros:
1. Total cost is a lot cheaper with mount + 32GB memory GoPro ($219) VS Mobius ($129)
2. A lot smaller and slimmer than a GoPro
3. Low profile look
4. Simple and easy to use
5. Similar specs compare to entry level GoPro

Cons:
1. Night video seems a bit grainy (still working on the programmable settings)

So after using it for around 3 weeks, I am really glad I made this purchase. It's definitely a great camera consider it's so cheap. You can purchase it for as low as $80 on amazon/ebay without the memory card. Picture quality is amazing. The 1080p feature 30fps wide angle view is just beautiful. Unfortunately I am not good at video processing, the video you are about to see has way higher quality than it shows on youtube. I am not sure why I can't upload it as 1080HD there... but yea, it's my first time making/editing a video so I'm pretty sure it's my fault.

works on Evora as well!

Here's the link to purchase:
Sales of Mobius Cameras, #16 Cameras, parts, and accessories.

Last edited by t955152; 10-20-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 04:46 AM

Garage
nice review!

hopefully you can get the nighttime stuff sorted out

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 PM

Yup, I've been eyeing this camera for the longest time now. What you get for what you pay is pretty incredible on that camera.
But the fact that GoPro shoots 4K won me over as I wanted too do some general shooting and futureproof myself from further upgrades...

I like the fact that it's tiny and still produce decent 1080p even under low light conditions(from looking test footages on youtubes).
It also has auto recording and looping feature, ability to transmit live video over wireless if you have the right equipment(for RC stuff).

I'm still willing to pick up a few of these in the near future for other projects.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty

Last edited by forkmeupscotty; 10-21-2014 at 09:50 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmeupscotty View Post
Yup, I've been eyeing this camera for the longest time now. What you get for what you pay is pretty incredible on that camera.
But the fact that GoPro shoots 4K won me over as I wanted too do some general shooting and futureproof myself from further upgrades...

I like the fact that it's tiny and still produce decent 1080p even under low light conditions(from looking test footages on youtubes).
It also has auto recording and looping feature, ability to transmit live video over wireless if you have the right equipment(for RC stuff).

I'm still willing to pick up a few of these in the near future for other projects.
you can borrow mine any day if you like to try around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoSL View Post
nice review!

hopefully you can get the nighttime stuff sorted out
thanks! yeah still trying to play around with the setting.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:11 PM

Garage
I'd like to have a camera like mounted behind me (and not be obtrusive) on the Evora, is that easy to do? Where does that usb cable off the camera lead to?

Past & Present:
2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport
2012 Aston Martin Rapide
2011 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Manual
2011 Lotus Evora - Aspen White
2005 Range Rover HSE
2007 Jaguar XK Coupe
2004 Jaguar XJ350 Vanden Plas
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi View Post
I'd like to have a camera like mounted behind me (and not be obtrusive) on the Evora, is that easy to do? Where does that usb cable off the camera lead to?
that leads to the 12V power plug. I believe it's doable.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 08:20 PM

The thing I like the most about this camera is that there's a fairly large RC group hacking this camera, currently. I mean, where else can you get a decent 1080p camera that weighs 40grams?

brightoncorgi, if you really wanted, you could probably have the camera sensor/lense mounted remotely from its body using the extension ribbon cable.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ble_200mm.html
Something like what this guy did.

I thought about taking the camera apart and embedding the camera within the rear 3rd brake light like what this guy did a LONG time ago in this thread(https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...-3-part-92798/). The post is old so the picture is no longer there, but I hope it gives you some ideas.
It should work as the rear camera solution that I desperately need(but didn't for the past 3 years ) since the camera can provide live video.

Terry, or anyone else for that matter, take a look at this thread(The Mobius ActionCam Support Thread (Posts #1-#8 mandatory reading!) - RC Groups) if you have time(and a lot of it), it's like a uberthread on the camera, and there are some useful setup tips and stuff.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 04:25 AM

Thanks for the review, Software work on Mac?

http://www.youtube.com/jerusdc
BOE TVS
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn C View Post
Thanks for the review, Software work on Mac?
I believe The config file is actually a .txt file, the software just generates the .txt file for you. It's available in mac.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 11:36 AM

Smiles

I just got this Mobius from Amazon cause of your thread, I think the picture quality for 89bucks it awesome. Question mine came with no instructions? Did you get any? How to adjust time and what not. The only thing I know is if the red light is blinking it's recording.

Cheers
2005 MB, Red interior, sport/tour packs, stage 2 exhaust
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 12:17 PM

Yeah, remote control quadcopters are another hobby of mine and these little cameras are very well thought of in that community. Nice review!

Weekend Toy - 2005 Elise
Daily Driver - Hyundai Veloster N
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:56 PM

I use these on quadcopters too.

The GoPro firmware seems to do better at setting exposure. Light-to-dark and vice-versa is hard for the Mobius. It adjusts the shutter speed and ISO/sensor gain together (like most digital video cameras do) to set exposure, but it seems to do it with noticeable notches/steps, and not as quickly as the GoPro does.

There are a huge wealth of customizations and firmware options for the Mobius thanks to the community, but that also means you have to spend time tweaking to get the best image.

For the price difference I think the Mobius is a better camera, but for those without time/energy to tweak or for situations involving lots of lighting transitions the GoPro is still better.

My biggest problem with the Mobius is actually that it's so small and light (and the form factor is so strange) that it seems to be more prone to vibration than the GoPros.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 04:18 PM

Oh wow, I didn't know I didn't come with instructions... I wonder if that's part of the cost cutting measure..

does this help?
https://mobius-actioncam.com/faq/

Or this guy did what I thought was a pretty good review/how to use video.

I don't have the camera yet so..

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 05:02 AM

THNX forkmeupscotty,
nah probably just the Amazon vendor I picked. The camera was in a little shipping envelope in a little ziplock bag with just the cord, DC adapter and that was it, pretty crazy?

Forkmeupscotty who would have thought they have a website I downloaded the firmware and the instructions. Got everything figured out for now.

Cheers
2005 MB, Red interior, sport/tour packs, stage 2 exhaust

Last edited by Blue Devil; 11-01-2014 at 09:29 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Devil View Post
THNX forkmeupscotty,
nah probably just the Amazon vendor I picked. The camera was in a little shipping envelope in a little ziplock bag with just the cord, DC adapter and that was it, pretty crazy?

Forkmeupscotty who would have thought they have a website I downloaded the firmware and the instructions. Got everything figured out for now.
A little googling goes a long~~~~~ way

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in